• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dancing speedo needle at low speed

guzzisti91

Tuned and Synch'ed
Ladies & gentlemen,
Ever since i serviced the cable on my nevada, the speedo needle started bouncing. It was all over the place when i used lithium, & graphite powder isolated it to below 45km/h. Any ideas? It spins smoothly above that, & i know it is the cable as i tested the other parts which are running smoothly. Any advice on lube? Powder doesn't appear to be cutting the mustard

In the event that i can't smooth out the twitching, is there a digital speedo that would fit in the existing dash? Or an electronic conversion kit that replaces the cable with a pulse generator? I also lubricated the plastic gear drive on the front wheel, which helped a bit.

O
I used aluminum and copper based. Don't know off hand what speedo will work.
Ok. I'll give it a shot on the weekend. Is a cable drive supposed to shake at all? I remember having a cheap chinese bike whose speedo spring broke, but the drive was mostly nice & smooth. I have tried MCAS suggestion of bellray 6-in-1, which halved the shaking

Is there a tach wiring diagram for this model? I will buy an Acewell 3000 series with pulse generator if anti-seize fails - as cleaners & lubes have already set me back nearly $100

I've always lubricated speedometer and tachometer cables with just a 90 weight gear oil. Seemed to work just fine.

I've always lubricated speedometer and tachometer cables with just a 90 weight gear oil. Seemed to work just fine.
Yeah. I just tried anti-seize as the 6-in-1 left the components bone dry. Silly question, which inner end goes into the clock? The one with the stopper or the free end? I may have it the wrong way around

Yeah, make sure the cable is installed correctly. If that fails, make sure the cable is in good working order, make sure the ends are not rounded or otherwise mangled and make sure the cable is not broken (I know that sounds stupid but a broken cable has been known to partially work).
If you are not sure about the cable, a new cable is fairly cheap.
As to alternate speedo's, Acewell, as you mentioned, but another option is a GPS unit from a company like SpeedHut. They make a variety of units, and will do custom graphics for not a lot of money. The GPS versions make hooking them up easier than the Acewell unit. I have an Acewell on my Daytona, it works pretty well but it was tricky to get it working right. It does have both a tach and speedo in one.

Another development in this saga, the bike mechanic next door says it's supposed to twitch at the low end. Considering i pulled the whole thing apart bar the speedo unit itself (tests proved it worked perfectly, therefore negating the need to dismantle it), i guess the only way is to eliminate this is to reposition the cable somehow or buy one of those acewell units. A problem with that last option though, how does one match up the odometer readings? I'm no fan of windbacks, & i don't want to do maths each time i ride

Yeah, make sure the cable is installed correctly. If that fails, make sure the cable is in good working order, make sure the ends are not rounded or otherwise mangled and make sure the cable is not broken (I know that sounds stupid but a broken cable has been known to partially work).
If you are not sure about the cable, a new cable is fairly cheap.
As to alternate speedo's, Acewell, as you mentioned, but another option is a GPS unit from a company like SpeedHut. They make a variety of units, and will do custom graphics for not a lot of money. The GPS versions make hooking them up easier than the Acewell unit. I have an Acewell on my Daytona, it works pretty well but it was tricky to get it working right. It does have both a tach and speedo in one.
Cable is in good nick & spins smoothly. Drive gear & speedo unit are also smooth & undamaged. But once i hook it all up, the problem begins. It twitches until just over 40km/h. I think it may be something to do with the way the cable sits. Did you manage to program the right odometer reading on the acewell? That's my main concern

As an instrument technician who has done this job many times for other people:
1. Remove the entire cable from the bike.
2. Remove the inner cable.
3. Block off 1 end of the outer cable and fill it with petrol. Keep it vertical.
4. While that's soaking, use a rag and petrol to thoroughly clean the inner.
5. Keeping both ends of the outer blocked (fingers will do) shake it all about vigorously.
6. Empty it out and repeat until guaranteed clean.
7. Smear just a thin smear of any bearing grease onto the inner cable. JUST A SMEAR!
8. Put it all back together, ensuring the inner is the correct way up - some have different ends.

As an instrument technician who has done this job many times for other people:
1. Remove the entire cable from the bike.
2. Remove the inner cable.
3. Block off 1 end of the outer cable and fill it with petrol. Keep it vertical.
4. While that's soaking, use a rag and petrol to thoroughly clean the inner.
5. Keeping both ends of the outer blocked (fingers will do) shake it all about vigorously.
6. Empty it out and repeat until guaranteed clean.
7. Smear just a thin smear of any bearing grease onto the inner cable. JUST A SMEAR!
8. Put it all back together, ensuring the inner is the correct way up - some have different ends.
Hmm. I've been flushing it with circuit board cleaner, but i never soaked it. What about the drive gear? I've smeared that with anti-seize, but i'm tempted to use bearing grease on that, too. But, i'm reluctant to use petrol (i hate the smell & my landlady's paranoid about flammable liquids). Is it just to clean it? The circuit board cleaner seemed to work wonders...

Cable is in good nick & spins smoothly. Drive gear & speedo unit are also smooth & undamaged. But once i hook it all up, the problem begins. It twitches until just over 40km/h. I think it may be something to do with the way the cable sits. Did you manage to program the right odometer reading on the acewell? That's my main concern
I was able to get it programmed, using a magnet on the rear wheel and the included sensor. I tried to get a hall effect sensor that installed in place of the cable drive, but that failed. I think had that worked it would have been a cleaner install, but the magnet works.
But to be clear, there is no reason why the stock speedo with the stock cable set up can't work. It works for almost every Guzzi out there. You do need to make sure your cable is properly routed, with no unusual bends or kinks. You need to make sure the cable is lightly lubricated (you don't need / want to over do it with lubricant, especially with grease or anti-seize). And the cable must be securely and properly installed. A cable that is not fully seated at either end, or if either end is damaged or rounded, could result in issues as you describe.
You can always try spinning the cable with a drill and seeing how it works, you just need to be able to connect the drill to the cable without damaging it.
In the end, maintain a logical approach to figuring out what the issue is. It is a fairly simple mechanical system. It does predictable things. And it requires certain parameters to be correct and it will deliver the desired result.

I undid the cable & drive gear again. I just degreased everything when i discovered this bend. In fact, it is quite noisy around there. Now, last night i repositioned the cable - it reduced the shaking to below 30km/h, but, i also discovered freplay in the helical gear that attaches to the cable. There was always freplay since the beginning. Is there supposed to be any freplay? It spins smoothly & stays put upon attaching to the wheel

Attachments

• 20180916_152007.jpg
    20180916_152007.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2
I have taken Piranha's advice & went with bearing grease. I also dipped the ring gear with said grease & coated the metal ring beneath it. This, after a good soak & wash of all parts with degreaser, water & allowing it to go bone dry before re-assembly.
Result: needle rumbles a bit before beginning taper off at 25km/h - going completely smooth at just over 30. I used enough grease to coat the gears & just a smear on the cable as per Piranha's instruction. But, the soak revealed tiny bits of abrasive dirt & concrete on the inner cable - something i don't believe petrol would dislodge. Or maybe it would, i'm not game enough to try. Still worried about that bend i mentioned in a previous post...

I have taken Piranha's advice & went with bearing grease. I also dipped the ring gear with said grease & coated the metal ring beneath it. This, after a good soak & wash of all parts with degreaser, water & allowing it to go bone dry before re-assembly.
Result: needle rumbles a bit before beginning taper off at 25km/h - going completely smooth at just over 30. I used enough grease to coat the gears & just a smear on the cable as per Piranha's instruction. But, the soak revealed tiny bits of abrasive dirt & concrete on the inner cable - something i don't believe petrol would dislodge. Or maybe it would, i'm not game enough to try. Still worried about that bend i mentioned in a previous post...

If you found that much contamination on the inner, perhaps it is time to break down and buy a new cable.

Back