• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7ii Stone 2015 ,G'box oil out of breather.

Andy McFarlane

Just got it firing!
hello everyone , I have a problem with gearbox oil coming out of G'box breather, is this a known phenomenon , not happening all the time just occaisionaly, ( 3 times ) any help would be appreciated
can't really describe what riding conditions it happens at , tho '
seems to be when using higher revs for short bursts, ????

If it is not over filled, you could let out 50cc and see how that works. I used to put a barb fitting on the SB from the 80's and run a vent hose up to frame rails.

I have the same bike, and can tell you it is sensitive to oil qty. I added 1/2 litre after 1st servicing, and it puked after running for several hours at 70+mph. So i drained it and put 450 ml in. Hasn't puked yet (1 year). But i haven't run it as hard as on the prior trip. So far so good.

I have the same bike, and can tell you it is sensitive to oil qty. I added 1/2 litre after 1st servicing, and it puked after running for several hours at 70+mph. So i drained it and put 450 ml in. Hasn't puked yet (1 year). But i haven't run it as hard as on the prior trip. So far so good.
Thanks for this Will drain and refill as you suggest , Strangely here in England we are experiencing a prolonged period of high tempretures ( 30* + some days ) so wondered if this could be a factor !!!!

I have to take my 2016 V7 to the dealers in November as Guzzi Technical department suspect that there is a problem with the clutch housing breather into the gearbox blowing oil out of the gearbox breather. They are going to strip the gearbox down to find out. Glad I'm not paying for it (unresolved warranty issue) Will let you know what they find.

On my '16 V7II, if you don't remove the filler cap when you drain the oil, it doesn't drain completely. Then, when you add 1/2 liter, it will be too full. Solution: remove both the filler and drain caps and let it drain fully before refilling it.

I have to take my 2016 V7 to the dealers in November as Guzzi Technical department suspect that there is a problem with the clutch housing breather into the gearbox blowing oil out of the gearbox breather. They are going to strip the gearbox down to find out. Glad I'm not paying for it (unresolved warranty issue) Will let you know what they find.
Hi Mick, Yes please let me now outcome ,very interested, Thanks

Good God man it's a couple of bucks to drain it and refill it right. I wouldn't let anybody touch my bike before trying this first. search for the other threads here with the same problem solved. these guys sound tool happy!

I had already tried the oil quantity idea. As this is a warranty issue Mandelo del Lario have authorised (and are paying for) this. If the bike was not under warranty I would try to solve it myself.

As promised, an update on gearbox leak from breather. Problem was gearbox breather system, gearbox seal on the driveshaft was sitting in too far causing pressure build up in the gearbox. Motoguzzi supplied new seal. No more problems. Reducing oil level can mask the problems by providing more space for pressure build up but doesn't fix the problem. My mechanic is first class but if you don't trust yours then you can choose to mask the issue. Good luck. Happy Guzzi.

Where was the pressure coming from in the first place? There is no source of pressure in the gearbox.

If the vent isn't working properly heat generated from moving parts can cause a pressure build up.
The amount of pressure from that would be fairly minor, but if the vent isn't working properly how would the oil be expelled out the vent?
I am just questioning the logic that excess oil being expelled was from a problem with the breather system and the seal(s).
I hope they managed to fix the problem, but if they did I suspect it was by luck.

The amount of pressure from that would be fairly minor, but if the vent isn't working properly how would the oil be expelled out the vent?
I am just questioning the logic that excess oil being expelled was from a problem with the breather system and the seal(s).
I hope they managed to fix the problem, but if they did I suspect it was by luck.

On the old Eldorado loop frame, the gearbox vented through the shift drum detent spring. If heavy oil clogged the spring, the gearbox would pump oil out. Switching to synthetic solved the issue. Later bikes have a long tube routed high in the frame for oil expansion.

Back