• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

98 cali 1100 FI regulator replacement

GuzziLVR

Just got it firing!
The regulator on my 98 California 1100 fuel injected burnt up (melted wiring from a case of lost insulation on the charging wires coming in contact with the frame.
I ordered a replacement regulator and while waiting for the part, downloaded a color coded wiring diagram.
Since this is a Ducati charging system I ordered the Guzzi part number for the Ducati regulator.
My problem is that looking at the wiring schematic and the regulator wire colors, every thing is just fine until I get to the Green wire. The paperwork states that the green is for Earth or ground, but the Guzzi wiring diagram states or shows it going to either the headlight relay, or rear stop light switch/ horn and turn signal switch.

Since I have a regulator that was replaced previous to my purchase of the bike, I have no clue where the burnt connectors went into the wiring harness.

Any help before I burn the bike down hooking it up to the wrong item? :eek: :eek:
Bill

GuzziLVR

Re: 98 cali 1100 FI regulator replacemen

Since you are in the US, I presume your bike has the P8 ECU. In which case the schematic for the 1996 1100i on this page should be correct. https://www.guzzitech.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html

I also looked at the 1998 schematic. Neither schematic shows a green wire from the regulator/rectifier. Where did you get the unit you are trying to connect? Also in both schematics, the regulator/rectifier grounds via its mount to the chassis.

Thank you John.
I am including the item description from Euroelectrics. Their site is easily accessed and they have pictures to explain the wiring of the regulator. I couldn't get pictures on here, newbee right? Hope this helps.

Bill

Home > Charging >

EnDuraLast Electronic Voltage Regulator / Rectifier Combination for DUCATI ENERGIA Charging System

Alternative Views:

Part #: EDLGUZ-VoltRect

Description Technical Specs

Replacement Combination Electronic Voltage Reg & Rectifier. High performance replacement for Moto Guzzi, Ducati,1993-on. Increased cooling capacity with cooling fins on both sides of aluminum housing. Mounts remotely for high reliability and performance. Not Compatible with lithium iron batteries as supplied by Shorai

Vehicle Manufacturer: Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Laverda, Cagiva Elefant

Application: Moto Guzzi 1993-09, Ducati, WITH DUCATI ENERGIA SYSTEM (will NOT work w/ Saprisa Charging System)

Make/Model: Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Laverda, Cagiva Elefant : ALL - 1993-on

Model Years: 1993 to 2009

Vehicle Mfg. Part #: Moto Guzzi # 37703805

Power Rating: Replacement for Moto Guzzi, Ducati w/Ducati Energia Charging System

Brand: EnDuraLast Brand

Technical Information: Not Compatible with lithium iron batteries as supplied by Shorai. This is an aftermarket "universal type" version of the part # EDL450-VoltRect, manufactured for Euro MotoElectrics. Sophisticated electronics housed in finned cast-aluminum housing. Features highly advanced metal ceramic heat transfer construction providing ample cooling. Designed for direct connection to the battery, to by-pass potential vehicle wiring harness issues. Includes charge warning lamp circuit and voltage sensing input from ignition switch. Comes complete with all wiring harnesses, connectors and installation.
Will work only 2-wire stator output Ducati Energia charging systems .
Voltage setting 14.2 V / 350 watts.
Technical Information: Not Compatible with lithium iron batteries as supplied by Shorai. This is an aftermarket "universal type" version of the part # EDL450-VoltRect, manufactured for Euro MotoElectrics. Sophisticated electronics housed in finned cast-aluminum housing. Features highly advanced metal ceramic heat transfer construction providing ample cooling. Designed for direct connection to the battery, to by-pass potential vehicle wiring harness issues. Includes charge warning lamp circuit and voltage sensing input from ignition switch. Comes complete with all wiring harnesses, connectors and installation. Will work only 2-wire stator output Ducati Energia charging systems . Voltage setting 14.2 V / 350 watts. This is an aftermarket "universal type" version of the part # EDL450-VoltRectMay require splicing of wires and connector plug and re-configuring or or fabrication of mounting plate to adapt to your vehicle frame. For Original Equipment replacement part manufactured by Ducati Energia - please refer to EDL450-VoltRect

I went to the Euro Motoelectrics site. Looks like you bypass the bikes harness completely except for the connection to the idiot light. The red wire with fuse connects to Battery positive. Connect the green to the engine for a good ground. I'd use a good connection to one of the timing cover Allen screws. The white is to the idiot light connection and the two yellow to the stator connections. By bypassing the harness you should get little voltage loss.

Will do, and what a site!!

Thanks John

Sorry, I see this as a super old post, but I’m also there with similar questions. I had my original rectifier melt down, and bought a new one. My old one has a free ground, the new one doesn’t. Does my new one just rely on the mounting for ground? Any leads on how to proceed? (1999 Moto Guzzi V11 Bassa) The new one is to the left in the picture.
Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 6F07D739-6883-4C4D-B32F-393EF972F322.jpeg
    6F07D739-6883-4C4D-B32F-393EF972F322.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 14
Sorry, I see this as a super old post, but I’m also there with similar questions. I had my original rectifier melt down, and bought a new one. My old one has a free ground, the new one doesn’t. Does my new one just rely on the mounting for ground? Any leads on how to proceed? (1999 Moto Guzzi V11 Bassa) The new one is to the left in the picture.
Thanks!!!

Just add a ground wire from the engine case (one of the screws to the timing cover) to the mounting bolt for the regulator and you should be fine.

Do you think I should I wire in another fuse on the power (double red) lead? The original looked like it melted without popping the fuse. Ha!

Do you think I should I wire in another fuse on the power (double red) lead? The original looked like it melted without popping the fuse. Ha!

It probably got hot due to a dirty connection. Just clean everything up and you should be fine.

And the mystery continues. I replaced my rectifier, and I’m still getting a power draw from it. Would the alternator be the next step?

And the mystery continues. I replaced my rectifier, and I’m still getting a power draw from it. Would the alternator be the next step?

Disconnect the alternator. If you don't have the power draw, there is your answer. How much amperage are you reading for a power drain?

This is getting really weird. I tried 4ways:
ECU and rectifier plugged in.
ECU only.
Rectifier only.
Rectifier only, alternator unplugged.

I get higher reads when I switch the black to red wire feed on my meter via versa? I am reading in line with the negative from the bike, and to the negative post on the battery. Electrical is not my friend.

Attachments

• 7694691A-227D-46BB-9E2A-7FDC12304AE0.jpeg
    7694691A-227D-46BB-9E2A-7FDC12304AE0.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 6
  • 02148058-249E-40E7-AB21-ED5E33A370CD.jpeg
    02148058-249E-40E7-AB21-ED5E33A370CD.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 6
  • EC9A436F-4DE0-4BC3-BCE1-845DB91EABC4.jpeg
    EC9A436F-4DE0-4BC3-BCE1-845DB91EABC4.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 4
  • D8AD9511-988F-4E75-92C6-A80C735BBE55.jpeg
    D8AD9511-988F-4E75-92C6-A80C735BBE55.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This is getting really weird. I tried 4ways:
ECU and rectifier plugged in.
ECU only.
Rectifier only.
Rectifier only, alternator unplugged.

I get higher reads when I switch the black to red wire feed on my meter? In reading in line with the negative from the bike, and to the battery. Electrical is not my friend.

Attachments

• 2307F856-85D0-4C61-8B64-5902EC530AD6.jpeg
    2307F856-85D0-4C61-8B64-5902EC530AD6.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
Looking at your meter, you have the test leads in the "com" and "input", but you have the dial set to "A". I believe those sockets are for Volts and ohms, in fact everything except Amps, you need to move the Red lead over to the socket marked "A" (for amps).
Be careful with the setting on A as its puts a very low impedance across the circuit unlike the voltage range, so don't put it across the battery or you will blow a fuse or damage the meter.
good luck, Kevin

Looking at your meter, you have the test leads in the "com" and "input", but you have the dial set to "A". I believe those sockets are for Volts and ohms, in fact everything except Amps, you need to move the Red lead over to the socket marked "A" (for amps).
Be careful with the setting on A as its puts a very low impedance across the circuit unlike the voltage range, so don't put it across the battery or you will blow a fuse or damage the meter.
good luck, Kevin
Thank you, I’ll give it a try today. I looked for a good instructional resource for this particular meter, and couldn’t find a clear one.

Back