• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85 TT Info

2. two new versions for the V7 during this year,

Looks like the Carbon Shine might be one of them. I like! Much better than the Carbon imho. From the handbuilt show in Austin last week. Nice black leather seat! Very cool.

DbfScgVU8AAq2ZR.jpg

My good friend Claudio (Longwalk.it - facebook.com/GiovenzanaClaudio) is in town from south south America, having left his bike in Patagonia for now as the weather has gotten too cold.
He translated a printed article today on the V85 from Motociclismo.
Big question that it answered (and I had guessed) was that they have basically lightened the reciprocating internals (rods & pistons) and went to larger titanium valves (2V per cylinder still), along with a new larger 52mm single throttle body (V7/V9 is 38mm) giving 78 HP @8400RPM and max torque (59 ft lbs) @3400 RPM (and holds steady they say.) The oiling circuit has been revised with a new twin rotor push/pull oil pump to help with scavenging from the crank. The motor will remain air-cooled through Euro-5.
I look forward to adding one to the RideMalibu/RentAGuzzi fleet.

V85Motor1

V85Motor2

V85Motor3

Euro 5?
This would be a great results, since for now motorcycle should be "only" Euro 4 compliant. Euro 5 constrains are an headache for every engineer.

BTW, an italian magazine has published some secret photos of the new engine. I will try to scan them and post here when I will have a copy of the magazine in my hands.

Euro 5?
This would be a great results, since for now motorcycle should be "only" Euro 4 compliant. Euro 5 constrains are an headache for every engineer. BTW, an italian magazine has published some secret photos of the new engine. I will try to scan them and post here when I will have a copy of the magazine in my hands.
Yes, I have uploaded the article above. If your photos are different from above, I would love to see them.

First time I was a little bit confused, but now I have to admit that this "Legnano green" color it's quite nice.

I have to declare here my appreciations for Guzzi: stop with colors for old men! This new ones are trendy and very original. No one other manufacturer would dare to propose that. New fresh air in the motorcycle world.

NduQi8J

Did you notice the radial brakes at the front (whereas the costly BMW F850GS mount traditional ones)? This bike is really going to stop in a matter of few meters!

First time I was a little bit confused, but now I have to admit that this "Legnano green" color it's quite nice.

I have to declare here my appreciations for Guzzi: stop with colors for old men! This new ones are trendy and very original. No one other manufacturer would dare to propose that. New fresh air in the motorcycle world.

View attachment 14675

Did you notice the radial brakes at the front (whereas the costly BMW F850GS mount traditional ones)? This bike is really going to stop in a matter of few meters!

Wow that color looks nice. This is going to be a hard one if they come out with some sweet colors.

Love the idea of a "smaller" Stelvio and would certainly consider owning a V85. Only problem is that I prefer more subdued / traditional colors and at the risk of offending some, find the V85 color schemes a visual affront. Hopefully a black or silver framed model with a more primary color(s) will be made available when Guzzi finally gets around to actually shipping these to the US.

Also remember that Guzzi has always been a bit, um, optimistic when quoting HP numbers. I will be pleasantly surprised if this bike makes over 60 HP at the rear wheel as a stock V9 makes all of 50.

It's not my kind of bike, but I'm delighted to hear of the engine development work.

Sounds like solid, traditional performance development to me ... the kind of stuff that engine tuners have been developing on traditional two-valve engines for a century! It is certainly a joy to see the small-block Guzzi engines moving in this direction. The small-block history was all about minimizing cost to provide a low end machine, but the hemi heads on the V9/V7III and all the new bottom end work show that there's a good bit more future in this engine line.

Put this engine into a more LeMans-ish road bike (like that illustration somewhere up thread) with these brakes and modern suspension, and Guzzi may well get another big lump of my money...! :D

Also remember that Guzzi has always been a bit, um, optimistic when quoting HP numbers. I will be pleasantly surprised if this bike makes over 60 HP at the rear wheel as a stock V9 makes all of 50.
I don't know about other Guzzis but my Stelvio has 105HP at the main shaft as declared and as tested from many Motorcycle magazines.
For the power at the wheel (more easy to test at a common engine-bench) you have to calculate around 10% less for chain-driven final trasmission and around 12-14% less for cardan-trasmission.

"Powering the bike is a new 850cc V-Twin engine that will be the base for future Moto Guzzi motorcycles. This engine produces 80bhp which is a considerable increase over the power output of V9 Bobber and V9 Roamer sold here. The V9’s 853cc V-twin engine produces only 55bhp. "

bikewale.com/news/34245-moto-guzzi-v85-to-arrive-in-january-2019.html

Wow, is Guzzi actually listening? could you imagine 80 bhp V7? :inlove:

Piaggio Patents Design for Moto Guzzi V85 Production Model

If you’re one of those who liked the concept, you’ll be happy to learn that Piaggio has filed a design patent for what looks to be the final production model, and it does not stray too far from the original concept.

MG V85
MG V85 1

Lodged May 1 in Australia, the design patent looks a lot like the concept but has some changes including a different exhaust and front brake master cylinder that look more realistic for a mass-produced vehicle.

Here’s a look at the right side of the concept and the patent filing.

MG V85 5

And here’s a look at the left side:

MG V85 6

While keeping the concept’s general aesthetic, there are some drastic changes. The fuel tank has a different shape and looks smaller than the one on the concept. The rear of the tank has a noticeably gentler slope up to the filler cap. The seat was changed accordingly to match the new slope angle, and looks quite a bit thinner than the saddle used on the concept. The side panel below the seat also has a different design, losing the concept’s slits for a more sculpted, geometric design.

The rear shock remains offset to the right side, connecting the swingarm to the frame, but there is now a cover over top mounting point. The rear brake caliper was also repositioned, now located under the swingarm instead of above.

The exhaust design looks more production ready, but still keeping the rising angle on the left side of the tail. The concept had a cylindrical see-through master cylinder while the patent illustrations shows a more typical black rectangular design.

MG V85 2 MG V85 3

The blocky tires, bash plate, hand guards, front fender, tall windscreen and headlights all look similar to the concept. The design patent does add a center stand.

Piaggio hasn’t filed any new trademarks that suggest a potential name for this new adventure-tourer, so it’s possible it will retain the Stelvio name and be called the Moto Guzzi V85 Stelvio. Expect to see the final production version at this fall’s big motorcycle shows, more likely at EICMA in November than the Intermot show in October. The latest information will be on Motorcycle.com as it becomes available.

MG V85 4
MG V85 8
MG V85 9
MG V85 9b

Piaggio Patents Design for Moto Guzzi V85 Production Model

If you’re one of those who liked the concept, you’ll be happy to learn that Piaggio has filed a design patent for what looks to be the final production model, and it does not stray too far from the original concept.

View attachment 14900
View attachment 14904

Lodged May 1 in Australia, the design patent looks a lot like the concept but has some changes including a different exhaust and front brake master cylinder that look more realistic for a mass-produced vehicle.

Here’s a look at the right side of the concept and the patent filing.

View attachment 14899

And here’s a look at the left side:

View attachment 14898

While keeping the concept’s general aesthetic, there are some drastic changes. The fuel tank has a different shape and looks smaller than the one on the concept. The rear of the tank has a noticeably gentler slope up to the filler cap. The seat was changed accordingly to match the new slope angle, and looks quite a bit thinner than the saddle used on the concept. The side panel below the seat also has a different design, losing the concept’s slits for a more sculpted, geometric design.

The rear shock remains offset to the right side, connecting the swingarm to the frame, but there is now a cover over top mounting point. The rear brake caliper was also repositioned, now located under the swingarm instead of above.

The exhaust design looks more production ready, but still keeping the rising angle on the left side of the tail. The concept had a cylindrical see-through master cylinder while the patent illustrations shows a more typical black rectangular design.

View attachment 14903 View attachment 14902

The blocky tires, bash plate, hand guards, front fender, tall windscreen and headlights all look similar to the concept. The design patent does add a center stand.

Piaggio hasn’t filed any new trademarks that suggest a potential name for this new adventure-tourer, so it’s possible it will retain the Stelvio name and be called the Moto Guzzi V85 Stelvio. Expect to see the final production version at this fall’s big motorcycle shows, more likely at EICMA in November than the Intermot show in October. The latest information will be on Motorcycle.com as it becomes available.

View attachment 14901
View attachment 14896
View attachment 14895
View attachment 14894

Thanks for the great write-up. Good catches on all of them.

What is the benefit (or requirement?) of having a cover over the top mounting point of the rear shock?

Also, maybe it was covered, but is this a completely new frame?

What is the benefit (or requirement?) of having a cover over the top mounting point of the rear shock?
Also, maybe it was covered, but is this a completely new frame?
Keeps goop off the shock I suppose.
Yes, all new frame.

Thanks Todd for the write up +1!

I can see they made the tank more streamline looking but that sacrificed some tank size...I really curious what size they will come out with...but at least it isn't looking as small as the V9's

The front windshield looks taller to me and more upward compare to the concept...we will see how that affects the buffering.

Was slight "disappointed" they moved the caliper to the bottom...I mean wouldn't you want to keep goop/rocks off them and gain more clearance? I am sure they got reasons behind why...

That side stand...oh wow LOL...it sticks the WAY HELLA out there!...Maybe I missed it during concept stage but in the patent stage, it is for sure more pronounced!!!!!!! I guess they don't want you to lean too much on this guy :p

I also see the seat is slightly flatter...maybe to achieve a lower seat height?...

Back