• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Road version of Moto Guzzi V85 in development

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
For those who are curious... from Auto Times News

Moto Guzzi did not lose with the new Moto Tourenduro Moto Guzzi V85. The Italians created a sturdy, slightly utilitarian motorcycle that sparked heated discussion and attention from motorcyclists around the world. First of all, the development of a new engine, which will now serve as the basis for other models.

In an interview with the Italian magazine Motociclismo, the head of the development of two-wheeled products Antonio Cappellini confirmed that the manufacturer will continue to develop the model range around the new engine. Antonio also said that the road version is already in development.

No wonder, quite predictable developments. The new Moto Guzzi engine easily passes the Euro4 standard and will be able to pass the Euro5 tests. The power unit produces 80 hp. Not the highest rate, but the Italian manufacturer does not participate in the battle of performance, relying on other things.

It is difficult to say what the next model will be, so just wait for the latest rumors and news.

In Europe, the new Moto Guzzi V85 TT will cost 11,500 euros. Available in February 2019.

Interesting, I remember seeing a small note on the Moto Guzzi Clan website in about July or August that they were introducing a road bike based on the V85 engine at ECIMA this year, but very shorty after the note was removed and they did not introduce it.

I hope that means they are far alone in the development cycle, but just weren't quite ready yet. We'll see.

I have seen this "photoshop lash-up" which does look rather good, even though its mirror imaged and backwards.

2c474d21e468c4674f12b7ba72ef8490.png

I have seen this "photoshop lash-up" which does look rather good
I’ve seen that one too. I don’t care for it. I sure hope they just stick it in the V7 platform with updated wider 17” wheels. It’s what they should’ve done with the V9 IMO.

Since they are hell-bent on reviving the brand in the wrong direction, and the bikes having as much soul as an SV650, I am surprised they didn't use 16" wheels. But on the upside: by the looks of it this one comes with the revolutionary right to left transverse cross over shaft drive unit as opposed to possibly using the Carc drive that I always suspected of actually housing a chain. An engineering feat on par with the 500cc V8. Impressive :)
Can't wait to see the dyno numbers.

I’ve seen that one too. I don’t care for it. I sure hope they just stick it in the V7 platform with updated wider 17” wheels. It’s what they should’ve done with the V9 IMO.
I agree. That looks terrible.

I'm very curious what they come up with. As mentioned in the rideapart (https://www.rideapart.com/articles/276810/moto-guzzi-v85-new-model/) article on the topic, my hope would be that they come out with a small lightweight MG naked along the lines of the Ducati Monster - something with 16" wheels. If MG is looking to broaden their market share they should think about this. Everybody (inexplicably) LOVES the Monster. [I mean, it's OK...], but this is a segment that MG could expand into, rather than trying to appeal to the same crowd that already has an MG bike. There just isn't the depth in that segment to support another sports-tourer, à la, BMW R series... if they are looking to expand their appeal.

Even I would buy a V85, 80 h.p., MG version* of a Ducati Monster!

*(assuming they didn't piggly it out but kept it lightweight, hight power to weight, short wheel base and crisp handling)

my hope would be that they come out with a small lightweight MG naked along the lines of the Ducati Monster - something with 16" wheels.
Even I would buy a V85, 80 h.p., MG version* of a Ducati Monster!
Assume you mean 17" wheels... and everyone shouldn't get too excited about this magic 80 hp number. The last gen hemi 1100-2V motor made 61 rwhp stock; https://archive.guzzitech.com/EVPower-MaxDyno.html -- and the 1200-2V made 71 rwhp; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gt-modded-1200-sport-2v-dyno-run.5830/
If we see anywhere near ~65 at the tire, I'll be quite impressed.
Chris, you have the best out there with your 820 Quattrovalvole with ~60 rwhp. ;)

Chris, you have the best out there with your 820 Quattrovalvole with ~60 rwhp. ;)
Perhaps you mean that the GT-Rx 820-4V kit is pure magic?!?? Because it is!! ;) :) :nod:
BUT in addition to having the GT 820-QV engine, my bike has pretty much the full GT treatment, which really brings it all together...
(I should really buy a GoPro to capture some footage of what this bike is capable and why it is so enjoyable!!)

I think my comments were more along the lines of 'MG might consider putting the V85 engine in a shorter wheelbase lightweight minimalistic naked bike if they want to expand their market share'. Even my V7R 820-QV, as a V7, is a longer wheel base platform.

MG might open up an entirely new audience by building a bike with the V85 engine that had Monster-like architecture powered with the much more charming and charismatic MG engine.

Perhaps you mean that the GT-Rx 820-4V kit is pure magic?!?? Because it is!! ;) :) :nod:
Yes indeed! Too bad hardly anyone took advantage of my offerings. Long over now.
I think my comments were more along the lines of 'MG might consider putting the V85 engine in a shorter wheelbase lightweight minimalistic naked bike if they want to expand their market share'. Even my V7R 820-QV, as a V7, is a longer wheel base platform.
The engine/trans layout controls the wheelbase, and they tried that tall/short on the V11 Spine series... which is mediocre at best. Long and low is where it’s at. Wait until you ride a GTM build. ;)

I like the looks of the Photoshop Prototype and hope that they come out with something like that, as long as it doesn't get too heavy. One on the things I most like about the V7III Racer is its small, light, low feel.

Wheelbase ... heh! To me, Racer feels short and quick. My old Ducati 750GTs and the Guzzi LeMans V were much longer wheelbase, stable as freight trains. But I'm an old fahrt nowadays, all that zooty super-short, high, modern stuff is more than I want to deal with anymore. And it just isn't very pretty like Racer is. :D

I'm looking forward to what comes out of this, seems t me it shouldn't be a difficult task. My V7 Special does all I ask of it so I see no need to make a change and there are other bikes in the garage that satisfy every itch.

Paul

... and there are other bikes in the garage that satisfy every itch.

Paul
Ah! And this is exactly the point that I was making. If Moto Guzzi wants to expand their market range they could make a bike that satisfies one of those 'itches' and, instead of having a non-MG bike in your garage to 'satisfy that itch', it might instead be filled by another Moto Guzzi - something along the lines of the hypothetical MG that I was describing.

If MG builds another V7 platform/V7 style bike with the V85 engine, some current owners might exchange their current bike for a new one, but this doesn't recruit new buyers. On the other hand MG might attract a segment of buyers that are more interested in a Monster style bike with an offering along the lines of what I am pitching, and if this is the niche that one of your other (non-MG) bikes currently fills, if you were to buy a new MG to fill that niche, then they have expanded their market share with such an offering.

For instance, I don't want/need another V7 in the stable (probably a sentiment shared by many owners), but I would be totally thrilled to add an MG made Monster style bike.

I would be happy if they would place something performance wise in between their sister company's Tuono and Shiver the Tuono is a great power house but its a bit much where as the shiver is a bit heavy for the power output. Even if they only shave weight from the of road bits and large tank it could be a nice bike for a sporting weekend.

Ah! And this is exactly the point that I was making. If Moto Guzzi wants to expand their market range they could make a bike that satisfies one of those 'itches' and, instead of having a non-MG bike in your garage to 'satisfy that itch', it might instead be filled by another Moto Guzzi - something along the lines of the hypothetical MG that I was describing.

If MG builds another V7 platform/V7 style bike with the V85 engine, some current owners might exchange their current bike for a new one, but this doesn't recruit new buyers. On the other hand MG might attract a segment of buyers that are more interested in a Monster style bike with an offering along the lines of what I am pitching, and if this is the niche that one of your other (non-MG) bikes currently fills, if you were to buy a new MG to fill that niche, then they have expanded their market share with such an offering.

For instance, I don't want/need another V7 in the stable (probably a sentiment shared by many owners), but I would be totally thrilled to add an MG made Monster style bike.

The best thing Guzzi could do to strengthen the brand and broaden there market is to improve customer support and expand the dealer net work. Many of my friends, riding buddies, and acquaintances like the Guzzi's I've had but won't make the leap because of the weak support/lack of dealers. With my mix, BMW, Indian, Vespa, Guzzi I'm hedging my bet and not reliant on a single marque. That's just how I roll.

Paul

Back