• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oregon's only MG dealer going belly up

just James

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I don't know the reasons, or any details, but it is a real bummer. It was the closest dealer to me, even though it was 250 miles away. Now my nearest dealer is about 300 miles away, in northern California.

I went to the Moto Guzzi dealer in Portland in Nov '18 to pick up my bike. Is that the dealer you're referring to?

When I was on a trip in November, I realized there aren't many Moto Guzzi dealers in general. None in New Mexico and two in Arizona. Maybe some independents but no tech support from dealers especially when needed if you happen to break down in New Mexico.

When I was on a trip in November, I realized there aren't many Moto Guzzi dealers in general. None in New Mexico and two in Arizona. Maybe some independents but no tech support from dealers especially when needed if you happen to break down in New Mexico.
Yeah, it can be kind of spooky on a long trip.

Did you break down? I rode my ‘00 Jackal cross country from Baltimore to San Diego via Maine to Seattle, and zig zagged down the amazing West Coast. 12k mile trip. Zero issues outside of tire changes.

Our friend @groundhog105 did a four corners tour on his 1400 Custom last Summer.

This will probably jinx me but here goes anyway.
Six years ago I bought my first Guzzi, a used 2007 Norge. I had to fly to Virginia to pick it up. I rode it home to Wyoming and the only problem I had with it was the top box decided to go it's own way on my last day in South Dakota.

I added 13,000 miles to that bike. I rode it again to the East Coast and back before I rode it to Seattle and traded it in on a new Stelvio. It had 34,000 miles on it when I traded it and it ran fine.

I didn't keep the Stelvio very long because I had some back surgery and it was just a little too tall after that. But I did manage to put about 10,000 miles on it including a trip to Minnesota, a trip to Seattle,.and a trip to Southern California. Then it went back to Seattle again where I traded it in on a 2016 Eldorado. Zero problems with the Stelvio.

I rode the Eldo back to Wyoming when it was brand spanky new. A bit over 1000 miles. Then that same year I took it to Minnesota and then to Virginia. I finished that summer up with a loop through Montana and the Dakota's.

Last summer the Eldo took me first to Minnesota (are you sensing a pattern here), then to Washington State and back to Wyoming. I finished out the 2018 riding season with a 3,000 mile round trip to Malibu via Medford Oregon and the Pacific Coast Highway.

I am now up to 16,000 miles on the Eldo with zero problems. All of these described trips have been solo. No one with me. I am now planning a trip in June with a friend of mine which will be nearly 10,000 miles. A round trip ride from San Jose, California to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I have found the three Guzzis I have owned to be very reliable. The Eldo seems like the best of the bunch when I am riding it. It is so smooth and solid I just can't imagine it's going to break down on me. Consequently, I haven't been too concerned with the lack of dealerships around. I just lost my dealership of choice, Moto International, in Seattle but there are a couple in the Minneapolis area and one in Sturgis, which is only 200 miles away. So I will make do.

My advice to Guzzi owners is to keep your screwdrivers in your tool box and just ride them. If you want to make improvements to them, let Todd do it. And you will probably find the bike to be "dealer independent" most of the time.
Garwood.

Last edited:
The funniest Guzzi breakdown I ever had was on an old loop frame that had been sitting for about 6 months.
One day I changed the oils, aired up the tires & took off.

About 30 miles from home there was a loud shriek for a brief second.
The bike was still running fine so i laid down on the tank for a good listen.
It all sounded normal so i continued to ride.

About 20 miles later it happened again & few minutes later again.
This time I stopped the bike but kept it running while I put my ear close to this & that, revved the engine then power braked it to put it under a load.

Nada, all good but I decided to go home.

The shriek happened a few more times then just as I pulled onto the driveway it started again & this time continued & got louder.

Damn horn button was shorting out & the horn was going bad.
That's when I learned that Guzzi horns were "hot" & the button grounded them.
I had never heard of such a thing so I insulated my American horn & used the stock wiring.

Did you break down? I rode my ‘00 Jackal cross country from Baltimore to San Diego via Maine to Seattle, and zig zagged down the amazing West Coast. 12k mile trip. Zero issues outside of tire changes.

Our friend @groundhog105 did a four corners tour on his 1400 Custom last Summer.
Unfortunately, my bike went into the limp mode with Urgent Service flashing when I just arrived at Grants, New Mexico (Day 3 on a nine-day tour). As I noted in a previous post, the shop overfilled the oil causing it to enter the airbox and fouling the sensor. After several restarts, I was able to make it back to Prescott, AZ where the problem was noted and corrected. I've taken the bike throughout California, Oregon, Arizona, and Nevada and haven't had any issues other than this which isn't a reflection on the bike's performance or reliability.

I don't know the reasons, or any details, but it is a real bummer. It was the closest dealer to me, even though it was 250 miles away. Now my nearest dealer is about 300 miles away, in northern California.

I wish that I had been searching for a motorcycle last year before they closed. :speechless:

MG

Just an update to my post from last year. I am now up to just under 30,000 miles on my 2016 Eldorado and still no issues with it. Last year on a ride it briefly went into limp mode but went back to normal after a restart. When I got it home I found a bit of oil in the air box and have subsequently lowered the sump level slightly. It's never done it again.

I had a dealer only 2.5 hours from here in Sturgis, South Dakota, for a couple of years but they dropped Moto Guzzi early this year. So I am back to the nearest dealers being in Colorado or Minnesota. I'm not overly concerned about it. Mail/Internet order for parts - none needed so far - and GuzziTech advice should be all I need.

I was shocked when I drove by the Portland guzzi shop and it's gone. I had to leave the Stelvio in Texas this past March when we went to my house outside Portland to shelter from covid. They are gone from the MG dealership lookup tool.

Back