• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

C14 - Secondary Air Supply Pump - SAS

PaulDavies

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
As many of you know Guzzi has been fitting recent 1400s (like my 2016 Audace) with a secondary air supply pump to help it meet Euro 4 emissions. My understanding is that this injects oxygen into the exhaust to help burn unburnt fuel when you back off the throttle making it run ultra lean. There's a picture of the pump here on the lower left side of the bike. If you grovel around you will see it connects to two rubber hoses that eventually connect to metal pipes that enter each cylinder head just to the inside of the exhaust pipe.

Having previously fitted Todd's PCV/AT300 I noticed during a recent visit to the site that he had added a comment that the hoses should be pulled and the metal pipes plugged. This topic has been discussed at length on the V7/V9 forum and Todd even has a kit to fix it (https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gtm-secondary-air-supply-sas-block-off-kit.18018/) but I was unaware of this fix for the 1400 so I thought I would give it a try and report my findings.

All I can say is what a transformation for something that is practically free, OK - about $1 for a couple of silicone based caps to fit over the 3/8" inch (1cm) metal pipes.

Idle is now much more rhythmic and stable, no sense of the throttle hunting slightly at a standstill and rocking the bike in the process, it fees more stable at the lights for example.

Throttle response is massively improved in the lower revs ranges. Twist and there's instant response from 1500 rpm onwards - any gear. No sense of a small hiccup or delay while the fuelling has a "think". Just smooth, predictable, linear response to throttle input.

Just as impressive is what happens when you back off slightly, there's no sudden deceleration like you've backed off fully or hit the brakes, just a nice smooth gentle deceleration (like you get in a car for instance) and gives me the confidence to lean the bike over in a sweeper and just make small changes to trajectory based on throttle inputs.

The transition from on/off/on with the throttle is also more predictable. I can coast down to a left or right turn/junction with the throttle closed, turn in and then apply the throttle and get a smooth predictable response that sends me where I want to go. Both of the above would previously have caused small lurches that would upset the suspension and steering geometry.

As a result of the improved throttle response, gear changes are now noticeably smoother due to the revs not dying so quickly when you pull in the clutch and back off the throttle.

The engine also sounds much smoother and more mellow, more like a growl and less rattly (see below) - Note I still have the original exhaust. Any residual pops and farts from the exhaust have completely disappeared. I didn't hear a single one today. The original factory set up ran so lean I had them everywhere. Fitting the PCV/AT300 made a huge difference, but I still used to get them, just less often and a lot quieter, but now I don't have them at all.

I've posted previously about a strange rattle from the engine at around 2500 rpm (https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/strange-rattle-from-the-beast.17431/). This appears to have completely gone !! I knew I was onto something with this when I pulled the hose off the metal pipe on one cylinder and started then engine (just to see which way air was flowing). The noise coming from the exposed metal pipe was a loud "clack" which sounded just like the rattle I had before. I can only think that plugging the end caps and effectively separating the two cylinders has stopped any interaction between them.

Now my Audace has become two bikes. It's a cruiser when I'm feeling lazy and want to take in the view and a sports bike when I want to carve it up.

Any downsides - well I think there's more exhaust fumes coming out of the bike when I start it up in the Garage. If there's any changes to MPG it's not noticeable and to be honest I don't care as it's the best improvement I've made to my bike - Donation to the site coming your way Todd for this great fix.

SAS 1400

Last edited:
Excellent Paul, thanks for posting. Careful on those rubber caps, they’ll hole, disintegrate or pop off if the bike sneezes at all.

How long does it take to do the job?
Almost no time at all. There's a small finger compressible clip that holds each rubber hose onto its corresponding metal pipe. Squeeze the clip and wriggle the rubber hose down off the end of the pipe. Squeeze a silicon cap onto each of the bare pipes and just to hold in place, I pushed the rubber hoses back onto the pipe (over the top of the silicon cap) and secured it with the clips.

If there's an issue, simply reverse the process - nothing permanent and no cutting involved. I got the caps from "Lordco" supplies here in Vancouver. They seem quite substantial especially given that the air pressure didn't seem that high when I put a finger over the pipe. I gave the throttle some stick before reattaching the rubber just to make sure the caps wouldn't blow off or blow through (as Todd warns above) and they stayed put. Putting the rubber back over the top was for added security and cosmetics.

I realise that the pump cannot blow air through any more, but it didn't seem to be a problem. The good thing is the pipe itself does not get hot - after a 2 hour ride, I got straight off and put my finger on the pipe and I could leave it there, so no problem with anything melting

Last edited:
Almost no time at all. There's a small finger compressible clip that holds each rubber hose onto its corresponding metal pipe. Squeeze the clip and wriggle the rubber hose down off the end of the pipe. Squeeze a silicon cap onto each of the bare pipes and just to hold in place, I pushed the rubber hoses back onto the pipe (over the top of the silicon cap) and secured it with the clips.

If there's a issue, simple reverse the process - nothing permanent and no cutting involved. I got the caps from "Lordco" supplies here in Vancouver. They seem quite substantial especially that the air pressure didn't seem that high when I put a finger over the pipe. I gave the throttle some stick before reattaching the rubber just to make sure the caps wouldn't blow off or blow through (as Todd warns above) and they stayed put. Putting the rubber back over the top was for added security and cosmetics. I realise that the pump cannot blow air through any more, but it didn't seem to be a problem. The good thing is the pipe itself does not get hot - after a 2 hour ride, I got straight off and put my finger on the pipe and I could leave it there, so no problem with anything melting
thank you Paul.

To be clear, with a stock 1400 bike, is it advisable to remove the pump and cap things off, or is this something you guys are solely doing to compliment the new fuel mapping/mods?

Last edited:
To be clear, with a stock 1400 bike, is it advisable to remove the pump and cap things off, or is this something you guys are solely doing to compliment the new fuel mapping/mods?

Well I did it because of Todds advice w.r.t to the Power Commander and Autotune. I'm guessing capping the pipes would reduce the popping on the overrun. If you remove the pump I believe you will get a Yellow "check engine" Light

Just looking at doing this on a touring model. The engine guards/crash bars are preventing me from getting a good look at the connection point between the steel tubes and the hoses. Was anyone able to do this without removing the engine guards?

Part of the SAS removal kit is a ( guessing - resistor) that you plug in that keeps the ÉCU happy after the pump has been removed.
Anxiously awaiting my bundle of parts to arrive :clap:

Managed to do this mod without removing the engine guards. Not real easy to get to, but doable, obviously. I bought a couple of caps online from a place called HPS Performance Products. Item # is RSCC-038 size 3/8"/9.5mm(pic below). Probably overkill, and cost way too much at $12 each. Slipped them on the tubes with no clamps holding them on. It's a pretty tight fit. I ran it pretty hard for 15-20 minutes and they didn't move. Echo all the original poster's comments about the improvement. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the hoses. Would be nice to be able to just remove the pump and all the hoses without a check engine light.

Upload 2020 7 27 12 24 47

Last edited:
I bought a couple of caps online from a place called HPS Performance Products. Item # is RSCC-038 size 3/8"/9.5mm(pic below). Probably overkill, and cost way too much at $12 each. Slipped them on the tubes with no clamps holding them on. It's a pretty tight fit. I ran it pretty hard for 15-20 minutes and they didn't move.
Careful, as they won't until the motor is hot and the motor sneezes, then they'll cough off and leave you wide open when you least expect it. Just FYI.

I'll try to get a hose clamp around them. Very tight quarters in there behind the engine guards.

Is this mod relevant to the 2018 Eldorado models ? If only to improve the gear shifting , a m/c mechanic
for over 40 years and a Guzzi rider for at least 36 years and I shift like a newbie on this Eldorado :( . Peter

Managed to do this mod without removing the engine guards. Not real easy to get to, but doable, obviously. I bought a couple of caps online from a place called HPS Performance Products. Item # is RSCC-038 size 3/8"/9.5mm(pic below). Probably overkill, and cost way too much at $12 each. Slipped them on the tubes with no clamps holding them on. It's a pretty tight fit. I ran it pretty hard for 15-20 minutes and they didn't move. Echo all the original poster's comments about the improvement. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the hoses. Would be nice to be able to just remove the pump and all the hoses without a check engine light.

View attachment 20142
Replying to myself... 3000 miles later, the HPS caps are still in place, doing the job. Bought two spares just in case, haven’t needed them.

One wonders how much it actually contributes to cleaning up the exhaust vs how much it’s actually diluting the air to fool emissions testers. It only adds air at idle or de-acceleration. Maybe I’m over thinking it. I would like to get rid of the popping and extra hardware, though.

One wonders how much it actually contributes to cleaning up the exhaust vs how much it’s actually diluting the air to fool emissions testers. It only adds air at idle or de-acceleration. Maybe I’m over thinking it. I would like to get rid of the popping and extra hardware, though.
It’s the latter. It’s not a smart system, it just steadily pumps air into the exhaust port.

Is this where you’re placing the cap?

Attachments

• 44B97B7B-853E-41E5-9AFC-A71E42A1E4DF.jpeg
    44B97B7B-853E-41E5-9AFC-A71E42A1E4DF.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 103
Back