• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

crossthreaded gearbox drain plug

Chadlebowski

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I foolishly cross-threaded the gearbox drain plug on my Stelvio.
Would helicoil be a viable repair option? Any other recommendations?

I foolishly cross-threaded the gearbox drain plug on my Stelvio.
Would helicoil be a viable repair option? Any other recommendations?

Mine was already screwed when I bought it and failed when I took it off to change the fluids. I managed to tap the hole one size bigger and bough a new drain plug to match. I actually bought this set off eBay and although is massive over kill, for the price I now have a set of taps and plugs for anything else that needs them. Mine is now fine. Hope this helps.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263382089360

Mine was already screwed when I bought it and failed when I took it off to change the fluids. I managed to tap the hole one size bigger and bough a new drain plug to match. I actually bought this set off eBay and although is massive over kill, for the price I now have a set of taps and plugs for anything else that needs them. Mine is now fine. Hope this helps.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263382089360

Good fix if not a bit of over kill. Otherwise yes a Heli Coil will work.

The key issue is to make sure you drill and tap square into the box so that the sealing washer will work. Be sure to lush out any metal particles that may end up in the gearbox. You may be able to snap the tab on the helicoil with needle nose pliers instead of punching it into the gearbox. Also coating your drill bit and tap with grease should trap the majority of the metal bits.

Thanks all. I would like to shake the hand of the man who put that plug and centre stand so close together.
I also noticed that the CARC oil was coming out cloudy; that means water ingress, right? Is it a major concern and where should I direct the fault-finding?

Also - with engine oil. I read that the filter seal should be greased, rather than oiled. Will standard moly grease do?
Lastly (excuse the novice question): can I refill engine oil through the cylinder heads, rather than through the dipstick cap?

A regular chassis grease (don't need moly) is fine. You can fill how you like, but I think oil drainage from a head is pretty slow. You could modify a valve cover and install a fill plug like an oil head BMW, but why? Easier to just fill with a long funnel through the dip stick hole.

Are folk filling the gearbox with the bike on the centre or the side stand?

You need to drain the oil on the center stand. If you are filling by the level plug, then on center stand again. I do recommend drain, then measure the specified amount to fill the gearbox. Then it doesn't matter which stand the bike is on when filling.

You need to drain the oil on the center stand. If you are filling by the level plug, then on center stand again. I do recommend drain, then measure the specified amount to fill the gearbox. Then it doesn't matter which stand the bike is on when filling.

Thanks - I was asking more to get the refill level right; but will measure what comes out and replace up to 500ml.

Back