• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Advice on first service for V7 Racer

Maj Steve Trevor

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
As posted here, I got a new 2015 V7 Racer not long ago, and before you know it I am up to 575 miles. Called my nearest Guzzi dealer/garage (not where I bought the bike) to schedule the break in service in the near future (recommended by Guzzi for 620 miles), only to find out that their service dept is shut down for probably two weeks... So, two questions for you all that know more about Guzzis than I do:

1. I'm not overly worried about going a bit over the suggested 620 miles, but anyone have a sense of how much over is okay? Fifty miles seems no problem to me. But maybe 75-100..?

2. How committed should I be to getting a Guzzi dealer/garage to do the service? I have another local garage, not related to any dealer or brand, where I used to get my Royal Enfield serviced. They seem highly competent in an old school way, but I'm pretty sure they have never worked on Guzzis or at least not much. Should I go to them in a pinch? As far as I know the main thing for the break in service is oil change and check the valves. Beyond that, is there anything you really need a Guzzi mechanic for?

Appreciate all advice. Thanks.

1. I'm not overly worried about going a bit over the suggested 620 miles, but anyone have a sense of how much over is okay? Fifty miles seems no problem to me. But maybe 75-100..?
2. How committed should I be to getting a Guzzi dealer/garage to do the service?
Creeping past the spec'ed service miles isn't too big of a deal as long as the bike was put into service properly. On pre-'17 V7s, having someone that knows them is pretty important as head re-torque AND TPS reset is part of the service, in addition to fluids. Post '17's have metal head gaskets, so head retorque isn't required. Talked about on other posts here.

2016 V7ii Stone with 6200 miles, give or take. My two cents:

I decided to change the fluids myself at the 600 mile service (went to about 650), and took it to a local mechanic who has an excellent reputation for the valves: confirmed that the mechanic had experience working on Guzzis, and specifically with adjusting valves on the V7, before taking it in. I was charged a touch over $100 to adjust the valves and to re-torque the heads.

Great results in my case. The bike ran noticeably smoother after the valve adjust, and the mechanic gave me specific feedback about which valves were tight/loose.

I can't imagine that you'd do much damage going 50-100 miles over, but based on the junk that came out with the fluids on my bike at the 600 mile service (metal on the magnets, gasket remnants in the gearbox), I'd recommend changing fluids sooner rather than later.

A note on the gear-box oil change. I put in 500ml, which is recommended for my model, but have noticed slight weeping around the case since. When researching ideal fill volume for the V7ii, I saw that Todd says he puts in 450ml because 500 seems to be too much. I'll do that next time around. My bike, without extended sump, takes about 1.6L of 10/60 - any more than that, and it 'spits' oil into the airbox.

Good luck!

On the V7 iii the first service is due at 1500 kilometers (932.06 miles. Seriously, that is in the manual!). Not sure why the iii is much higher than the ii.

For the ii, if I am paying a dealer to do the work, I'd rather it be a Moto Guzzi dealer that knows the bike.
Things like:
- how to re-torque the head bolts (as I understand, needed on the ii, not needed on the iii)
- which bolts need attention and what torque to set to (yes, it is all in the workshop manual, but assuming the non Guzzi shop will not have that)
- proper diagnostics tool to check any error codes, maybe an updated fuel map to load, etc.

Not sure how much over 620 miles you could/should go on a ii. If one bike was done at 620 miles and another was done at 900 miles, I seriously doubt one will fail sooner than the other in the future. But, if Moto Guzzi says 620 miles and your records show you did it at 900 miles and you have a warranty claim in the future? Could they say the issue would not have happened if done earlier? I've never done a MG warranty claim, so not sure how this might come into play.

I was over by about 300~ KM as I was on a mini trip...Kind of hard to do service while you are in the middle of no where LOL....

I was getting quite nervous about it, but it ends up fine.

with the stupid weather/baby/wife/work and other shits I got to deal with, I only got the bike up past 11,xxxKM...just done the service not too long ago too...still running strong.

Basically if you ride as it is intended and not doing stupid things like burn out/wheelie(if you can)/high rev it like mad, you will be fine.

When to do the break-in service ... Well, Guzzi specifies 900 miles (1500 km) on the III, don't know about the others. It's not likely to hurt anything if you do it a bit early or a bit late because the primary benefit of the first service is to change the lubricants so that any of the break-in wear bits are carried off and the overall health of the machine can be judged and corrected if necessary. The most usual thing to see is that the valves might be running a little tight at break-in time since they've seated fully, and some residual swarf in the drained, used oil from the normal wearing into of parts, as well as some loose bolts and adjustments that need to be done now that the cables and such are all bedded in.

I did mine at 720 miles because I had plans that were going to take me away from home for a month and some at the time ... I'd rather have the bike sitting with fresh oil and all adjustments done so it's ready when I get back rather than having to have work done then before I can plan on using the bike. But if the dealer can't handle you for a couple hundred miles after nominal, I doubt it really makes any significant difference.

---
A proper first service on the V7 is the same thing as a full regular service:
  • change engine oil and filter
  • change gearbox oil
  • change rear drive oil
  • torque the heads (V7 I and II, not III ... the III uses different head gasket material that doesn't need a retorque)
  • adjust valves
  • inspect air filter
  • adjust throttle and clutch cables if they need it
  • inspect everything else, torquing any loose bolts, nuts and making adjustments as needed
It's about a two to three hour job to do properly, presuming that you take your time and actually look at everything the way you're supposed to. The total to do it on my bike, parts/labor/tax/etc all included, was $595.00US.

It's a service procedure that any home mechanic can manage, presuming they have the correct tools, torque specs, adjustment specs, and the skills to use them. I certainly do.

HOWEVER, since my last Moto Guzzi full service was done on big-block models dating from 1975 and 1989, I felt it was sensible to let the dealer mechanic go through my new 2017 model bike and let his experienced eyes look over everything for the typical problems that I might miss. ... Besides the fact that I really don't have any toxic waste/oil disposal services at home, and the fact that the dealer registers the service back to Moto Guzzi to support the warranty claim system. That's a personal choice, you have to weigh that out for yourself. The mechanic at the dealership I use is very good and he caught several adjustments and 'loose bolt' details that I would almost certainly have missed.

The good thing to note is that when you have your NEXT regular service done, it will cost the same thing because it's the really pretty much the same job ... You won't be paying some hyped up first service charge for someone to change the oil and touch your bike, and then pay double that to do an actual service at the next full service interval like one dealer tried to sell me on with a different bike... Grr.

G

The place that is closed down for a couple of weeks is Lamoto in Arlington VA. If anyone has another suggestion in the DC area I’d be interested.

I often succeed in being a asshat when I am not really trying, so forgive me if this comes across that way.

Well, with that preamble out of the way :giggle:, given when you bought it (March '18?), and the nearly astonishingly modest rate you are putting miles on it since, won't it be way more than the two weeks La Moto is closed for you to reach the unmagic number? ;)

Snide comments over. :rofl:

Seriously, I agree with virtually everything everyone said above. In other words, unless you have decided to go crazy riding over next few weeks, stop worrying. If you must get it in because -- and this is a great reason! -- you want to ride, ride, and ride, I unequivocally recommend Moto-Richmond in (obviously) Richmond. https://www.motorichmond.com

I have only dealt with them on two warranty issues on my Stornello, but in each instance they got approval from the Piaggio bean-counting suits in one day each! That's nigh unheard of in my own experience. Moreover, Rachael, the service manager, is top notch, as in getting to it -- while you wait if possible; not on first service. She then follows up a week later with call to see if all's well. Pretty high-end customer service.

Oh, I forgot to mention, she's cute. :party:

Call her, get "dispensation" if needed for mileage overage if any if you ride it down, and spend night. Richmond is a great place to visit, eat, and drink.

And, if you are concerned about the mileage, ride it out here -- Cross Junction -- and borrow my little p/u and m/c trailer. You can have it for a few days for a bottle of "better" bourbon. :clap:

My little '93 Toyota p/u has some drawbacks -- e.g., no a/c, radio, etc. -- but I've towed my Guzzis to Richmond and Atlanta and back many times. And, as you might guess, it's hard to get a speeding ticket. :giggle:

Let me know if interested. Just back from a 1500+ mile romp to get beer, bourbon, and mutton in Kentucky, and off to western N.Y. Guzzi rally on Wednesday, so limited window to get he little rig. Call or email me:

404.8zero8.8486

wrhagan AT earthlink.net

Bill

P.S. Yes, piling on miles is easier when one is a retired Old Flatulent. ;)

i-s7tSRnC-L.jpg

I often succeed in being a asshat when I am not really trying, so forgive me if this comes across that way.

Well, with that preamble out of the way :giggle:, given when you bought it (March '18?), and the nearly astonishingly modest rate you are putting miles on it since, won't it be way more than the two weeks La Moto is closed for you to reach the unmagic number? ;)

Snide comments over. :rofl:

Seriously, I agree with virtually everything everyone said above. In other words, unless you have decided to go crazy riding over next few weeks, stop worrying. If you must get it in because -- and this is a great reason! -- you want to ride, ride, and ride, I unequivocally recommend Moto-Richmond in (obviously) Richmond. https://www.motorichmond.com

I have only dealt with them on two warranty issues on my Stornello, but in each instance they got approval from the Piaggio bean-counting suits in one day each! That's nigh unheard of in my own experience. Moreover, Rachael, the service manager, is top notch, as in getting to it -- while you wait if possible; not on first service. She then follows up a week later with call to see if all's well. Pretty high-end customer service.

Oh, I forgot to mention, she's cute. :party:

Call her, get "dispensation" if needed for mileage overage if any if you ride it down, and spend night. Richmond is a great place to visit, eat, and drink.

And, if you are concerned about the mileage, ride it out here -- Cross Junction -- and borrow my little p/u and m/c trailer. You can have it for a few days for a bottle of "better" bourbon. :clap:

My little '93 Toyota p/u has some drawbacks -- e.g., no a/c, radio, etc. -- but I've towed my Guzzis to Richmond and Atlanta and back many times. And, as you might guess, it's hard to get a speeding ticket. :giggle:

Let me know if interested. Just back from a 1500+ mile romp to get beer, bourbon, and mutton in Kentucky, and off to western N.Y. Guzzi rally on Wednesday, so limited window to get he little rig. Call or email me:

404.8zero8.8486

wrhagan AT earthlink.net

Bill

P.S. Yes, piling on miles is easier when one is a retired Old Flatulent. ;)

i-s7tSRnC-L.jpg

Bought April 22nd, and as of yesterday at 610 miles. So, averaging about 100 miles per week by my calculations. Not SO modest I guess... at any rate, Richmond’s a bit too far for me, though I appreciate the offer of hospitality.

HEY BILL!
What year is your Toyota?
I had an early 86 that still had a carb later that year they went FI.

BEST truck I ever owned that 22R engine is a work horse.
Can't find the old ones any more.

HEY BILL!
What year is your Toyota?
I had an early 86 that still had a carb later that year they went FI.

BEST truck I ever owned that 22R engine is a work horse.
Can't find the old ones any more.

Can't go to town without someone trying to buy it!

No A/C, P/S/, radio; no nutt'n.

220K+ miles.

Love it.

I might get something newer, but I'll never replace it.

Ever see what Top Gear did to try to kill one?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=top+g...0-0&sk=&cvid=4A12840960694B0185979CCFF735FC38

Best,

Bill

Talk about Die Hard !!!!!
I hauled many cords of wood in mine plus towed a trailer loaded with 8 footers.

Back