• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 hanging throttle

Godspeed my friend.

Given my experience and the others on this forum who have been grappling with these throttle issues, even with a dealer you're not guaranteed much. My 2014 has been sitting in a dealer shop for a month without even a diagnosis. It's pretty clear to me that Piaggio is not committed to Guzzi beyond selling discounted v7's to hipsters moving on from Vespas. I'm thinking my 1400 might be worth more as parts on eBay right now.

New Mexico was made for riding. The high road to Taos is epic. I was always planning going to take my Guzzis with me on my move to Santa Fe, but I'm shedding anything built in the 21-century. My '71will have an honored place in the courtyard.

Hope to see you in Madrid some Sunday morning. Maybe on a predictable, mid-life crisis GS or Road King. Don't judge me. I've earned it.

I just started experiencing the problem this weekend with a 2016 Eldorado with 1900 miles. Throttle sticks at around 3000 rpm but can be caused to go back to idle by blipping the throttle. No dealer in New Mexico to help with the problem either.
I tried riding it again this evening and got about 500 feet from the house with an URGENT SERVICE warning and the bike went into Limp Mode. Due to a slight slope leading away from the house I could not get back to the house uphill in Limp Mode so stuck in the middle of the street I tried shutting off the key. Upon restarting, it seemed to reset everything and I was able to once again use the throttle to get enough power to get back up the hill and home. Once I got home, I noticed the throttle seemed to still be sticking around 3000 rpm and had now developed a slight stumble/hesitation upon throttle open. NOT HAPPY!!

I wanted to give an update on my 2016 Eldorado with hanging throttle. Brought the bike into On Any Moto in Tucson (Ride Now in Phoenix is no longer a Moto Guzzi dealer) a couple of weeks ago for 6K service, and I mentioned the issues. Picked it up a few days later and they told me the valves were loose (so they adjusted them) and updated software.

Wow! Big difference. Returns to idle much better/quicker. No hanging throttle issue since. The oil change seems to make shifting smoother too. Definitely enjoyed her this past weekend!!

After nearly two months sitting in a dealer shop without a solid diagnosis, the factory trained mechanic left for a Kawasaki dealership; the regional Piaggio rep shrugged his shoulder. I limped the bike home. Today, I hooked the laptop up, cleared the codes and swapped out the crank position sensor. Fixed. Less than an hour.
I should be happy, but I’m stilled pissed and I’m done with the new Guzzi’s. Euro 4 and air cooled just doesnt work well. And Piaggio is not serious about the U.S. market.

But I wanted to share with you guys what I think could be a problem others might encounter.

If you’ve got an issue with rough or weak revs above 4K on a hot day, most definitely think CPS. The experts at Piaggio all surmised that the sensor either works or it doesn’t. If the bike runs and doesn’t throw relevant codes, they generally don’t consider it a possible source of problems.

I think it could be the source of a shtload of mysterious problems plaguing the 1400. The CPS sits in a blazing hot area of the block. It heats up, gets a fever, and starts to babble incoherently— fundamentally screwing with everything. If the ECU doesn’t know the precise crank position, it can’t do anything right.

If you run out of ideas, swap it out. It’s cheap. Certainly makes more sense than reflexively changing the clutch switch. ...or waiting for some guy in Italy to interpret the 7sm read out.

I’m done with the new Guzzi’s
I feel you, but as the saying goes... "Moto Guzzi - Making mechanics out of riders since 1921."
The basis of this site is to help those that enjoy the bikes aside from all of their issues.
Best to you with another brand.

Sorry for the rant. Felt the info could help someone.

Btw: I’m only done with Piaggio. I’ll hang on to the loopframe. As long as Charlie Mulledore and Greg Bender are keeping it alive, I’m in.

... but maybe the v85?

Until then...

Sorry for the rant. Felt the info could help someone. Btw: I’m only done with Piaggio. I’ll hang on to the loopframe. As long as Charlie Mulledore and Greg Bender are keeping it alive, I’m in.
... but maybe the v85? Until then...
All good, and it sure will.
Cool on the loop, and don't count on anything different with the V85. You'll only be disappointed further I suspect being an all new model.

After nearly two months sitting in a dealer shop without a solid diagnosis, the factory trained mechanic left for a Kawasaki dealership; the regional Piaggio rep shrugged his shoulder. I limped the bike home. Today, I hooked the laptop up, cleared the codes and swapped out the crank position sensor. Fixed. Less than an hour.
I should be happy, but I’m stilled pissed and I’m done with the new Guzzi’s. Euro 4 and air cooled just doesnt work well. And Piaggio is not serious about the U.S. market.

But I wanted to share with you guys what I think could be a problem others might encounter.

If you’ve got an issue with rough or weak revs above 4K on a hot day, most definitely think CPS. The experts at Piaggio all surmised that the sensor either works or it doesn’t. If the bike runs and doesn’t throw relevant codes, they generally don’t consider it a possible source of problems.

I think it could be the source of a shtload of mysterious problems plaguing the 1400. The CPS sits in a blazing hot area of the block. It heats up, gets a fever, and starts to babble incoherently— fundamentally screwing with everything. If the ECU doesn’t know the precise crank position, it can’t do anything right.

If you run out of ideas, swap it out. It’s cheap. Certainly makes more sense than reflexively changing the clutch switch. ...or waiting for some guy in Italy to interpret the 7sm read out.

Quick question, you mentioned you cleared the codes and replaced the CPS (today) and everything is now good. Did you take it for a long ride in hot conditions and perhaps altitude to verify. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, are you sure it's fixed, or did you just get lucky on a cool day. I've been here so many times with cars and other bikes that you think you've cracked the problem only for to reappear later, under different conditions

BTW truly hoping that this was the fix for your bike

...don't jinx me.

i can't be certain, but it was high 80's. plenty hot. i ran the bike hard in second gear running it at 5 grand for extended periods. then in town sitting around at lights. the oil cooler thermostat started the fan. previously, that temp would have rendered the bike unrideable.

but no symptoms, save for slight ping on acceleration. i chalk that up to the stock lean fueling -- which makes the bike run even hotter.

per todd, i restored everything to stock before taking it to the dealer. when i get some time in a couple weeks, i'll put the pc/at and wide band lambdas on and report back.

pcv/at back on. temp in the mid 90's. idle and acceleration good. I only wished I hadn't listened to the mechanics who firmly asserted that the cps "either works or it don't."

i'd put that sensor high on the troubleshooting list -- if only because it's so cheap and easy to swap out.

15K and clutch switch packed a sad.
SERVICE on dash

Prior to that the throttle was starting to hang on idle.

V4LS switch replaced. Alaris used to reset warning.
Problem solved.

Thank you Todd and forum.

Money, time and aggrovation saved.

I had a sticking throttle it would just hang at 3K with the throttle released. It made exiting the freeway interesting a few times (feather the clutch and it worked.) Ended up having a temp sensor replaced the one between the jugs. after that problem went away. It was explained to me that the ECU uses engine Temp as part of a fuel calculation. Sounded like BS to me at the time but, when a new one went in presto no problems for over a year now. I know that is what was done as I watched as the work was done.

It was explained to me that the ECU uses engine Temp as part of a fuel calculation. Sounded like BS to me at the time but, when a new one went in presto no problems for over a year now.
Not BS, very true.

As I reread the post I realize that I sound like I had no faith in shop I took it to. Not the case at all, Jim does fantastic work and if I was not moving out of state I would continue to bring my bike to his shop. I am quite curious to know what all the inputs are and how their values translate to duty cycle time on the injectors. (yeah I am geeking a bit) knowing that Temp is used, a signal that is out of bounds or an open could create one heck of problem in relation to the rest of the values. It might just hang if there is a Divide by zero error or other such irrational number resulting a stepper motor not moving. Maybe?

Looking at possibly getting a Cali 1400 so this thread interests me. I had an Aprilia Gen. 1 Caponord that had the exact problem described following a re-map. It did it whether hot, cold, high or low altitude.

Interesting that the 1400 has an Aprilia ECU, so may be related. Its clear that this issue is an software/electronic one, not misadjusted valves, otherwise it would start acting up when hot and continue, not behave intermittently.

It's a software/electrical issue for sure, and probably from bad signals from various sensors that the ECU is trying to compensate for. My Capo high idle was solved by re-mapping again....sometimes, maps don't "take" properly and need to be rewritten.

Back