• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GTM V7 Mk I-II Oil Sump Spacers

I am not sure I ever posted this as an FYI to others. I installed this a few months back. I can't say that I believe I needed it and Guzzi has had the small oil reserves for years.......but this being said I feel better knowing I have almost an extra liter of oil. Quick and easy even for the non-mechanically inclined as I am.

Upload 2017 6 5 13 54 51

I have a GuzziTech sump extender on my 2012 V7R. Agree: very helpful to ensure oiling in our extreme Texas heat. Likely will order one for my V7 III....thanks! I was wondering if they were available...

SumpSpacer
32980341_10156074266180935_6430578026601250816_n.jpg

Here's my sump spacer fitted onto my '12 V7 Special. I was worried about ground clearance but it looks perfect. Thanks Todd. Only two sump spacers from you running around in Malaysia for now.

Last edited:
I have a GuzziTech sump extender on my 2012 V7R. Agree: very helpful to ensure oiling in our extreme Texas heat. Likely will order one for my V7 III....thanks! I was wondering if they were available...

I had this discussion before, both with my friend in the engine development department at Moto Guzzi and elsewhere (maybe here...): I am led to believe he V7III (and V9) crankcases and oiling system are somewhat different from the previous small blocks, don't suffer the oil heating and starvation problems, and likely do not need the additional oil capacity.

Additional oil capacity in the older engines doesn't make the oil run cooler; it makes the oil temperature more consistent and also is a workaround for oil starvation in certain circumstances. If the design of the lubrication and cooling systems are well balanced, and up to the specific heat implied by the output of the engine in all the circumstances of use, and oil starvation is not a problem, less oil is a plus because it heats to working temperature faster and the engine runs with suboptimal cool temperatures less of the time. More wear is caused by too low an oil temperature than too high, in general, as long as the oil is not being carbonized by too high a temperature.

The adoption of larger sump capacity starting with the 850cc big block motors, and then later big oil coolers on the V11, 1200, and 1400 engines, was a necessary change since what started as essentially a 700cc engine design increased in displacement and specific power outputs well beyond the initial design.

We've seen this over and over again in the history of engine development over the past century. :)

I am led to believe he V7III (and V9) crankcases and oiling system are somewhat different from the previous small blocks
I can confirm they are very different. Extra capacity would still be nice, but cannot be easily done on the V7III / V9.
Zero downside to running them on any of the older small blocks, even up to 2016 V7 II.

"Sleeved down" ... Well, both bore and stroke are different:

V7III
Displacement 744 cc
Bore/stroke 80 x 74 mm

V9
Displacement 853 cc
Bore/stroke 84 x 77 mm​

But the V7III motor is definitely the same as the V9 motor in a smaller displacement. :D
Sorry for the pedantry! :)

Of course the bore is different. That's the definition of sleeved down. I did not look at the numbers for stroke.
To be more precise, the V7III is a V9 motor reduced in capacity, correct?

I want to buy one but I just want to know what the clearance difference would be between the 1.6 and 2.5?

I want to buy one but I just want to know what the clearance difference would be between the 1.6 and 2.5?
1.25”/31.75mm drop down from stock. Never heard any issues to date.

I was a bit neglectful with my normally diligent pre-ride check after never seeing even the slightest change in oil levels in my post-ride assessments. As a result I was 150 miles out, in the middle of the mountains, when the oil level light started intermittently flashing. There was no oil indicated on the dip stick. It was probably another 30 miles of riding with kid-glove handling of the motor until I was able to top off. If not for the oil spacer pan I would have risked serious damage to engine. As it was, with the spacer installed the biggest ill effect of this mistake was severely frayed nerves. There was still almost a quart and a half of oil in the sump. (I did a full oil/filter change as soon as I got back into town.)

I was a bit neglectful with my normally diligent pre-ride check after never seeing even the slightest change in oil levels in my post-ride assessments. As a result I was 150 miles out, in the middle of the mountains, when the oil level light started intermittently flashing. There was no oil indicated on the dip stick. It was probably another 30 miles of riding with kid-glove handling of the motor until I was able to top off. If not for the oil spacer pan I would have risked serious damage to engine. As it was, with the spacer installed the biggest ill effect of this mistake was severely frayed nerves. There was still almost a quart and a half of oil in the sump. (I did a full oil/filter change as soon as I got back into town.)
Damn, I'm glad everything turned out well. A quart and a half, that's basically stock... You lost a whole quart of oil... Leakage?

Damn, I'm glad everything turned out well. A quart and a half, that's basically stock... You lost a whole quart of oil... Leakage?
Yeah, I lost a more than an entire quart! (More specifically there was about 1.3 quarts left, meaning I lost ≈1.2 quarts)
I'm not sure how this happened. If anything the oil consumption of this engine seems to be variable.
Almost all of my riding is longer out-of-town rides on the weekends. It's pretty common for me to come back and see no change in oil levels. On other occasions I have seen 0.2 quart losses such as after a hard-run 180 miles of canyon riding. The same course on another day and I might find no change in oil level. I think usage just depends on how hard I was riding on that particular day. Todd did warn me that "these motors can/do use oil". I think that's a good way of putting it!

I have seen 0.2 quart losses after a hard-run.... same course on another day and I might find no change in oil level.... [usage seems to] depend on how hard I was riding...
FWIW - "riding hard" is more a function of not quite being 'in the groove' on a particular day than it is of how fast or how aggressively I was corning.

"Oil level light"? I did not know Guzzi put them on their bikes. I normally only see the oil pressure light, and that only seems to light up when there is no oil pressure.
I had a similar thing happen to me with a Buell Blast (also carries a ridiculously small amount of oil), it scuffed the piston / cylinder due to lack of oil flow. Luckily the Buell was built like a Harley and carried its cam down in the engine cases. I took the opportunity to upgrade, fitting a new big bore piston and cylinder.

Folks, I have a surplus on these that I'd like to clear my shelf of; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-rx-v7-sump-spacer-kit-black -- I just put them on sale, and you can use the discount code shown above until Monday at midnight PST.
You will have to get your own two (2) pan gaskets from your local dealer or online part # 887004

Hope everyone is staying healthy, and that "social distancing" means two-wheeled enjoyment for you.

Are these recommended for the V85 engine as well? I don't know the differences between the 750 small block in the V7 and the 850 small block in the V85.

The V85 has a different sump. I thought it shared the same sump as the Cali 1400, but I note that the part numbers are different.

There has been no history of the V85 motors spitting out their oil, nor the V7-III motors.

Back