• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How often to tighten valve cover bolts?

JJ Eckerman

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi folks! Admin, please redirect as necessary!

My 08 Norge 1200 2V attempted suicide today on my way home from work by letting the oil out from the right valve cover, and lighting up the maintenance icon in the process!

My question is twofold: one, how often does vibration walk valve cover bolts out, allowing oil to escape, and two, how often should I be digging out the torque wrench to tighten them?

Oh, the manual that I have doesn't list torque specs, so that might help as well!

P.P.S., as a new owner of a used Norge, naturally I'm experiencing a bit of trepidation.

Not unusual for the gasket to crack leading to oil leak in the older klingerite material gaskets, it's because of the movement due to the heat cycles of the cover.

You can get silicone gaskets that work or the latest ones from the dealer are coated metal shim which I now have on my 1200 Sport ......not a drop escaped in the last year.

Best check the error codes to see why the "service " warning has lit up.
I get it a fair bit because of the oil pressure switch needs replacing.

I've used the old green gaskets for years now, and never had any problem. I coat each side with a smear of grease, and then use them time and time again.
Never used a torque wrench on them, just tight with a standard allen key has always worked for me. Never known the bolts to loosen off, but be careful not to overtighten them as you can easily distort the cover. It is possible this has happened in the past which is why you had the leak. Take the cover off and put it on a flat surface and check. If there is slight distortion get a piece of plate glass, some grinding paste and grind down the high spots carefully. You could try the same very carefully with a fine file, but lapping it in on plate glass is safer and better.

However that leak on yours could not have caused any service warning, something else did that. Are you sure it was the gasket which failed? There is an oil pressure feed to the rocker box.

Hi Brian, thanks for the info and the "hack"! I've a wealth of plate glass to work with; I'll just need to source some lapping compound. The seals on the valve covers are green - I honestly believe that either vibration or my own naivete may have caused this. Once I got oil into the crank and verified little to no leakage, I was able to ride home. Any additional leaking that I noted may be attributed to oil that I was unable to remove from the fins heating up and making their way down to the edges, so I'm cautiously optimistic that the seal remains intact. Time will tell in that regard. In the meantime, I am carrying a jug of Motul in one of the panniers (a lesson learned from my Honda that I'd forgotten)!

Since I bought the bike two months ago (almost to the day!), I did call the dealer, so I'll be taking it in for them to scan it.

I've used the old green gaskets for years now, and never had any problem. I coat each side with a smear of grease, and then use them time and time again.
Never used a torque wrench on them, just tight with a standard allen key has always worked for me. Never known the bolts to loosen off, but be careful not to overtighten them as you can easily distort the cover. It is possible this has happened in the past which is why you had the leak. Take the cover off and put it on a flat surface and check. If there is slight distortion get a piece of plate glass, some grinding paste and grind down the high spots carefully. You could try the same very carefully with a fine file, but lapping it in on plate glass is safer and better.

However that leak on yours could not have caused any service warning, something else did that. Are you sure it was the gasket which failed? There is an oil pressure feed to the rocker box.

Thanks for all the information, guys!

How many of you use a service-grade thread lock on owner-accessible fasteners that are subject to engine vibration?

UPDATE: I've pinpointed the issue!

Whoever last worked on the bike used a green seal on the left cylinder valve cover, and a black seal on the right! Now to find out why someone would do such a thing, and replace the still-leaking valve cover seal!

UPDATE: I've pinpointed the issue!

Whoever last worked on the bike used a green seal on the left cylinder valve cover, and a black seal on the right! Now to find out why someone would do such a thing, and replace the still-leaking valve cover seal!

Both were stock colors at one time. Gasket used probably isn't the issue. It is best to tighten valve covers in a cross pattern and the screws don't need to be very tight. I use just finger tip pressure on a T handle Allen wrench to snug them up. If that isn't done, the cover may be on unevenly and may leak.

I learned about why we cross torque fasteners the hard way on my Honda when I replaced that valve cover gasket. I wish that was the problem, but thank you just the same! In this case, I believe it was a faulty gasket that, when the fasteners became loose, the gasket cracked. It mostly disintegrated when I pulled off the valve cover to replace the gasket (turns out the dealership didn't know the difference between a head gasket and a valve cover gasket either, so I'm still waiting for the new gasket, too).

In the future, I suppose I'll just have to check the bolts every week on that side.

Both were stock colors at one time. Gasket used probably isn't the issue. It is best to tighten valve covers in a cross pattern and the screws don't need to be very tight. I use just finger tip pressure on a T handle Allen wrench to snug them up. If that isn't done, the cover may be on unevenly and may leak.

Back