• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Poor gas milage 2013 V7 Classic

Don Quixote

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello guys. I have this 2013 V7 Classic purchased second hand with Mistral pipes and a K&N air filter installed by the previous owner. I've learned to be patient and let the bike warm up before going on a ride, etc. However what it shocked me since I've purchased it is the incredible poor gas mileage. The low warning fuel light comes on exactly at 80 miles every single time and every single time I put
approximately 2.85 gallons which pretty much fills up the tank.
I understand that the low fuel light comes on quite prematurely on these bikes so there are more than 2 gallons left in the tank... However 80 miles on 2.85 gallons!? That translates in a little more than 28 miles/gallon.
I use 93 octane gasoline by the way and I do my riding in city traffic. The bike sounds great, no idling issues and once is warmed
up runs great.
I do not know if previous owner did a re-mapping... But from what I understand Mistrals do not require such and I doubt a K&N filter requires one as well.
Any assistance/ideas appreciated. Thanks

Why do you wait for it to warm up? I think best practice is to get on it, start it and go. What do the plugs look like , they are a good indicator of fuel consumption, Are you comparing US v UK gallon. Just a thought.

Agree with Kevin that it is best to just start off easy and not have the bike sit running. Now what is the state of tune? That is has it been serviced and everything set up correctly?

No! Keep warming it up for 2 minutes. If you don't it will fall flat on it's face in the middle of an intersection and u become splat!
Start with a new stock filter and make sure the Po didn't disconnect the temperature or atmosphere sensor. Check the valves and do new plugs and plug connectors. Look them up here. Lots of info then get it hooked up to a computer. I suspect the Po messed something up. It should get a min of 45 us gallon.

In answer to your questions... I'm using US gallons, premium fuel @ about $3.50/gallon. The reason that I'm waiting for the bike to warm up a little is that, especially in this weather... mostly sub 30° Fahrenheit and the V7 being kept outdoors, if I were to just jump on it and go the Guzzi will not be too happy.
Placing it in 1st gear and going thru the other gears it's a little rough due to high oil viscosity.
So after warming up the bike a little, putting my helmet on, gloves, etc I get up on it and go taking it easy for a few minutes until I hear the reassuring "clank" produced by placing it in 1st gear.
As for the spark plugs I didn't have the chance to inspect due to the weather. Too cold/windy recently here in NYC but once weather permitting I will do so. The previous owner mentioned that service was done prior to the purchase. Engine oil is clean and at the proper level.
To note that the bike has 24k miles, and it runs great. No idle issues whatsoever but it "pops" occasionally when downshifting which I rather enjoy. The only problem is the poor gas milage.

The early single throttle body bike had to warm up exactly 2 min.. Guzzi addressed the issue and had a map revision. Have to have software & cables to see what's in there. You could also go to a dealer to check on a newer map, should be a choice in the PADS software if it see's a new map available.

Yup... 45 miles/gallon sounds right. I'd be happy with 40. The ambient/atmosphere temperature sensor is functioning fine. Just wondering if the K&N filter, Mistral pipes could have such a huge impact on the milage.
And yes I will hook it up to a computer shortly to diagnose the problem.

If you have a 5 speed trans original map #3523V702 was revised to #352BV738 & #352BV737 for Stones
if you have a 6 speed trans original map #4533V740 was revised to #4533V795 then to #4533V796 that could have to do w/ABS & T/C

Last edited:
I have a 5 speed no ABS this being a 2013.
So the best bet is to visit the MG dealer and see what mapping exists and do an update mapping if necessary. Any idea what this might be in $ terms?
Thanks

The shop I worked at it was minimum 1/2hr. Only takes 15min or so, then reset tps or whatever relearning there is on it.
You could also get a flash box from the store here on GT, get a map and reset all w/o dealer.

Last edited:
The shop I worked at it was minimum 1/2hr. Only takes 15min or so, then reset tps or whatever relearning there is on it.
You could also get a flash box from the store here on GT, get a map and reset all w/o dealer.
I'll do this asap. Thanks again

I consistently get 50 mpg on my 2013 no matter how bad I flog it. I have the upgraded GT map, standard paper filter, arrow pipes and EVAP in place.

The Previous Owner may have installed a "PowerCommander" and/or some kind of "O2 Optimizer" on your bike. Check and see.

That's what one of the POs had done on my 3rd-hand 04 Breva 750cc. It was only getting high 30s mpg and it ran like krepp to boot. Bucking, surging, bickfiring, etc.

Removing the aftermarket electronic junk was the first thing I did to restore the engine to a known state.
Then I had Todd here @ GuzziTech reflash the ECU. Perfect behavior after that.

I see you're in NYC - approx sea level. Bikes & cars get worse mileage in the lowlands than at higher altitudes.
I put 50,000 on my Breva at 5,000+ ft altitude in the Colorado mountains. Always got mid-50s mpg.

Also, "premium" gas gives a few less mpg than "regular." I always ran mine on 85 octane regular in the mountains, At sea level you can et along fine with mid-grade octane.

Once sorted, that little bike became my favorite among many. Believe it.

This file is full of info that I gathered and used for my Breva. I will help you, too:

dansher.com/bikepix/Guzzi/_V7_fyi.txt

' Geezer

Thanks to all for the infos & input.
Btw the bike doesn't have any electronic "add on junk" and I have used 87, 91 and 93 octane with the same poor milage result.

Back