• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Suspension Thread

Hi! I see that you have all damping settings according to Matris manuals for F15 and M40D. Have you tested other setting yet?

And what are your sag number, front and rear?
You are much lighter than me (160 vs 190 lbs) and you have dialed pretty much preload (I have zero preload on the same springs)

TweeZ4,

Best I can measure gives me about 32 mm front sag and 20 mm rear sag (both laden). Still playing with the damping settings - I'll post more when I decide where I'm going to leave them.

Best I can measure gives me about 32 mm front sag and 20 mm rear sag (both laden). Still playing with the damping settings - I'll post more when I decide where I'm going to leave them.
Careful. I set sag based on your weight, and balanced the valving front to rear. Doubt you'll make it better then what I gave it to you at. This comes from decades of road and race experience. ;)

Careful. I set sag based on your weight, and balanced the valving front to rear. Doubt you'll make it better then what I gave it to you at. This comes from decades of road and race experience. ;)

Glad you chimed in here, Todd! I haven't touched preload, and I've got the shocks back to where you set them, but do you happen to have a record of the front settings (or a best guestimate)?

Glad you chimed in here, Todd! I haven't touched preload, and I've got the shocks back to where you set them, but do you happen to have a record of the front settings (or a best guestimate)?
Hi! Given that front fork travel is 130 mm and rear wheel travel is 96mm, sag numbers 32mm and 20mm (front and rear respectively) look like too much preload, compared to what is stated as "target sag" in the first message of of this thread.

Probably, your set up is not in contradiction with the idea of "sporty spirited riding", but definitely it is not for "comfortable plush relaxed cruising" :)

However, I've made back to back test ride - my V9 (matris suspension) vs dealer's stock V7 iii and certainly I prefer Matris setup.

Last edited:
Hi! Given that front fork travel is 130 mm and rear wheel travel is 96mm, sag numbers 32mm and 20mm (front and rear respectively) look like too much preload, compared to what is stated as "target sag" in the first message of of this thread.

Probably, your set up is not in contradiction with the idea of "sporty spirited riding", but definitely it is not for "comfortable plush relaxed cruising" :)

However, I've made back to back test ride - my V9 (matris suspension) vs dealer's stock V7 iii and certainly I prefer Matris setup.

From what I understand, I think I'm actually at the lower end of sag. Regardless, I had the luxury of having Todd/GTM execute my set-up, so I'm not touching preload. However, I have - simply out of curiosity and the desire to learn a little more - played around with the rebound and compression damping...and I have yet to find better settings than what he gave it to me at. Nevertheless, the Matris components definitely seem to push the V9's ride more in the direction of "plush" performance rather than pure comfort.

What about V9 bobber MY18 stock?
Anyone that had set those progessive springs in preload?

Of course it depends but what have you measured for the rear travel and loaded sag with your weight? optimal? What do you suggest here for the MY18 stock? any?

please enlighten me? :):)

Can anyone that has a 2018 V9 let me know if the rear top shock mount looks like the pic below? Apparently it now looks like this for the 2018 models in Europe. Thanks.
DSC 1688

Seems so, Mine is MY 2018 , below
I have still to attempt any sag tuning or measure... they are set now as delivered... seems reasonable though...
Are they KYB apparently?

Upload 2018 11 26 18 39 49

Upload 2018 11 26 18 40 48

Upload 2018 11 26 18 38 22

Todd,

Are the GTM 2S Twin Shocks for the V9 still available? And if so, would it be advisable to order a set 1 inch longer than stock in order to increase ground clearance? Would a longer shock tend to stress the drive shaft components in some way? Thanks

Sarah

Are the GTM 2S Twin Shocks for the V9 still available? And if so, would it be advisable to order a set 1 inch longer than stock in order to increase ground clearance? Would a longer shock tend to stress the drive shaft components in some way? Thanks Sarah
Always best to email me direct on questions like this, as I don’t always catch every post. +20mm is an option, and is no issue on the driveline at all. Order online and I’ll be in touch for your info.

Can anyone verify stock KYB rear shock length?
I want to raise the rear of my Roamer about 20-25mm.

Mine measure 347mm eye to eye.
Very different that what I see in the first post.

KYB rear shock length is 349mm eye to eye, this measure is not in the first post.
You can rise the rear about 20mm (370mm), and then, often, have a better stroke.

Ignoring the stock fork spring rate of the V9, is the main issue that the compression and rebound valving Is too much or not enough in general? The factory oil is viscosity rated at 7.5 at 100C but is actually around 32 at 30C. In normal casual street riding I wouldn’t think it would ever get much above 30C so a viscosity of 32 seems way too thick. Thoughts?

Elated results with my V9 Roamer and new rear shocks. ICON.
Imports   1 of 6

Had to cut out part of a saddlebag rack to fit but sure made a difference in ride. Factory shocks were PAINFU. Each bump jarred my spine and did worse to my wife. She does not like the bike inspire of the higher seat I had modified from the Moto Guzzi touring seat. The rear suspension, at all settings, was beyond the hideous. Even I solo had to stand up crossing rough road areas to stop the painful spine jars.

Well from the first test of these Icons ($433) I knew it was a winner. Now the bike is like a normal ride. Sure it is not as comfortable as my Harleys, It kind of rides like my V50 Goose but is way more spacious and comfortable. Maybe a bit like my BMW R50 with power.

Highly recommend these Icons.

Imports   3 of 6 Imports   4 of 6

Anyone on this thread who have the Matris F15K cartridge upgrade, do the work yourself? I've seen some sites that stock them where it reads like they won't even sell them to you without purchasing their installation service. I don't see such warnings in the GTM store.

I've rebuilt forks before, just not on a V9. Is there something unique about the MG forks that only professionals should touch them? I mean, I'd probably change out my own fork oil and replace seals and so forth, if that became necessary. The Matris install seems even simpler than that.

Thanks for your advice!

I have installed the Matris spring kit with adjusters and the GTM 2WS Twin shocks with the extra length on my v9 roamer. Is it still recommended to to push the forks up 10-20mm with the extra length twin shocks?

I have installed the Matris spring kit with adjusters and the GTM 2WS Twin shocks with the extra length on my v9 roamer. Is it still recommended to to push the forks up 10-20mm with the extra length twin shocks?
Sure is.

Im considering an upgrade to the forks and shocks of my 2016 Bobber, but im unsure if there's a difference in front fork upgrade compatability for the earlier models? Specifically Marzocchi vs Kaifa? Is there a way to tell which fork I have?

Back