• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Evap removal from a new V7 II

Might be the case Vagrant! I really didn't check that, I did make sure they were securely fitted on the plug but didn't check the wire/cap connection. I'll just be glad to get it back because I really like this bike!

Went to pick up my bike but before doing so they asked me to take it out which I did. (When I took it there they could barely keep it running enough to pull it around to the shop.)

Starting off it ran fine. Took it down the road giving light to moderate throttle all was well but when rolling on more throttle around 3,000 rpm there was that little stutter so I returned it describing the symptom. The mechanic took it out and returned saying it was the over sensitive traction control doing it. I had a hard time believing that given the dry road and what 45 hp? He disabled TC and took it out then had me do so and he was right, the missing was gone. This is exactly how the bike started misbehaving eventually getting worse and worse until it would hardly run, turning the bike off and restarting didn't help it just ran poorly where it left off.

He thought that traction control can be adjusted to different sensitivity settings such as 1-8 and it probably comes on the most intrusive setting. Riding the bike back with TC disabled it ran beautifully. I'm now trying to see how to adjust the TC sensitivity in the owners manual but can't seem to find it. Anyone know for sure if in fact it is adjustable? Mechanic did say if it keeps acting up after adjusting it he may need to replace the TC CPU?

off, 1& 2. I use 1 and it seems fine. it was in 2 and I didn't like it but don't remember why. As I recall you press the start button for about 3 seconds while it's idling and that enters the program mode for TC and the shift light. It's in the book somewhere or google it here.

Irrelevant, I suppose, to your basic "running poorly all of a sudden" question, but such never stops me. :giggle:

Anyway, I'm at 3K miles on my Stornello, and have not done my first oil change yet -- an Atlanta dealer did that -- but I am pretty sure your V7II requires 10/60, not 10/50 engine oil.

And, FWIW, I bought my Stornello in Accident. That dealer delivered it with out-of-date map. What I get, I suppose, for "no freight/no prep" fees. :think:

Best,

Bill

off, 1& 2. I use 1 and it seems fine. it was in 2 and I didn't like it but don't remember why. As I recall you press the start button for about 3 seconds while it's idling and that enters the program mode for TC and the shift light. It's in the book somewhere or google it here.

Since posting I've been Googling it and apparently V7 II only has on and off (V7 III has 1, 2, and off) so I'll try it again with TC enabled.

Running poorly all of a sudden was really incorrect I guess, it first started missing then the next day it'd barely run at all.
Yes just finished reading the manual and saw where it specs 10w-60. I picked up a Guzzi filter and O-ring so I'll source JASO 10-60 somewhere and change out the 10w-50 that was put in by the Honda dealer I bought it from. I see Mobil 1 offered 10w-60 now.

When I first took it to the Accident dealer they did check and found no update for my Stone but there was one for the V7 II Stomello they said they could flash to my bike. When I picked it up they didn't mention having done that and it's not on service bill.

Yeah I'm not sure how competent their service is but they sure have some Motto Guzzi's in stock, it looked like at least a couple dozen.

Howdy.

As for oil, I order ENI Racing from Staccato Cycles in N.Y. See https://www.staccatocycle.com/motor_oil.html

Just talked with "Tony," the owner, who told me -- as I suspected -- that the "Aprilia" label on the 10W60 is simply a marketing thing. I guess that Aprilia riders need the branded security blanket as do some H-D and Ducati folks. :giggle:

Anyway, while the "regular" 10W60 is out of stock, the "Aprilia" is same stuff, same price, and free delivery when you order $25+. As the saying goes, life's too short to use cheap oil. :rofl:

As for that dealer, I am convinced that they have some sort of sweetheart deal with Piaggio. They sell LOTS of Aprilias, and must get some big break on the floor plan.

Back to work now in the Moto Grappa; today, it's reinstalling the battery into the snake pit of wiring I've created in the Norge. :sweating:

Bill

I just discovered the problem why my bike started running poorly then barely at all. My stupidity..... so embarrassing!

After all that..... pulling the tank, removing and checking the fuel filter, tracing the evap lines, checking spark plug caps and wires, trailering it to the dealer, the problem was low rear tire pressure. I noticed yesterday it looked low and checking I found it had 12 psi which made the tire circumference enough smaller that it triggered traction control.

My stupidity was:
(1) not having read the manual so not realizing the flashing yellow icon was TC. Actually it was probably flashing when it first started missing but the chin piece on my helmet blocks it unless I'm looking down at it. When I did notice it I ASSumed it was a "check engine" light flashing.
(2) how did I ride the thing with such low pressure w/o noticing something was wrong?

One leg of the little staple was all that penetrated the tire the other leg was bent under the crown. I may have picked it up or who knows it may have been in when I bought it. They said they had just "gone over" the bike changing fluids etc., and maybe pumped the tire up? I recall It had 34 rear and 37 front when I got it home because I left 34 in the rear and dropped the front to 33. (I typically run 2-3 psi lower than called for.) It lost enough after a couple more days to start my problem.

Good info here. If bike suddenly starts running terrible, first do a quick check of tire pressure. It's not intuitive so this is a good lesson!

Good info here. If bike suddenly starts running terrible, first do a quick check of tire pressure. It's not intuitive so this is a good lesson!

That's the first thing I'll be doing.
My understanding is one of the German companies, BMW, Mercedes, maybe Bosch, has plans to do away with traditional tire pressure sensors and simply utilize the ABS/Traction Control for low pressure alert.

Thank you Jeff!

Tire is fixed (with Fix-a-Flat) for now and isn't losing air at all now and runs just fine once warmed up. I love how light and narrow it feels, the good acceleration and handling, nice sound, and its traditional flat seat with good ergonomics.

Thank you Jeff!

Tire is fixed (with Fix-a-Flat) for now and isn't losing air at all now and runs just fine once warmed up. I love how light and narrow it feels, the good acceleration and handling, nice sound, and its traditional flat seat with good ergonomics.
Fix-a-flat on a motorcycle tire, you like to live dangerously....

Perhaps but I don't mind using it on something like this, probably better than enlarging the hole big enough to plug it. Heck even if the sealant somehow completely blew out the hole all at once I'd only be back to a slow leak. In which case I'll be alerted by the traction control! :D

Some of it's living in the puncture, sealing it, the rest in the tire cavity waiting to seal the next hole. None is in a tube because there isn't one. I'm perfectly ok riding on this tire with a tiny pin hole even w/o sealant and having to top off the pressure every few days. But even that's unnecessary now with sealant.

If I had a hole in a tube I would patch the tube or replace it. In tubeless tires I generally plug them from the outside until I get a chance to remove the tire and patch the hole from the inside with a patch plug. If a really bad puncture, cut, or if the tire is much more than 1/2 worn out, I generally replace the tire. But this one is SO tiny I'll probably just leave it rather than enlarge the hole in order to insert a plug, unless it starts loosing pressure. Heck I trust it more than any tube! Had a sudden front tire flat on the original factory fitted tire on my Africa Twin a couple months back apparently from a defective tube or roughness inside the tire which chafed the tube making a hole. There was NO puncture in the tire of any kind. I wish Honda would fit tubeless type wheels on that bike.

That's the first thing I'll be doing.
My understanding is one of the German companies, BMW, Mercedes, maybe Bosch, has plans to do away with traditional tire pressure sensors and simply utilize the ABS/Traction Control for low pressure alert.

My wife's Canadian market 2011 BMW 535i GT uses the ABS for tire monitoring. It is sooo much less trouble than sensors. It works when it's needed. Another plus is you don't need to buy 4 more sensors for your snow tires/wheels.

Wow didn't know they have already been utilizing that, good!

...Another plus is you don't need to buy 4 more sensors for your snow tires/wheels.

Exactly. Plus paying to remove and reinstall the tires just to replace the stupid sensors (unless they happen to fail just when you are replacing tires). And not sure about cars but on my BMW motorcycle they didn't even spec the wheels to be made light at the valve area to allow for the weight of the sensor.

Back