• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bike won’t start

dududuckling

Cruisin' Guzzisti
2017 V7 III Stone with 2100 miles.

I last rode it on Thursday and the bike wouldn’t start this morning. This morning: Turned the key to ON, kick stand off, gear in N, kill switch to ON, hit the start button and it just “click click click” with DRL flickers everytime it clicks. With the kill switch to OFF, it kept clicking and drl flickering nonstop. It only stopped after I turned the key back to OFF.

Battery - Still stock since March 2018, rode it daily and is now at 2100 miles.

Gas - Might have 1-2 gal of gas left (normally used 3-4 gal of gas every two weeks), but the gas light was not lit on Thursday.

The only thing that bothers me most is it clicks and clicks even with kill switch off. Could it be electrical or not enough gas?

Thanks in advance!

That sounds electrical. And it sounds like a weak battery. It is near impossible for it to have anything to do with how much gas is in the bike (I really think it is impossible, but I hate using absolutes).
You should check your battery.
I would either put your battery on a charger or replace it. I would also check your charging voltage once you do get it started. You may have a charging issue.

As Mike says above, it's the battery. You actually got a decent amount of life out of the stock battery.
Seriously? 2100 miles is considered good? Man, the stock battery must really be crap.

I put over 8000 KM on my 1981 Ducati in the early 1990's and never changed the battery, and over 12000 km on my 1994 KLR650 on the stock battery. Guess the new batteries these days are just junk.

It is still clicking away even with the kill switch OFF (00:14), until I turned the key OFF.
Ah, so the ECU knows the engine isn't running, so it is continuing to try to engage the starter motor relay. You might want to check the cables at the battery, or best yet to know the voltage at the battery (before you buy a new battery). It might be something simple.

Seriously? 2100 miles is considered good? Man, the stock battery must really be crap.I put over 8000 KM on my 1981 Ducati in the early 1990's and never changed the battery, and over 12000 km on my 1994 KLR650 on the stock battery. Guess the new batteries these days are just junk.
They are... I've been stating this for 2+ years, always met with similar comments. ;)
Old lead-acid batts were good, AGMs have gotten continually worse over the last few years.

They are... I've been stating this for 2+ years, always met with similar comments. ;)
Old lead-acid batts were good, AGMs have gotten continually worse over the last few years.
What is the expected life span of the lithium battery (Anti-Gravity ATX12-RS) you listed in your post?

What is the expected life span of the lithium battery (Anti-Gravity ATX12-RS) you listed in your post?
I have a AG lithium from 2011 in my Stelvio I've never even once put a charger on. The upside to the ATX is if you abuse it, it has a button to jump start the bike automatically. I would expect a modern lith-i to last 4-5 years (easily) or a lot more if not abused.

I have a AG lithium from 2011 in my Stelvio I've never even once put a charger on. The upside to the ATX is if you abuse it, it has a button to jump start the bike automatically. I would expect a modern lith-i to last 4-5 years (easily) or a lot more if not abused.
Great, will be on my shopping list next year as I have about 3300 KM on the stock battery at this point.

It is not miles that takes a battery out but time and lack of maintenance (occasional charging).
So a well maintained battery, taken care of, and run daily or at minimum charged once per month (when bike is uninsured) should have a better life span. Good to know.

So a well maintained battery, taken care of, and run daily or at minimum charged once per month (when bike is uninsured) should have a better life span. Good to know.

Once a month is probably pushing your luck. My philosophy on keeping my motorcycle batteries charged is to use an ordinary (read cheap) low capacity charger on a timer, charging the battery for 15 minutes four times a day. I've had batteries last as long as twelve years using this technique. As Todd has noted, the modern ones ain't so good.

if you bought it new this march they didn't charge it before delivering it. it should be replaced by the dealer assuming it's bad in the first place. fully charge it then take it to a auto zone etc for a load test if it fails call the dealer and by yourself a trickle charger like the battery tender.

Ah, so the ECU knows the engine isn't running, so it is continuing to try to engage the starter motor relay. You might want to check the cables at the battery, or best yet to know the voltage at the battery (before you buy a new battery). It might be something simple.
I think it is doing that because once you request a "start" it triggers a timer that keeps trying to start the motor for a preset amount of time. That is how they now have the single push to start. When I get on an older bike and hit the starter sometimes I forget and only push the button that one single time, expecting it to keep trying to start until it starts. But all I get is a short burst of starter motor and then silence. Followed by me saying "Doh!!!".

if you bought it new this march they didn't charge it before delivering it. it should be replaced by the dealer assuming it's bad in the first place. fully charge it then take it to a auto zone etc for a load test if it fails call the dealer and by yourself a trickle charger like the battery tender.
Been there, done that, same result. I even took delivery of it in the box and put it into service myself on one occasion... it lasted 4 weeks. I'm done with AGM batteries for good. Seems that if you buy a pre-charged version from Yuasa, you'll get better results... up to 2 years max.

It is the battery. I took it to O'reillys to have it checked. They charged it for 15 mins before doing load test, it simply won't retain charge.

The bike is still covered by warranty. But the closest Guzzi dealer is in Thousand Oaks, and then Orange County, and then San Diego, and I have to take time off work to drive there and back, and end up with the same battery that might go kaput in a few months.

So, I will be getting the new antigravity battery from Todd next month, then it's one less thing to worry about when riding the bike. I just hope turning on/off the bike yesterday morning did not damage any other parts like the start, relay, etc. Thanks all for the quick replies!

Back