• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio Fork Bleed?

rmance

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
So, I took my forks into a local shop to have new fork seals put in. Yep, probably should have done it myself but have never done it before and I have plenty of other things going on getting the Stelvio prepped for Overland Expo. He's had the forks for a few weeks now and I did call several times to see if they were done. He told me they are both done but he couldn't get one side to bleed ... no matter what he does. He finally gave up and had a friend also in the business to check on it. He as well couldn't get that one fork to bleed. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone experienced this before and found a solution?

2) is it dangerous to ride like that until I get back from Overland Expo?

Thank you!

By bleeding, I am assuming they are talking about filling the dampers. Have never heard of bleeding the forks on the Stelvio, or frankly any street bike I have ever owned. THere is no bleed screw on the cap. Not a dirt bike???

My guess is the damper screw is closed and sealing off the port. Do they understand that one is set up for compression and one for rebound. They will "bleed" differently. One pretty much self fills and the other needs to be pumped to fill (think the compression fills on its own but don't remember)

They need to make sure the adjuster screws are completely open and then pump the dampers up and down with the cap off to get all the air out. If they are just opening the screw with the caps on and thinking it will "bleed" like a dirt bike then get your forks back and find another shop.

Just my 2 cents

Correct, hence removing the air. Otherwise you will never get the correct amount of oil in.

OK. Confused me when they said bleeding the forks, which is what you can do on other fork styles with a bleed screw. Hopefully they get it sorted out. My guess is they are trying to bleed it with the cap on and opening the adjuster.

Well, picked them up last night. He told me to pump them individually (off the bike) to feel the difference. Honestly it didn't feel any different to me! He did mention one is for compression and one is for rebound. Just to make myself feel better I am going to pull the caps off tonight. Not sure what I'll be looking for but I think I can figure it out. On the plus side ... they're not leaking anymore YAY!

Well, picked them up last night. He told me to pump them individually (off the bike) to feel the difference. Honestly it didn't feel any different to me! He did mention one is for compression and one is for rebound. Just to make myself feel better I am going to pull the caps off tonight. Not sure what I'll be looking for but I think I can figure it out. On the plus side ... they're not leaking anymore YAY!

They should feel a little different so not sure why they are seeing that as strange. One is compression heavy and one is rebound heavy. When they are both on the bike they work together for one complete system. One a little harder to push, one a little slower to return. If you have both adjusters fully open they may feel somewhat similar. Sounds like that is the case.

Only real thing to check is if they put in the correct amount of fluid. If they filled it by volume then it will be fine. If they filled it by level and did not get the dampers to fill properly you may be a little low. Only way to verify that is to remove the cap entirely (ie from the damper) and pump the dampers up and down with the adjuster fully open. Then check the level. You can leave the spring in. They should be equal. If not, add more fluid to the lower one to be safe. Best way would be to remove the spring also and fill to the proper level by height.

This is why I prefer to do my own work. I generally have a lack of trust when it comes to things like this, and usually for good reason in my experience.

Back