• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lost my only key!

Crackers

Just got it firing!
Short story:

I have a new-to-me 07 Norge 1200. I only had one key. I have lost that key. The bike is parked in a safe
garage with the steering locked.

What are my options for correcting this situation? It looks like I'll have to get a dash unit and complete lockset. I'll also have to "slap hammer" the ignition lock cylinder out to unlock the steering. Is this correct?

I'm hoping my key will return to me, but my normal luck experience tells me no.

That party I went to on Saturday is gonna cost me. My whole key-life was on that ring. I'm not happy with the host, but it is what it is.

Thanks for any advice.

Crackers

What the others said, above, but before you commit ritual suicide, a few points.

1. All of us reading yours almost literally feel your pain. :banghead::swear:

2. I cannot imagine that key blanks are made in limitless variations. I'll be happy to send you my extra (after I ride it on the BRP with Kathi tomorrow and Thursday) to see if you won the lottery. My Griso's will fit into the Norge's, so unless one of the more knowledgeable reading this dissent, I'll send an extra one of those, too. If you go this route, lube keys as you don't need another problem.

3. Did you by any chance take a pic of the key? I do that on purchase of mine, tho mostly to capture the ID tag on it. The whole key industry has gone techno crazy in last few years and -- if you had such pic -- you might be able to have a high-end lock smith do magic with an OEM blank. Send mine back if doesn't work; or keep it 'til you get your replacement 20. ;)

4. As I pecked out #3, have to wonder if the key industry could not do an end run. I managed to leave Kathi's car key (and Kathi and car! :mad:) at a hotel and I rode home. Yes, an interesting day. While I was blissfully romping on backroads and without commo (much of W.V. is not Verizon country), resourceful Kathi hunted options. Among those -- aside from a hit man! :giggle: --were a locksmith. The first question the guy asked was "Is the key a 'regular' one or a 'snake?'" Kathi had nary a clue what he meant so the guy went to his PC and saw that our car -- a Honda Fit -- had a "snake," i.e., a new fob kind. The locksmith said he could do that, but after we added up the cost (about $200 to stay another night, etc.), she thanked him and declined. Yes, btw, as soon as I got home, learned of the problem, listened to some counseling :inlove:, I jumped into our other car and headed back 270 slab and somewhat illegal miles to Kathi ... with another key. And, yes, she now has that key tucked away in her bottomless purse!:clap: Obviously what I am obviously suggesting is that you get an OEM blank, have a (tech-savvy) local local locksmith define the "snake's" innards from your lockset and then cut that from your new OEM. Might be cheaper and less a PITA than a new dash.

5. Finally, don't give up hope on the key reappearing. My EV one did once under similar circumstances to your loss.

Best wishes,

Bill

For 9 years I had one key. I don't know why I didn't get a replacement sooner. Fortunately I never did lose the only key. I can understand what you are felling. Cameo are good. Used them for a dash corrosion repair. They had a turn around of 2 weeks including delivery.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess as a first step I should look into seeing if a locksmith can "reverse engineer" a key before I start destroying things. If it is indeed possible, then I can go about sending the dash out. Otherwise, I've seen some locksets (used) various places online (still need to send the dash out).

Still hoping my keys turn up. This is gonna be costly.:swear:

Thanks again, Buds!

I'm fairly sure we had a dealer here in the UK who could cut a new key from the VIN. Have you asked any Guzzi dealers in your area?
I know that would still give a problem coding the immobiliser chip.

Once you change the locks, you can send the keys and your dash to Carmo to have the dash programmed to the keys. https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=sleutels_verloren_aanmelden You can contact them directly for specifics.

With nobody else (apparently) doing this kind of work and the dealers being inept in this arena I am thinking I might have a "retirement" job in the making. Sure, there is a learning curve, but there is surely a demand. Think about the number of vehicles that use electronic keys matched to a vehicle computer. Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm".

Getting the manufacturers to cooperative with information would be the most difficult part. It's only sites like this one, where we share information, knowledge is gleaned.

The manufacturers have an obligation to their dealers, and both of them would rather sell you a new part (or bike!) rather than fix your existing one.

And it's likely to be different? Not what I observe by talking to owners of other marques.

Yes. I have never had a situation where the dealer could not re-set (reboot) the computer to factory settings with any other brand except Moto Guzzi. Additionally, I have not had experience with any other brand where a key code could not be reset by the dealer. MG dealers can't do this....

There is a plug-in under the seat that connects to the dash for updates. Never seen anything to do an update on Guzzi, only once on an Aprilia Mana. If the factory can go in you would think there could be software and a program to get the user code out of it.

There is a plug-in under the seat that connects to the dash for updates. Never seen anything to do an update on Guzzi, only once on an Aprilia Mana. If the factory can go in you would think there could be software and a program to get the user code out of it.

You can do updates by reflashing the ECU, like Todd offers on this site.

I think it for security reasons why you can't change the user code if you don't know the existing one. I like this sort or security.

You can do updates by reflashing the ECU, like Todd offers on this site. I think it for security reasons why you can't change the user code if you don't know the existing one. I like this sort or security.
Correct. The code is stored in the dashboard, not the ECU. The key and dashboard communicate, and if all is good, then gives the ECU the green light to energize. When I have done this several times before, I send the dash and a key to Carmo (or just the dash), and they always send back two key blanks to have cut. They never use the existing key. Just FYI.

Back