• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Manifold nuts/studs

John L

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
Has anyone found an alternative to the standard manifold nuts? I can see these being a problem down the track.

Attachments

• manifold nuts.jpg
    manifold nuts.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 42
Sure have. I bought some dome titanium nuts off eBay and they look heaps better. No rust and cover up the threads.

I can offer a full stainless kit including studs for $25/pair in 316 stainless. If interested, post below and I will put them on the online Store here.

I’m interested. Could you put together a kit including exhaust gaskets? So 4 studs, nuts and 2 gaskets.

How easy is it to swap the studs?

Hi Todd, yes I would be interested, and as Rickhinnz says how easy is it to remove the studs?

I’m interested. Could you put together a kit including exhaust gaskets? So 4 studs, nuts and 2 gaskets. How easy is it to swap the studs?
Hi Todd, yes I would be interested, and as Rickhinnz says how easy is it to remove the studs?
Heh, always a curve ball thrown... I can do gaskets, just takes more time and adds to my expense to get the kit out, but sure.
All 1400's should be still new enough to simply double nut the existing studs to extract. There hasn't been many over the years, including 30+ old machines, that didn't bring them easily out or with a little help from penetrating (Kr)oil.
Let me get the numbers together and I'll post/put them online.

A word of warning. I installed stainless steel nuts a couple of years ago on my Cali 1400 Custom. Within days 3 out of the 4 nuts galled to the studs. When I went to undo the nuts the studs separated from the head instead.

I put one of the studs in the vice and tried to undo the nut. There was no way that was going to happen. I had to replace all the studs and use chromed brass dome nuts instead.

What I didn't understand is that galling is meant to occur with stainless steel on stainless steel, or that's what I thought. This was stainless steel on steel; it shouldn't have galled, but there's greater forces out there that I don't understand.

Kiwi Dave that was not aimed at you personally.

Price does not guarantee place of origin.
Talk to some metal fabricators.

I have "Stainless" bolts that are rusting, from China.

Kiwi Dave that was not aimed at you personally.

Price does not guarantee place of origin.
Talk to some metal fabricators.

I have "Stainless" bolts that are rusting, from China.

"Stainless Steel" is just a term describing steels that have a minimum amount of chromium (about 10.5%). The more chromium, the lower the likelihood that it will oxidize. The geographic origin has no meaning.

"Stainless Steel" is just a term describing steels that have a minimum amount of chromium (about 10.5%). The more chromium, the lower the likelihood that it will oxidize. The geographic origin has no meaning.
And if China is selling inferior products using less chromium then the geographic origin does have meaning.
Do we test all metals coming from China to make sure they are up to standards?

Rather than hitting out at China, why don't you just use good ol' USA stainless nuts on your exhaust studs and then report back that they're still OK and can be easily removed.

I always buy A4 (or AISA316) graded washers, bolts, nuts etc. They are used in a lot of marine applications so tend to be more resilient to corrosion.

Rather than hitting out at China, why don't you just use good ol' USA stainless nuts on your exhaust studs and then report back that they're still OK and can be easily removed.

Dude, I'm not hitting out on China to be mean or nasty.
Facts is facts & hardware that comes from over there is many times sub standard.
Note that I say Many Times not It's all Junk.

It's not just hardware either check out food labels like frozen fish that is packaged with Carbon Monoxide.
That's the stuff that cat converters are supposed to eliminate from vehicle exhausts.

Heh, always a curve ball thrown... I can do gaskets, just takes more time and adds to my expense to get the kit out, but sure.
All 1400's should be still new enough to simply double nut the existing studs to extract. There hasn't been many over the years, including 30+ old machines, that didn't bring them easily out or with a little help from penetrating (Kr)oil.
Let me get the numbers together and I'll post/put them online.

From manifold nuts to frozen fish. Perhaps Todd while you're getting the numbers together you could give us a price on frozen fish as well, how's that for a curve ball?

I can offer a full stainless kit including studs for $25/pair in 316 stainless. If interested, post below and I will put them on the online Store here.
Hi ya Todd, is that a pair of exhaust headers (ie both cylinders done) or is that a pair of studs (ie one cylinder done)? If it's both cylinders count me in.

Back