• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Breather Alternative

That looks like it's way over filled to me.

On that model thing, Before you move to that V9, maybe you better wait and see how this V7 works out. These bikes can drive people nuts.

dealers screw up too. mine gave me the 2016 info for a 2015. WRONG!
it's not rear end oil. that will blow out the top vent of the rear end if even .4 of an once overfull.
I seem to recall a post from Pete Roper I think on the other site saying one bike had the lines to the air box reversed. I think he fixed that one and on the others cut the bottom off a nipple obviously there to be used for a drain and put a hose on it draining into a reservoir of your choice. most likely you are filling the engine oil too full. I use a 2x4 under the kick stand to get it almost level. check it warm and have it 1/2 way to 3/4 above the low line.

Further to my last posts, the oil isn't from the gearbox, it seems to be from the diff. The gearbox breather has a black rubber tube attached, but the diff only has a vent, no pipe. Awaiting reply from the dealer, I'll keep you posted. I've attached pics, dunno if anyone can shed any light?
That looks like it's way over filled to me.

On that model thing, Before you move to that V9, maybe you better wait and see how this V7 works out. These bikes can drive people nuts.

I like the V7, but I think I prefer the looks of the V9 and I definitely prefer the riding position of the V9. I'd forgotten that I'm too old for a sports style riding position. Besides, QB are doing me an excellent trad in deal, so it's tempting.
They've also said that if I drop it in to them while I test ride the V9, they'll drain and refill the oil in the diff box to ensure it's the right amount. Can't say fairer than that.

dealers screw up too. mine gave me the 2016 info for a 2015. WRONG!
it's not rear end oil. that will blow out the top vent of the rear end if even .4 of an once overfull.
I seem to recall a post from Pete Roper I think on the other site saying one bike had the lines to the air box reversed. I think he fixed that one and on the others cut the bottom off a nipple obviously there to be used for a drain and put a hose on it draining into a reservoir of your choice. most likely you are filling the engine oil too full. I use a 2x4 under the kick stand to get it almost level. check it warm and have it 1/2 way to 3/4 above the low line.

"Most likely you are filling the engine oil too full". How do you work that out? Firstly, the method you have discussed is exactly what I'd already said I'm doing, and secondly, the airbox is bone dry, not an ounce of oil in there.

My head hurts reading these posts. This thread is drifting all over the place. How the hell did we get to rear end (Differential/final drive) oil blowing out of the rear end vent. I thought we were talking about the transmission (gear box) possibly being over filled.

I know the owners manual is not clear as to what a gear box or transmission or differential is supposed to be or the terms are all screwed up for some reason because of the bike being Italian/Euro or whatever.

Transmission = gear box, the Italian use of transmission for a rear end or differential is just nuts.
Differential = rear end or final drive
Kick stand = side stand or jiffy stand
center stand = main stand

Did I miss any other points of confusion here?

THE TRANSMISSION OR GEAR BOX Is probably over filled!!!!

Yeah, thanks. There are two vents, one on the gearbox and one on the diff, not the final drive box.
I was just trying to get a little input before i go to the dealer.
Obviously it pi****d you off somewhat.
Chill out.
Yeah, it's overfilled, i think we worked that out. Dunno about you, but i got just a tad annoyed when my new bike spewed oil out. Perhaps some people think that's normal but I don't. Its not my first european bike, in fact i own three right now, so i know that the manuals are worded differently.
Not as different as Americans word the HD manual that i had a few years ago though.
Anyhow, I'll unsubscribe from this thread if it's offended you.

View attachment 10304 Further to my last posts, the oil isn't from the gearbox, it seems to be from the diff. The gearbox breather has a black rubber tube attached, but the diff only has a vent, no pipe. Awaiting reply from the dealer, I'll keep you posted. I've attached pics, dunno if anyone can shed any light?

this pic is the 6 speed transmission. the thing on top center is it's vent and it appears the oil is not coming from there. the rubber nipple sticking out at 9 o'clock appears to be from the air box and the oil might be coming from there. otherwise there is a major leak in the gasket.
document this with several good pictures and then degrease and clean it up completely. then when dry spray the whole area down with aerosol foot powder and ride. the leak will be apparent soon.

I think my bike is having this issue as is yours Elk. Did your solution work now that you are 3 years out from this post?

I have probably half a centimeter of oil sitting in the breather box. The bike has trouble starting, replacing spark plugs fixes this momentarily. The v7 loses randomly through the rpms, and instead of sounding like a uniformed engine sound, it almost sounds like it’s gargling. Today, the bike wouldn’t start after driving it for about 5 minutes and then needing to turn it off for a minute before turning it on again. I had to wait 15 minutes and then it started, blew out a bunch of black smoke from the exhaust and smelled of gas.

This happened once before and cleaning everything as best as possible really helped fix the bike for about 7 months but then it started doing this again now. The last time it happened the plugs were black and nasty.

Apologies if all this above is a stupid question. Just really bad at all this mechanic stuff and really lost, and frustrated. I feel like these bikes are reliable but I think maybe I just got a bad one.. I don’t know.

I’ve attached some images. You can see the oil in the first one. There is oil all over between the heads and oil on the right side hose exiting the head. My exhaust also now turning a different color on the pipes but the right head one is much more blue which I wonder if related.

9IV7Yzo

When I change my oil and oil filter v7II I refill with 1.6lts of 10w60 oil. Not 2ltrs like in the stupid manual.
If you go above this amount of oil you will get oil in the air box until it finds its level.
I ride my bike fairly hard and it's all good I do get a fine mist of oil in air box but that's it.
I did have one time a slight bit of oil coming from gear box breather but I put it down to it being a really hot
Day and the oil must of expanded more than usual.
Anyhow I don't see a need for extended breather pipes but one thing I did was run a clear hose with a plug in the bottom
From left hand side of airbox down the side of the bike so I can see if any oil is going into the air box plus it's acts as a drain
For any excess oil but it's always empty.
Your probably wondering where the hose connects to so if you take left hand side cover off you will see one of those
Clear nipple plug things Lol so you just remove it and run hose from there down the side of the bike and don't forget to put a plug
In the end of that hose of you will be sucking crap from the road up into the airbox.
Also you probably need a new air filter as it's probably blocked from excessive oil.
I got my bike new in 2015 and I've never had a problem with it and have done over 15000ks and most of that has been hard riding.
Ive got a Japanese ltr bike as well but the guzzi gets the most use as I love the old school feel of the V7.
I suppose what I'm saying is don't get disappointed with the bike it really is a great little machine and once set up properly
With proper suspension is a ball to ride in the tight stuff.

I think my bike is having this issue as is yours Elk. Did your solution work now that you are 3 years out from this post?

I have probably half a centimeter of oil sitting in the breather box. The bike has trouble starting, replacing spark plugs fixes this momentarily. The v7 loses randomly through the rpms, and instead of sounding like a uniformed engine sound, it almost sounds like it’s gargling. Today, the bike wouldn’t start after driving it for about 5 minutes and then needing to turn it off for a minute before turning it on again. I had to wait 15 minutes and then it started, blew out a bunch of black smoke from the exhaust and smelled of gas.

This happened once before and cleaning everything as best as possible really helped fix the bike for about 7 months but then it started doing this again now. The last time it happened the plugs were black and nasty.

Apologies if all this above is a stupid question. Just really bad at all this mechanic stuff and really lost, and frustrated. I feel like these bikes are reliable but I think maybe I just got a bad one.. I don’t know.

I’ve attached some images. You can see the oil in the first one. There is oil all over between the heads and oil on the right side hose exiting the head. My exhaust also now turning a different color on the pipes but the right head one is much more blue which I wonder if related.

9IV7Yzo
Have you upgraded the spark plug boots and check the wires. Sound like they are shorting out. Its been covered on here if you take a look.

Have you upgraded the spark plug boots and check the wires. Sound like they are shorting out. Its been covered on here if you take a look.

Not yet, I plan too but waiting until the 10k service.

When I change my oil and oil filter v7II I refill with 1.6lts of 10w60 oil. Not 2ltrs like in the stupid manual.
If you go above this amount of oil you will get oil in the air box until it finds its level.
I ride my bike fairly hard and it's all good I do get a fine mist of oil in air box but that's it.
I did have one time a slight bit of oil coming from gear box breather but I put it down to it being a really hot
Day and the oil must of expanded more than usual.
Anyhow I don't see a need for extended breather pipes but one thing I did was run a clear hose with a plug in the bottom
From left hand side of airbox down the side of the bike so I can see if any oil is going into the air box plus it's acts as a drain
For any excess oil but it's always empty.
Your probably wondering where the hose connects to so if you take left hand side cover off you will see one of those
Clear nipple plug things Lol so you just remove it and run hose from there down the side of the bike and don't forget to put a plug
In the end of that hose of you will be sucking crap from the road up into the airbox.
Also you probably need a new air filter as it's probably blocked from excessive oil.
I got my bike new in 2015 and I've never had a problem with it and have done over 15000ks and most of that has been hard riding.
Ive got a Japanese ltr bike as well but the guzzi gets the most use as I love the old school feel of the V7.
I suppose what I'm saying is don't get disappointed with the bike it really is a great little machine and once set up properly
With proper suspension is a ball to ride in the tight stuff.

Okay thank you. I don’t think the oil fill level is the problem as it’s been done down to the bottom level. Yesterday was a very hot day, but I don’t think it’d do so much oil as it still didn’t hit over 80. It was a 200 mile ride day though with 150 of that being highway at traffic speed (80 mph).

I would love to see a picture of the hose you are talking about if you have one. No rush. Thank you!

Not yet, I plan too but waiting until the 10k service.

Okay thank you. I don’t think the oil fill level is the problem as it’s been done down to the bottom level. Yesterday was a very hot day, but I don’t think it’d do so much oil as it still didn’t hit over 80. It was a 200 mile ride day though with 150 of that being highway at traffic speed (80 mph).

I would love to see a picture of the hose you are talking about if you have one. No rush. Thank you!
I wouldn't ride it until you fix it, your mufflers are going to be junk if they are not already.

I wouldn't ride it until you fix it, your mufflers are going to be junk if they are not already.

Yeah after yesterday, I don't plan on riding it, I was originally waiting until the 10K service to do the caps and plug swap as I had always wanted to do that before the problem arose. I just heard it was good to do and so I wanted to get that going. I'm just lost on what to do next because I'm just not mechanically inclined and am not good at understanding concepts by vague photos and descriptions online. So I end up having to resort to paying a mechanic which gets costly.

I thought the oil issue was sorted out a while back - thought I made the mistake of topping it off to high since I have to add oil to the bike every 500miles or so otherwise the oil pressure light comes on at acceleration from being stopped, and the bike rides really hard. So I've been watching it like a hawk this past year and it's been up until these last two rides. The first ride it just sounded a little off and I noticed it started to sputter / not sound consistent when on the highway. I thought it might be bad gas because that was it, worked fine after then on another ride. Then yesterday that was it.

That's what's getting frustrating with the bike though, over the last year and a half it's become a "will it start properly feeling every time I go to it" and "will it be normal when I ride it." The bike isn't really fun anymore because I'm just worried about it, and I'm just shooting in the dark with repairs that are expensive - every time I think I can do something to the bike, something else creeps up, battery, fuel filter, oil in air box, oil pressure light, check engine light. Can't help but wonder if I'm just one of those unlucky ones that we see from time to time on here.

Last edited:
That's what's getting frustrating with the bike though, over the last year and a half it's become a "will it start properly feeling every time I go to it" and "will it be normal when I ride it."
Don’t kill yourself here... you have easy access to me, and you’re on my Forum here, not Facebook. ;)
Self induced issues can be problematic for newer riders sometimes, but always best to start with a solid baseline. Guzzis are like the weather most of the time.
Let me go through it for you and get it squared away again for you. If nothing deep, cost will be minimal.

Don’t kill yourself here... you have easy access to me, and you’re on my Forum here, not Facebook. ;)
Self induced issues can be problematic for newer riders sometimes, but always best to start with a solid baseline. Guzzis are like the weather most of the time.
Let me go through it for you and get it squared away again for you. If nothing deep, cost will be minimal.

Okay that’s good to know. I appreciate it. Honestly I just don’t want to bother you too much, always feel like a pill being so mechanically illiterate. I’ll shoot you an email to get things started! Thanks!

Back