• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7III Blown Engine?

avlis

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just 1 mile from home, everything was going well then I decided to pull into a side street to turn around because I forgot something at home. Slow speed u-turn at idle then a small click and stalled engine in 1st. I tried restarting but the starter just spun freely, like it wasn't connected to the engine. While waiting for the tow truck I found this sensor (cam or crank sensor?) was blown off the front cover. The cover is cracked along the top too and separating from the engine.

IMG 7827 IMG 7826

Bike has been pretty flawless for 1200 miles. I'm not familiar at all with the internals of this engine and haven't found a diagram of what's behind this cover. What could contact the crank sensor with such force to blow it right off the engine? Surprised there wasn't a loud bang or thrashing before/after. It stalled on its own just off idle then nothing. I fear a broken crank because I *think* the bike rolls free in all gears with the clutch engaged. Starter spins like there's zero compression.
It should be covered on warranty but the shop is closed today. Just wondering if anyone has seen this or has guesses on the cause...

It looks like you may be getting a replacement engine. I would think Moto Guzzi would want to study that failure. Taking a piece out of the block at the cam position sensor just shouldn't happen. It is possible the cam chain failed and hit the block hard enough to do this but you will only find out on disassembly

While waiting for the tow truck I found this sensor (cam or crank sensor?) was blown off the front cover. The cover is cracked along the top too and separating from the engine.
Whoa! Can you post your VIN and engine # on this thread for us?
It doesn’t look like there was any impact to the sensor that I can see, so something in the timing chest has come loose if it spins freely, and/or the engine casting just failed (but you’d still have compression). Do keep us updated. Which dealer?

In the second picture there is a large gouge just above the sensor you are holding. It looks like it may have been struck externally. It could have happened previously and decided to let go as you turned around. It seems unlikely though as you stated there is no compression which points to an internal issue.

Here's a better photo. Looks like the timing chain broke and the whipping action broke the cover. Rolling the bike in gear there is a little drag compared to disengaging the clutch.
Dealer is Seacoast Sports in NH. I had some long-ish trips planned for foliage season. I hope my riding season isn't over waiting for repairs.

IMG 7829

Being loaded in the ambulance. :cry:

Attachments

• FY_2018-09-19_08-49-57_188.jpg
    FY_2018-09-19_08-49-57_188.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 38
I'm sure it will all come out right in the end. An unusual failure, for any make of motorcycle today. Do keep us all informed as to what the diagnosis is once they've had a chance to work on it.

Yep cam chain is not on its sprocket
On the older bikes it's a duplex chain, wonder if they went single row on the new ones.

As it's just the cover that's broken you could be back on the road quite quickly, lets hope ......unless it's bent a valve which could be why it spins over so easy.

Failures happen. This is my first motorcycle and is a toy, a luxury. The dealer has been responsive. Can't ask for more. (I do wish I asked for a loaner bike tho :smirk:)
Mostly I'm glad to learn that this failure is unusual.

While I hope it is an easy fix, a basic question is; Did the cam chain fail first or did something else fail and cause the cam chain to fail. We had that once on a Ducati, only it was a cam belt, not a cam chain, that failed after things went south on one of the two cylinders. The belt snapped, but I don't think that was what started to failure.
I wonder, because cam chain failures are really rare nowadays. Cam chains are usually a lifetime part.

Failures happen. This is my first motorcycle and is a toy, a luxury. The dealer has been responsive. Can't ask for more. (I do wish I asked for a loaner bike tho :smirk:)
Mostly I'm glad to learn that this failure is unusual.
I like your attitude, good on ya. :happy:

Paul

All the "small block" motors have had single row cam chains since the beginning. They don't have a particularly notable history of failure as far as I recall, but it is always possible for a particular engine to have defective part and a failure to happen. I've seen cam drive failures on many different machines, even if they are fairly unusual.

The usual failure on a belt drive is for a tensioning roller to seize up, then the belt either strips or is overheated (depending on which side of the belt that roller works) then flies apart. Cam chains usual wear from having become too loose, either through high mileage or over-revving abuse, and when they let go, they tend to jam up and break a piece of the cover and/or engine casting on the way.

It is a very unusual failure for a new bike which hasn't been abused, but of course any part can be defective.

Our Ducati timing belt failure was on a near new (second race weekend) 996. The valve train for the rear head seemed to have locked up. The rest of the motor kept going, so the timing belt for the rear cylinder snapped. But there are a variety of reasons that something like this could occur, ranging from a defective chain / belt, to improper adjustment / tension, to other parts failing and causing a chain of failure.
I hope the OP's motor is sorted out and repaired or replaced under warranty to his satisfaction.

Perhaps it was a late Friday afternoon build and Guido was anxious to get home to diner, vino, and his lovely wife Gina.
Sometimes shit just happens, this is likely one of those times.

Paul

Dealer is trying to order a replacement engine. There's a V7III in a warehouse but its different in that the racer has exposed edge cooling fins. I told them I'm interested in a carbon dark engine if one of those are available.
No word on the cause. I don't think they want to waste time opening it up and doing a post-mortem if the entire engine is being replaced anyway. They want me back on the road asap.

Back