• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge Starts and Quits

Nick Greear

08 1200 Sport
After decades with BMW's, I bought a 2007 Norge last summer. Love it. But this morning an intermittent electrical problem cropped up. I rode it into town, then when I tried to start it to come home, the engine would start but immediately quit. After several attempts it started and I got home, but the same symptom is occurring now. New battery, starter spins it fine, and it runs perfect otherwise. Maintained for it's 65k miles perfectly. I'm six hours from a dealer, and not the best electrical guy, so any help would be appreciated.
Nick

John: Yes, I just did that and I have the original diagnostic code. After 1/2 hour of figuring out how to access the menu I found no ECU code errors, but three dashboard code errors: (DSB 05 M (fuel sensor), DSB 07 M Oil sensor, and DSB 08 Oil pressure). Reading the service manual I decided to delete those codes and start over. I deleted them and the engine started up. I don't know if this is a temporary fix or not so I'll keep checking it.
Being a senior+ citizen guy, I'm having more trouble trying to figure out what "forum" we are in with this thread. I only found it because I had a keyword. Is there a help button for this forum? Thank you.

Are you experiencing tank suck by any chance?
1. A wrench appeared on the dashboard. Neither the Owners Manual or the service Manual say anything about it (that I can find).
2. No error codes at present.
3. Used to be you didn't have to hold the starter button down to start the engine, just push it and walk away. Now you have to hold it down until the engine starts.
4. I went into the Menu and "Reset Maintenance." I have no idea what or how to set a maintenance.
5. Now the starter button acts like it used to. The engine starts (for now).
6. "Tank Suck." That's a new one for me Dave! Does that mean a tank venting problem? I'll go open the gas tank.

Thank you all for responding. Nick

If the tank is not ventilated, then a vacuum could form eventually discouraging any further flow of the fuel out of the tank. It was a long shot.

But your starter should continue, and now it does. There is a relay that holds the start action while triggered. Might be a good idea to clean the pins of this relay. Really reaching for straws (again).

If the wrench appears it means you are due for scheduled maintenance. Can include engine oil and filter change, valve adjustment, TB sync and TPS reset. There is a service schedule in the owners manual if you have one. If not they are available in the Downloads section. Once these are done the service interval is reset using the maintenance code through the dash menu.

If the tank is not ventilated, then a vacuum could form eventually discouraging any further flow of the fuel out of the tank. It was a long shot.

But your starter should continue, and now it does. There is a relay that holds the start action while triggered. Might be a good idea to clean the pins of this relay. Really reaching for straws (again).

Actually, I don't think venting matters with fuel injection does it? A pressure pump inside the tank......

If the wrench appears it means you are due for scheduled maintenance. Can include engine oil and filter change, valve adjustment, TB sync and TPS reset. There is a service schedule in the owners manual if you have one. If not they are available in the Downloads section. Once these are done the service interval is reset using the maintenance code through the dash menu.

TB=throttle body; TPS?

Actually, I don't think venting matters with fuel injection does it? A pressure pump inside the tank......
Yes, your tank can build up pressure and cause starting problems.
While I would find it strange that this could be a new phenomenon with a bike with this number of miles, I guess it could happen.
With my 1200 Sport, I noticed fairly soon after getting the bike. On a hot day the bike would crank but not start unless I gave it some throttle. I popped open the tank and would get a whoosh as pressure was released.
I ended up removing the charcoal canister and have never had a problem since.
My friend has a '15 V7. A couple of years after purchase he started having some weird starting issues and the bike would not run right. The first time he reloaded his map and all seemed well. The second time I suggested it might have something to do with his canister, he removed the canister and now the bike starts and runs normally all the time.

There was a problem with some Triumph Sprints. Tank vent would get blocked and vacuum actually collapsed several tanks. The plastic tanks would spring back, but the steel tanks looked like a crushed beer can.

Ha!
The bike starts normally now, but I didn't do anything to fix it. I tried to install a new starter relay but gave up trying to access it. Oh well.

I'm (hopefully) at the end of a long mission trying to sort my B11 out and one of the problems was that you had to crank for ages and catch it on the throttle to get it to start

Fitted a new cam sensor the other day and it seems to be resolved

Last night I pushed the start button and hands off it started right up, but I need some miles under my belt to be sure

See here guzziriders.org/breva-1100-low-idle-speed_topic8930.html

Back