• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'74 Eldorado Police Model

J_C

Just got it firing!
Hey guys. This is my first post here, so I'll share a bit of background on my Guzzi, before I ask my question. A couple of years ago, my dad gave me his '74 Eldorado Police model. He had owned it since '76, So I grew up touring the country on the back of this thing and had been begging him to give it to me, one day, since I was 10 years old. So, kind of a big deal, haha. Its mostly original, with a few customized bits. The floorboards, tank cap, and hubcap are from an old Harley, the seat and front fender are both custom made, National Cycle windshield, and the exhausts have been modified with the baffles removed and tips welded onto the ends. I'll leave a recent pic down below. It had been in storage for 10+ years when I got it, but had been rebuilt right before going into storage, so some fresh gas, a new battery, and some cleaner down the carbs was all it took to make her fire up on the first try.

Anyways, I've had the bike on the road for about a year and a half, and I'm about to start bringing some new life to the old girl with a few new accessories. So far, I've got a solo seat and rear rack from Harper's on the way, and a set of new bags from eBay that I'm going to put on for now. My question is this: is there anyone who makes a sissy bar and rear rack for a dual seat for these bikes? I haven't had any luck finding any. Thanks in advance for any and all info!
c4137f9.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the 70s a luggage rack was readily available. It even had braces that went to where the rear fender bolted to the frame tab. I had one but have since sold it. I can't remember the maker as it wasn't factory but an after marked item. You might call Harper's Moto Guzzi. They may have some hanging around.

Reactions: J_C
Back in the 70s a luggage rack was readily available. It even had braces that went to where the rear fender bolted to the frame tab. I had one but have since sold it. I can't remember the maker as it wasn't factory but an after marked item. You might call Harper's Moto Guzzi. They may have some hanging around.
Thanks for the info! I had been thinking about calling them to see if they have or know of any, so I'll definitely do so.

Any idea about a backrest?

Thanks for the info! I had been thinking about calling them to see if they have or know of any, so I'll definitely do so.

Any idea about a backrest?

A back rest would bolt to the luggage rack. Or put a truck with pad on the luggage rack to get the same result plus more storage.

A back rest would bolt to the luggage rack. Or put a truck with pad on the luggage rack to get the same result plus more storage.
I've thought about dressing it out, like it used to be, which would solve my problem with a touring pack. My dad had a HUGE ferring with hardbags and a travel pack, along with some custom aluminum light up GUZZI panels under the hardbags. I'll have to dig around for and old picture. She was pretty sweet.

The thing that makes me hesitant to start putting stuff like that back on is that I read one article in which the guy claimed that the bike tends to become unstable and get into death wobbles when riding solo with all of that stuff added. Do you have any idea if there is any truth to this? I only wonder about it, because the one and only wreck this bike ever had was when my dad was riding solo up to Sturgis and got into a wobble he couldn't recover from. That's when all of the old stuff came off, as it was mostly trashed. Bright side: all of that fiberglass saved the rest of the bike from damage.

Last edited:
I had a 73 Eldorado. Some of them would do the wobble, some didn't. With a handlebar mounted fairing it would wobble at over 70 mph. Switched over to a Harley style windshield and the wobble stopped. The bike also had a trunk and bags. Just make sure the steering head bearings are in good shape and the swing arm is centered and you should be OK.

A lot of the wobble was caused by too much rear ward weight bias - a rack with trunk (or in the case of the police bikes a radio box) hanging way off the back. It would be a good idea to add a steering damper. Some information about that can be found here: http://thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_steering_damper_replacement.html
Thanks for the tip. This one being a 74 police model, it came stock eith a damper on it. The one on it was long dead, so I replaced it, last season. So would balancing the rear weight with a ferring on the front end help at all?

Last edited:
Depending on the fairing, it could make things worse. The vintage Bates, Wixoms, Calafias, etc. all seem to make a wobble more likely. Even a police type "tombstone" windshield can effect stability.

A lot of the wobble was caused by too much rear ward weight bias - a rack with trunk (or in the case of the police bikes a radio box) hanging way off the back. It would be a good idea to add a steering damper. Some information about that can be found here: http://thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_steering_damper_replacement.html

JC, remember this saying when loading a bike. Bricks in the saddle bags, and feathers in the trunk. That is keep all weight as low as possible.

Back