• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge 'selling points'?

Kent Johnson

Just got it firing!
I'm in the market to sell/trade my Super Tenere and get back into the Sport Touring market. I'm looking at and have ridden a '13 BMW K1600GT, am currently eyeing a 2017 Triumph Trophy SE as well as a 2014 BMW R1200RT. Wife loves the pillion accommodation on all three bikes, and in their own way, the engines on the K16000 and the Trophy put a smile on my face (I also like the ability to adjust the suspension from one person to two with the press of a button). I'm wanting to like the boxer engine, but the one test ride I took left me feeling empty...possibly because the suspension wasn't set up for two persons?
Which brings me to a Norge...specifically a '12 which has had the (flat tappets replaced). I've seen it personally but not ridden. Beautiful paint, fresh tires, set in great condition, less than 9,000 miles. I know it does not have the electronic gizmo's of the other bikes I'm looking at but for some reason I'm drawn to the bike (I do ALL of my mechanics work myself and have to admit that diving in to the K1600 has me a bit leery). The only 'missing' technology that I really want is traction control, and I don't believe the Norge has that (twice in the past 5 years, TC has saved my bacon on wet roads)?
I'm aware of the Italian 'quirks', having owned a Ducati for 9 years. Not afraid of being 'hands-on'.
I know I'm amongst the Guzzi devotees here....tell me what I should be looking for and why I should go Italian in this search, at the expense of the Germans or Brits?

Because you want to. You're always going to ask the question 'to Guzzi or not to Guzzi' so not just because you want to, but because you need to.
I don't own a Norge, but my current Guzzi is a 2013 1200 Sport. Of the 4 Guzzis I've had (and I keep coming back to them) this is the nicest. I also think it's the nicest bike I've ever owned.
Quirky or not Guzzis are the only bikes that put 'that' smile on your dial while you're riding.
There's that little bit of humanity about them; we're all flawed in some small way and it's the living around those small flaws that makes true and lasting relationships.
They're also things of beauty. If I'm just doing a coffee run with my lady or a cross state tour, I'll always park it where I can look at it, if for no other reason than to enjoy the attention it gets from passer bys.
If you're happy doing your own wrenching you'll be happy owning the Norge. One thing though, if your combined weight is anything over whatever, you may want to upgrade the suspension.

Larry

Because you want to. You're always going to ask the question 'to Guzzi or not to Guzzi' so not just because you want to, but because you need to.
I don't own a Norge, but my current Guzzi is a 2013 1200 Sport. Of the 4 Guzzis I've had (and I keep coming back to them) this is the nicest. I also think it's the nicest bike I've ever owned.
Quirky or not Guzzis are the only bikes that put 'that' smile on your dial while you're riding.
There's that little bit of humanity about them; we're all flawed in some small way and it's the living around those small flaws that makes true and lasting relationships.
They're also things of beauty. If I'm just doing a coffee run with my lady or a cross state tour, I'll always park it where I can look at it, if for no other reason than to enjoy the attention it gets from passer bys.
If you're happy doing your own wrenching you'll be happy owning the Norge. One thing though, if your combined weight is anything over whatever, you may want to upgrade the suspension.

Larry
Speaking of your lady on the back, what are her impressions? Especially regarding wind-management?

Last edited:
My wife doesn't complain about the wind even though she's aware of it but I do ride accordingly when she's on the back. She does like to have a small top box fitted though as it gives her a sense of security.

First, everything that Da Rev said; his little post pithily captured why, for all their eccentricities, they enthrall me and so many others as few other machines do.

Now, as for the pillion piece, my wife, Kathi, loves riding ... as a pillion only. And she's good at it. In other words, she understands the dynamics of motorcycles underway -- not a talent shared by all back-saddlers -- and thus doesn't add any "laws of physics" challenges to my full plate of "data." :inlove:

Kathi spent many miles on the back of my 102K-mile EV, and liked it Still does. But, we hadn't left the lot at MPH in Houston (R.I.P) on our new-at-the-time Norge before she exclaimed how much she loved it! :clap:

She is 5.4/115# or so -- which means she isn't the gravity challenger that ... erm ... I am, tho I do kid her about her seeming need to bring along more hair accoutrements than other luggage. She has, however, gotten pretty good at "only" using one of the panniers. :giggle:

Wind? Never mentioned as an issue, and I have asked. Her height and mine, coupled with saddle rise means, however, that she does not sit much "above" me back there.

She does like the (OEM) top case for (psychological) security, and (as an example of how that is important to her) does decidedly NOT like riding the Griso or Stornello. The EV's mini-backrest works, but even on it she prefers the H-B top case.

Not sure why that is so important to her as she seems to me to lean forward and fall asleep more than lean back. It is somewhat dispiriting for me to think I am #46 running through some twisties only to feel the rap of her helmet hitting the back of mine. :snooze:;)

i-8MtLSnJ-L.jpg

Anyway, suppose that's enough cheerleading for the pillion side of the Norge. I do love the beast. Mine is a firstgen, but my brother had three 8v's. :clap:First sold; second a "combat loss" (he's lucky to be alive); and third sold for a Ducati M/S. Dumb, IMO. Different strokes, etc., but he paid his Mandello dues. Still has a V7III. Anyway, I have ridden all of his 8v's and have same engine in my Griso, I am, quite frankly, happy with my 2v/4v Norge's power, but the new ones are noticeably quicker and a bit more "Guzzi visceral." The tupperware is generations better, too.

Enough. Gotta go ...

Bill

The biggest deal is liquid vs. air cooled.
I thought the Trophy was the best of all the full faired sport touring bikes but not thousands better than the Norge, so I bought and ride a Norge, 2014.
it's a fine machine and I DO like how easy it is to maintain.
The rear brake res and clutch fluid need to be serviced on a REGULAR basis. The bodywork can trap a LOT of heat in certain conditions.
I actually cooked my rear brake fluid in a 90+ day with a total stop on I-84. I change it now every oil change. Simple enough to do.

From on one of my previous posts on this same subject:

"I have a 2014 Norge 8V that I bought brand new. Now have about 15,000 miles on the odometer. Great bike, reliable (zero problems so far), super comfortable, great brakes. The only nits i have are the location of the motorized windshield buttons (what were they thinking...?) and the lack of cruise control. I solved the cruise control issue with a Throttlemeister - works great. I love the hard bags as they are water tight, and come off in seconds. If you get an 8 valve, you will need to get a later model like mine, or make sure the rollerization was done if you chose an earlier year. Oil changes (with the right funnel) and valve adjustments are a breeze. The Brembo pads wear like iron, and tires last about 7000 miles. Full coverage insurance is dirt cheap through Allstate.
The Norge is smooth, comfortable, and fast."

Another reason I chose the Norge over a C14, Trophy, or an FJR was weight. At 566 lbs. dry, the Norge is about 100 lbs. lighter. Still very plush, but much easier to handle (I am 5'8" and 170 lbs.).

No traction control, but great, seamless, ABS. Heated grips, adjustable windshield, nice trip computer, easy rear preload adjustment, shaft drive, anti vibration pegs, rubber mounted handlebars, super bright headlamps, water proof saddle bags that are super easy to detach, etc...

Let us know what you get.

I'm in the market to sell/trade my Super Tenere and get back into the Sport Touring market. I'm looking at and have ridden a '13 BMW K1600GT, am currently eyeing a 2017 Triumph Trophy SE as well as a 2014 BMW R1200RT. Wife loves the pillion accommodation on all three bikes, and in their own way, the engines on the K16000 and the Trophy put a smile on my face (I also like the ability to adjust the suspension from one person to two with the press of a button). I'm wanting to like the boxer engine, but the one test ride I took left me feeling empty...possibly because the suspension wasn't set up for two persons?
Which brings me to a Norge...specifically a '12 which has had the (flat tappets replaced). I've seen it personally but not ridden. Beautiful paint, fresh tires, set in great condition, less than 9,000 miles. I know it does not have the electronic gizmo's of the other bikes I'm looking at but for some reason I'm drawn to the bike (I do ALL of my mechanics work myself and have to admit that diving in to the K1600 has me a bit leery). The only 'missing' technology that I really want is traction control, and I don't believe the Norge has that (twice in the past 5 years, TC has saved my bacon on wet roads)?
I'm aware of the Italian 'quirks', having owned a Ducati for 9 years. Not afraid of being 'hands-on'.
I know I'm amongst the Guzzi devotees here....tell me what I should be looking for and why I should go Italian in this search, at the expense of the Germans or Brits?

Ride it...... IMO Guzzi's are quirky, but super easy to work on and maintain. Largely bulletproof and reliable, though I wouldn't want to go for a rollerized bike without proof it was done early. Buy what speaks to you and your wallet can handle. If you want TC, you will need to look elsewhere. IMO the BMW and Triumph are fat pigs by comparison, and maintenance and servicing are WAY more out of pocket. Everyone I know with the BMW & Triumph have bugs and issues with all the Gizmos....

For me, TC is largely unnecessary with good tires and riding habits.

Like Bill, I have a 1st generation Norge and am very fond of it. My wife enjoys riding on the back as long as we are playing in the twisties. Not so much on longer slab rides. She is 5'7" and gets wind buffeting about eye level that gives her a sore neck after an hour or so on the freeway. I've installed a taller wind screen (Cal-Sci) and that helps, but not really enough. But that's why I bought a Goldwing for longer slab rides.

I've not ridden a 2nd gen bike, but from everything I've heard, Guzzi fixed the small silly things from the 1st gen.

I've got upgraded suspension, front and rear, a custom seat, Cal-Sci wind screen, modified fueling and and Heli-bars. It's a 1000+ mile per day ride for me in this configuration.

If the Guzzi speaks to you, nothing else will do. It is an addiction.

jdg

Back