• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Do I have a problem?

Gappy

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am finally putting the bike on the road. I have taken the carburators apart cleaned and replaced the gaskets and o rings. NOTE: I did not replace the rubber diaphragm, There was not one in my kit only the rubber gasket that goes under it. Also note that in the diagrams I have seen of my carburators, there is a spring that goes between the diaphragm housing cap and the diaphragm itself which mine did not have or is missing? I put them back together as I found them. I have put new plugs in, set the valves and syniced the carbs.

The bike starts and idles nicely. ( this is my first experience with one of these bike and I don’t know how they are supposed to behave ). The bike spins or should I say thumps up to 3500 - 4200 rpm rather slowly imo, where in 1,2,3 and 4th gears, it runs surprisingly smooth! I am delighted, now I shift to 5th gear and rpms drop and it immediately begins to thump and pound so hard trying to climb back up to the 35-42 hundred rpm range. When achieved it does not run smooth like the other 4 gears. Is this normal ? I can’t go anywhere with it running like this! Could this situation have anything to do with the diaphragm fuel pump and possible missing springs? I have put 100 miles on it hoping things would straighten out, but it just keeps thumping and pounding away in 5th gear and shaking me to pieces , so disappointing. Riding in 4th gear at 59 mph across the country is not going to work. I need your help guys.

The springs are available from MG Cycle: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=3090

If it was Herdan Corp. you were referring to, they are still in business, but the website has been changed.
https://herdan.com/

Thanks Charlie, I seem to have lost the bookmark Herdan Corp. and a web search came up empty for them. BTW, I did find theses guys in California, but I'm not sure if they do motorcycle carbs. http://usacarbs.com/

Thanks guys, I used the link to mgcycles and they had the springs and fuel accelerator pumps in stock and I ordered them. Once installed we will see if that will cure my problem. I stumbled across a company that deals with Dellorto carbs and sells all the parts to them but mainly for Ducati, some models use the same carb as Guzzi, Bevel Heaven Products out of California.

Again I'm going to say that you are shifting to 5th too soon. If you are trying to get up to 35-42 hundred rpm range. That is what your rpm should drop to after making the shift. Guzzi engines like to rev. Don't ride it like a low rpm Harley engine.

John has a good point.
If I were to ride my '01 Jackal (FI) across the country at 59 MPH, I would do most of it in 4th gear. These bikes are geared for European speed limits, and the speedo is normally about 10+% optimistic. If you find smooth running at about 75 MPH (indicated) in 5th (check your speedo against a GPS), we are on the same page. Personally I love that tall gearing. If your fueling (carburation) is not correct, vibration will be more prevalent.

Just here to agree with John & Nordicnorm.
Worst abuse of a Guzzi is lugging the engine.
Even my Victory likes higher RPM's. If running along at 60/65 I'm in 4th running around 3200 rpm.

My old Mille GT still loves to hum along at 5000 rpm / 80 mph.
Keep her above 4500 & she will love you for a long time.

Back