• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85 TT Info

Can't speak for Canada, but word is that the bikes are staged to ship to dealers to have ready to sell at the completion of the (cryptic) U.S. Demo Tour below. Not sure why the wait. Seems smarter to have them on the floor to sell during the demo... silly me.

View attachment 17106

I'm real bummed I had to miss the tour. What a shame it's taking so long to test ride one of these.

I hope some of the EU riders out there that own the bike will put some knobbies on and do a dirt review too.

I would rather hope that some real owners of this bike start commenting on it...Looks like bike might be in production but not at dealers yet.

Hopefully the state side people get them soon. It sounds like the euro people are enjoying the bike but the reviews and thoughts have been pretty scarce at the moment. Would love to see just an "average joe" talk about the bike instead of some polished youtuber kind of thing.

Going to dealer demo tomorrow in NH. Hoping to test ride.

Make sure you share your impressions of the bike. Not just ride, comfort, etc., but how the engine and trany sound (my 2012 Stelvio had a set of iritating whines, different for each gear), does everything get hot, engine, cylinder covers, final drive.

Make sure you share your impressions of the bike. Not just ride, comfort, etc., but how the engine and trany sound (my 2012 Stelvio had a set of iritating whines, different for each gear), does everything get hot, engine, cylinder covers, final drive.

Agreed. Would love to know if the engine gets hot. My v7 - never hot on your legs. Rode a california and it was a scorcher.

Also would love to know anything you can tell about the dash and the infotainment setup. Saw someone running what looked like night mode, wonder if that's an option.

It has automatic nightmode. The display gets automatically darker in the night or when in tunnels etc.

It has automatic nightmode. The display gets automatically darker in the night or when in tunnels etc.

I saw someone driving it in nightmode in the day time, I'm curious if it can be switched because I think the day mode is pretty ugly, at least from pictures and videos.

I have downloaded the manual for this bike to learn about the specs and maintenance. Front suspension has 168 mm travel, which is so so, the rear has 102 mm travel which would be barely enough for a street bike, but definitely not enough for an enduro. Not quite sure how it will ride off road.
Oil, oil filter and air filter are to be replaced every 10k kms, so is the valves adjustment, luckily an easy job. Engine oil is 10W60 (hard to find) and trany oil 75W140 which tells me that things will be running pretty hot.

I have downloaded the manual for this bike to learn about the specs and maintenance. Front suspension has 168 mm travel, which is so so, the rear has 102 mm travel which would be barely enough for a street bike, but definitely not enough for an enduro. Not quite sure how it will ride off road.
Oil, oil filter and air filter are to be replaced every 10k kms, so is the valves adjustment, luckily an easy job. Engine oil is 10W60 (hard to find) and trany oil 75W140 which tells me that things will be running pretty hot.

It’s 6.7” of travel for both front and rear. That too me has always been a sad stat for the bike. If I end up getting it I’ll try to get a higher and more heavy duty suspension as one of the first mods.

From everything I’ve read this bike seems like it was built more as a 90/10 (city/off-road) bike. This would put the bike closer to a VSTROM which has a 5.9” on the 650 and 6.3” on the 1000

I just wish I understood why they call it retro enduro. Not sure how it applies in this case.

Oil is like the v7 and most KTM stores sell some form if you are in a pinch and can’t get from Guzzitech or the Guzzi store and you can run 10-50 if you got stranded and needed to get home.

Last edited:

Shock travel is 102mm but mounting angle frame/swingarm makes wheel travel 170mm

-KG-

Disclaimer: I'm a new rider. All I've got for riding experience is 2200 miles on my V7III-R and maybe 50 miles on a 2000 SV650. I'm not a motorcycle reviewer and my intent on riding this bike was just to satisfy my own curiosity as there has been (and will be) a lot of hype about this bike. It was also a nice day and the dealer happens to be 1/2 way to my weekend destination so makes a nice stop. I'm in no way in the market for a new bike and, if I was, I probably wouldn't choose a "retro-enduro" or "ADV" bike (Guzzi or not) as it doesn't suit my riding needs/style. I'm going to give some impressions on things that stood out to ME. If I were test riding with the intent to purchase, I would have spent more time with the dashboard and fussing about what can/can't be adjusted.

I took a guided demo ride of the multi-color V85-TT. My first impression was: damn it is TALL! I was told the seat was set in the lowest of 3 positions. I'm 5'-5" and fairly fit and agile. I have my V7 set so I can just barely flat foot both feet. I was just as comfortable when it was higher. The SV650 is my GF's and is lowered. This V85, I actually had a hard time just swinging my right leg over the rear seat and I'm pretty agile with good hips! Once seated I could only tip-toe it on one side. This made me kinda nervous about taking this demo ride but figured I'd come this far, I'll tough it out. It helps that the bike is LIGHT and easy to get upright.

The controls take some getting used to. The kill switch is push-on/push-off and, if I remember correctly, it's not labeled in any way. It was definitely a good thing my guide showed me this because it saved me some embarrassment in not knowing how to start or stop the engine.

I had my 3/4 helmet and no ear plugs. The starting/idling engine sound was not surprising in any way. Nothing stood out. Also, my guide was already under way so I felt like I should just get going so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the idle. It probably sounds a lot like my V7 with stock exhaust. I did twist the throttle a couple times at idle and noticed MUCH LESS rocking than my V7. Like hardly any! Here's my first clue that this bike is a totally different experience (more refined) than what I'm used to on my V7.

The clutch takeup on this bike was wonky. Tons of lever travel but no engagement until the last few millimeters. This may be an adjustment issue, or maybe it's a "quirk"? I didn't ask. But it made my 180 turn to get out of the parking space pretty ugly. Something to get used to or adjusted.

The ride was awesome. Every aspect can be summed up as more refined, more smooth"er" than my V7. The engine & drivetrain is quieter, the suspension soaks up the little things that I avoid on the V7, the throttle response is fantastically smooth. The seat is comfy and big. I moved around a lot to try different positions. This bike was just so comfortable and fun, it was a real pleasure.

The turn signal switch is goofy. I had such a hard time actuating it and cancelling it, that I just gave up and let my guide throw the signals. There was no traffic so no-one was looking at my signals anyway. I think the problem is there is little/no feedback or click when its actuated. I had to keep looking at the screen to see if the signals were on or not. The other bike's I've ridden can be ridden without looking at anything. You can feel when the switch clicks the blinker on/off.

Stopping was kinda ugly. I use a lot of rear brake after having an issue with my V7 when I used the front to stop with the bars turned and because I dislike nose dive. I'm saying I use both brakes but I only apply a lot of front pressure (combined with rear) when I need to stop quick and/or going downhill. For most stops on flat road, I typically use the engine braking and front brake to scrub off most of the speed, and finish a stop with the rear brake once I'm coasting under ~15MPH. The rear brake on this V85 was super spongy and weak. Again, maybe another adjustment thing? The front brake was powerful but my past experience combined with my height issue, I lacked confidence at every stop.

I was surprised I felt engine heat on my right leg even while cruising. I never feel engine heat from my V7 except when stopped.

The dashboard? I paid little attention. There was so much to look at and so little time, I decided to focus more on getting this bike, and myself, back to the store safely and just enjoying the ride. I had to look at the tach to confirm I was in a suitable rev range because the engine is so much quieter and smoother than my V7. It either didn't care what gear I was in or I just got lucky. The thing just didn't care. No lugging or drama.

The turn indicators on the dash just blend in with everything else. Are they on? Did they cancel? Eyes on the road or hunting around on a screen? Again, maybe something one gets used to. I just decided too much hassle for this ride.

Handling: bike went everywhere I pointed it. Super comfy and easy. Inspired confidence despite this being a totally different machine and riding posture than what I'm used to. Its much easier to tip the V85 back and forth than my V7. I suppose this makes it more agile. Feels very light!

Despite all the aero, faring, and windshield, it seemed like just as much wind in my 3/4 exposed face as my V7 with the stock MAS fly screen. That was pretty surprising.

So, yes, I very much liked this bike for the 20-ish minutes I rode it. It was fun and comfy. I'm not trading in my V7 because I appreciate the rawness. The vibration, the noise, the rocking at stop lights, the aggressive riding posture. I don't tour. My daily commute is 30-ish minutes. Weekend rides we stop at least once an hour. My car is super comfy, predictable, subdued, and posh. I want my bike to be opposite.

I spoke with the rep after the ride. Great guy. I asked how the market response was to the V85. He said Europe is sold out for the year or close to it. Many US dealers, but not all, are also already sold out for the year. Some dealers have "a couple" left. My dealer sold a "a couple" during this demo weekend. Other words, it's doing very well in it's debut year.

As a fellow short guy I appreciate the review! The more miles you get on your Racer, the more you'll enjoy it. It only gets better.

Just a quick report. I rode the tt today having turned up at the dealership just to get my service book for the 1200 sport stamped.
First impression, what a lovely bike. Smooth, concise, refined. I just got on it turned the key pressed the button and rode it. No instruction needed. The switchgear fell intuitively to hand, no fuss no bother. Indicators push right pull left press to cancel. Every switch pretty much where you'd expect to find it except the kill switch it was just above the starter! Easy to spot though.
Saddle really comfortable for my short ride I'm booking a proper two hour ride shortly to delve further into the machine. Handling light and neutral, suspension plush with no high or low speed damping problems that I was aware of. Steering was an eye opener very responsive an absolute delight.
Engine had 118 miles on it so felt a little tight so I can't really report on throttle response or power delivery this time.
Cruise control was great really easy to use.
The guzzi mob have thought this one through.
I'm seriously interested in buying one, that's my feelings and opinion after a 30 minute ride. I'll report in more detail after a proper go.
Peter.

I might as well comment a little about my observations from the test-ride I did just before eagerly signing the order confirmation for a “Giallo Sahara” V85 TT :)

Now having close to 20000 km in my V9 Bobber I can compare them.
Seems the prior poster and I have some different experiences in some areas. I’m 178 cm tall and have a perfect position on the V85, bar reach and width is good, easy to put feet’s down as the bike is very narrow, great comfort seat. Perfect ergonomics all together.
Controls are okey, works. Clocks are very nice, informative and looks beautiful.

Engine sound is muted and “non-exciting” (I plan to go with a mistral slip-on, as I’m very happy with the brand on the Bobber), clutch very, very light and engagement are distinct and predictable, take off is smooth and non or tiny amount of noise from gearbox and final drive (Personally I didn’t notice any difference from newer Asian brand’s bikes). Perfect fuelling for me smooth, progressive acceleration.

Good work done on vibrations, minor “ticking” through handlebars and foot pegs slightly increasing with RPM, at 140 km/ hr I found the vibrations to be acceptable for cruising, I’m very sensitive so lots of people will for sure not even notice them.

Road manners were very intuitive and great no matter if being on highway or going through twisty roads, I also found the breaks being well enough strong for me, easy to modulate too.

80hp is just fine, I would even have been happy with 70+, very usable RPM range, good torque.

Only praises.. hmm.. I do find the whole package balanced and with shaft drive, cruise control and a large tank I look forward to the delivery.. I believe I have to wait long though even though I signed the papers at end of April I do not expect to get my bike until July or later really.

To be honest the only thing I sometimes think about are the titanium valves and how they will hold up over time, I guess this engine will run a fair bit hotter then the V9 engines. But I know nothing about engine internals so I’ll just hold fingers crossed for the engines long term reliability :)

Greetings!
Daniel

Thanks guys for helpful reviews. Others, keep adding to it please. I am not in market for one this year, but next year it might be different story...
My biggest problem, living in Moncton, NB, is that there are no MG dealers in whole Atlantic Canada. My nearest dealer is in Quebec City, some 800 kms from my place. Maybe later in summer I take a road trip there, just to get a test ride.

To be honest the only thing I sometimes think about are the titanium valves and how they will hold up over time
As much as like the V85,I will stay in a holding pattern and wait and see. I really hope for Guzzis sake the did their homework. You know in November they should be unveiling a street version. If the V85 is flawless they should have another winner in the line up.

Back