• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1400 loud vales right side

JayM

Just got it firing!
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2014 California Touring 1400. I brought it to dealer to have it checked out. It was making loud valve noises on right cylinder bu only at 2500 rpms and the again at around 3500 rpms. Weird. All valve clearances were off and adjusted but it did nothing to change the noist. The bike runs great but the noise is very irritating. Dealer says it runs great and everything is hunky dory. Anyone else have this issue? Or solution?

Thanks
J

Have you owned/ridden other Guzzis?; some level of valve train noise is to be expected. But without hearing what you're hearing, hard to diagnose.

No I have not. But I have owned several other bikes over 50 years of riding. But it is odd that it is one side only. Noise sounds like regular clicking of valves but louder at the rpms i referred to.

You have 4 adjusters on each head 2 on intake & 2 on exhaust. If dealer just whipped through it not spending much time, they may not be perfectly the same but within spec. Guzzi's make valve noise, some more than others and some one side noisier than the other. Just leave it alone or complain to the dealer & mechanic (latter not advised). Another thing to consider is the fake covers on it just makes the noise more amplified in my opinion, like ringing a bell.
I usually spend too much time on the 4V adjustment just to get them perfect and a torque wrench on the nuts so they are all the same, but that's me. They also sound the same on both sides but the noise WILL be different at changing RPM's, that is normal.

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2014 California Touring 1400. I brought it to dealer to have it checked out. It was making loud valve noises on right cylinder bu only at 2500 rpms and the again at around 3500 rpms. Weird. All valve clearances were off and adjusted but it did nothing to change the noist. The bike runs great but the noise is very irritating. Dealer says it runs great and everything is hunky dory. Anyone else have this issue? Or solution?

Thanks
J

Could the noise be something else? The California 1400 is well known for exhaust crossover pipe failures. When the weld breaks (not if, but when) there could be some noises that sound like they come from the cylinders instead of the exhaust break.

I am pretty sure mechanic checked all that, but I will continue looking. The noise is the same rhythm as the valves though.

Could the noise be something else? The California 1400 is well known for exhaust crossover pipe failures. When the weld breaks (not if, but when) there could be some noises that sound like they come from the cylinders instead of the exhaust break.

I'm well aware of the widespread crossover problem, and am looking for symptoms every few 1000 miles, however my 2014 California Custom has yet to exhibit any problems at close to 15000 miles now. I replaced the stock mufflers at 2000 miles with Mistral slipons though (reducing weight by I bet close to thirty pounds). Did have the buzzing forward heat shield problem. Fifteen minutes and Red Loctite on all shield screws solved that . Anyway, I imagine the reduced shaking mass is why the cracking hasn't happened here...

Hi,

Thanks
J

Ha I had exact same issue. I even posted here and put video on you tube see here https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/strange-rattle-from-the-beast.17431/#post-132539

After 18 months and 11000km, I've come to believe it's just the inherent nature of the beast. Nothing you can do except accept it or sell it

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I went back and read all your posts re: the rattle and it seems as if you discovered the cause was a loose muffler bolt at the head. Was that the solution or not? I'm a little confused.

Thanks
Jay

Thanks Paul,

I went back and read all your posts re: the rattle and it seems as if you discovered the cause was a loose muffler bolt at the head. Was that the solution or not? I'm a little confused.

Thanks
Jay

Hi not really. I still hsvh the noise or clatter at around 2400 rpm also about 3500. The noise simply comes and goes. It's not got any louder over time. I've just got used to it.

Like you I took everything apart, tightened everything etc, but no obvious change.

I found that the bike takes a very long time for the whole engine and gearbox to warm up and the noises change a lot during that time. On a long ride, the noise settles down or I get used to it.

The engine is noisy as it's air cooled and those cylinders are right under your ears. With my visor up, it reflects the noise into my ears. Maybe an open lid is less obvious, but with visor down I don't hear it

Although ear plugs cut down on overall noise, they seem to eliminate most frequencies and exacerbate this noise.

The problem is made worse because low rpm fuelling problems means you have to keep the engine running in that 2500 to 3500 rpm band even when riding easy.

I recently fitted Todds fueling solution and it means I can ride along happily at 1800 rpm in top and still have smooth power on demand so i notice it less.

If you do persist and find out what's causing it plus a solution, I would be interested to hear your thoughts, but I think its the nature of the beast.

Hi not really. I still hsvh the noise or clatter at around 2400 rpm also about 3500. The noise simply comes and goes. It's not got any louder over time. I've just got used to it.

Like you I took everything apart, tightened everything etc, but no obvious change.

I found that the bike takes a very long time for the whole engine and gearbox to warm up and the noises change a lot during that time. On a long ride, the noise settles down or I get used to it.

The engine is noisy as it's air cooled and those cylinders are right under your ears. With my visor up, it reflects the noise into my ears. Maybe an open lid is less obvious, but with visor down I don't hear it

Although ear plugs cut down on overall noise, they seem to eliminate most frequencies and exacerbate this noise.

The problem is made worse because low rpm fuelling problems means you have to keep the engine running in that 2500 to 3500 rpm band even when riding easy.

I recently fitted Todds fueling solution and it means I can ride along happily at 1800 rpm in top and still have smooth power on demand so i notice it less.

If you do persist and find out what's causing it plus a solution, I would be interested to hear your thoughts, but I think its the nature of the beast.

I also posted this in my attempt the cure noise with a valve adjust

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/not-your-usual-valve-clearance-question.17546/

I'm well aware of the widespread crossover problem, and am looking for symptoms every few 1000 miles, however my 2014 California Custom has yet to exhibit any problems at close to 15000 miles now. I replaced the stock mufflers at 2000 miles with Mistral slipons though (reducing weight by I bet close to thirty pounds). Did have the buzzing forward heat shield problem. Fifteen minutes and Red Loctite on all shield screws solved that . Anyway, I imagine the reduced shaking mass is why the cracking hasn't happened here...

My bike had the carbon fiber Mistral mufflers on it when I bought it. I wanted more quiet, so I put the OEM mufflers on. They are a LOT heavier and after I installed the OEM mufflers I had the right side crossover weld break. Then this past year, the left one broke. IT could very well be the OEM muffler weight that is a major factor.

Thanks. I'm pretty persistent. I'll track it down.

It's probably been said before, but...

Check the bolts holding the heat shields (HSs) to the horizontal section of the exhaust are correctly torqued.

Consider replacing the 'heat resistant' washers between the HSs and their mounting points.

Hi,

Thanks
J

I just have 6 k on my Eldorado 2016 , for about the the last 1000 k i get a lot of what i think is valve noise ? Now i,m talking intermittently and specifically in the city . Maybe i don,t hear it on the highway ? However when the noise is there man it,s loud ! Scary loud ! Some days i can ride for hours and hear nothing , then the next day or the next ride it is back again . It does not seem to have a preference as to what gear it is in , what the engine temp , or outside temp are it just does it or it doesn,t ! I did an oil change yesterday no change . My local dealer says its about due for a valve adjustment which will set me back close to $400.00 ! I have read the threads and checked under and around the bike for loose whatever , but can find nothing . I am thinking maybe i should be apprehensive to ride before the valve adjustment i would hate to do major damage to this fine beast . If anyone could chuck in some input it would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

Wow, $400 for adjustment, I want to work there !!
Actually, you can take it in early. 6K service is lots of adjustments.

Last edited:
Back