• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Guzzi 850 T5 Cafe Racer Project

Well lads. I think I sorted out the Crankcase breather matter. I thank you all for your advice.
Here a quick shot of the result. I used the hose the bike had on it. I think it even may be the original one. It was still in good state, and even though it's green, I think it will do for now.

Once again thanks to everyone for your advice!

IMG 20190221 192010

Next week we are going to start chopping the chasis, as there are a lot of brackets that will no longer be used. Also I have to chop the back as the bike will be a lot shorter now.

The idea was to hide the battery under the seat, but it's going to be a very tight fit.
Also, my idea was initially to put a loop with LED brake and indicator light on the back, however if I were to do this, the back wheel would almost definitely touch the loop when going over a bump or so.

I think I may go for an LED light under the seat, and then just an aluminium cover running all the way back till the engine, working as a mudguard.
Any better ideas will be appreciated! Thanks

IMG 20190220 181337

Point of no return!

Well lads, the tonti frame was subjected to the one way chop!

Took a few photos for reference sake, we didn't finish the job so bike is still at my mates garage, Once I get her back at home I will take some additional photos.
Here they are!

IMG 20190303 090255

IMG 20190303 135631

Well lads. I think I sorted out the Crankcase breather matter. I thank you all for your advice.
Here a quick shot of the result. I used the hose the bike had on it. I think it even may be the original one. It was still in good state, and even though it's green, I think it will do for now.

Once again thanks to everyone for your advice!

View attachment 16503

Hi. Your breather will piss oil as soon as you go on a long ride. I recommend a breather from a T3/Lemans or Agostini Competition breather and plumb the oil return line down to the sump drain plug. Guzzi push a lot of oil out of the crankcase.....Good luck

Thanks for the recommendation

I think the furtherest the bike will go is about 30kms... Hopefully this wont happen considering the distance. And it's daily distance will be around 15kms.

If this does happen with such short distances, I will implement the system you recommend.

Once again thanks, I will be doing more work on the bike during the weekends when possible, so new content up shortly!

Hi. Your breather will piss oil as soon as you go on a long ride. I recommend a breather from a T3/Lemans or Agostini Competition breather and plumb the oil return line down to the sump drain plug. Guzzi push a lot of oil out of the crankcase.....Good luck

Hi lads

Been working on the aluminium parts I need made. Fount a cool company that you pretty much just have to upload the blueprint on their web and your done. Will let you know if it works out, and if so will share page with you all.

Have sent them a small piece I need for the foot pegs to connect to the gear shifter.

I have also been doing some mock-ups for the Dials. I think I'm pretty much there, have to measure all now and make sure the thickness is enough and all that... Anyway, here some trusty Photoshop proxies with similar to end result finish.

My intention is to use the original Dials, as they are in pretty good cons, and also they are the "original" ones, and have true mileage on them. Maybe in the future if I grow tired of them I swap for the Motogadget unit. As you all know, my idea is going for a Retro-modern look, not all peoples taste, but hey, in the end nothing is!

Let me know what you think, am going to paint the rear of the Dials in black, so this is what it would look like roughly.

DIALS
DIALS REAR 2

Morning all

I received in the post the piece for the pedal yesterday. To my surprise instead on 1 unit, they sent me 4!!

I asked them if I had to send them any additional money, to what they replied "of course not, on such small pieces we always do more than one unit just in case one brakes or gets lost, in your case this didn't happen so we sent them all".

I took a quick snap last night when I opened the package so not the best of photo, all content in the box is there also, company is called LaserBoost in case anyone is interested. Hope you like it.

I will try it on the bike next week, if it works well and holds the pressure I will have 2 additional ones (keeping 2), just in case anyone needs one, or the design, which I can send also.

Ride safe!

IMG 20190507 WA0009

Sorry I haven't been posting a lot lately, sort of lost the habit...!

I have moved the bike back to my garage as all welding has pretty much been completed.
In these weeks we have managed to chop the chasis and some of the bits not needed, adjust the seat, and put some stoppers on the steering so it doesn't hit the tank.

I have started with the electrical system and will be doing that in the coming weeks.
Connected the starter motor yesterday and I see it doesn't turn the engine over, clicks and that is pretty much it. Will check see if it's just from lack of use, or if there is not enough current getting to it. I see people tap it a little to free it and that sometimes work. If not I will order a new one as it's most probably 33 years old! If you have any better ideas I'm all ears, thanks!

Here a few photos of the bike with seat on, let me know what you all think!

IMG 20190608 165214 IMG 20190608 164757 IMG 20190608 164751
IMG 20190608 164743

Try and short across solenoid with a screw driver or whatever (so by pass all the usual electrics if that spin it then it’s just the relay or whatever giving trouble. If that just goes clunk try same screwdriver onto the ring gear through the plug on side of gearbox. If it’s turns easy enough then it’s the battery if it’s solid then .......

Thanks mate, I will give it a try this afternoon.

In theory the Lion battery is powerful enough to start the bike. I will charge the original one also and give it a go just to be on the safe side as well.

Let u know, once again thanks for the advice,
Jake

Try and short across solenoid with a screw driver or whatever (so by pass all the usual electrics if that spin it then it’s just the relay or whatever giving trouble. If that just goes clunk try same screwdriver onto the ring gear through the plug on side of gearbox. If it’s turns easy enough then it’s the battery if it’s solid then .......

Right, just had a quick go whilst I pluged in the original battery.

I shorted across and the starter spins no problem. Got some good sparks going!

I have the cable exiting the solenoid straight to the motogadget m unit Start. This has two entry holes so I spliced the cable in two as per instructions on the manual.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your help guys,
Jake

Thanks mate, I will give it a try this afternoon.

In theory the Lion battery is powerful enough to start the bike. I will charge the original one also and give it a go just to be on the safe side as well.

Let u know, once again thanks for the advice,
Jake

Well, after running a few tests I have managed to get the starter to turn over correctly. It seems like the Motogadget M-Unit has to be connected to the starter with x2 2,5mm cables cross section, or so it says in the manual, so I have run two cables from the Starter to the M-Unit and spayed a lot of contact cleaner on, and it turned over once.

I think it's due for a replacement anyhow. I have unbolted one of the Starter screws and saw a little oil come out, so imagine this will have to be done when oil change is.

Thanks to all of you for your support, will keep on going, and posting a few shots of the electrical system if you like.

Ride safe,
Jake

Starter problem solved. It was a bad ground... yeah how dumb of me was that. It seams the main bolt for the M-Unit ground had come loose, hence the starter not working. For the rest of the electronics it was enough power.

Hope this helps someone out, always check your grounds!

Morning lads

Been trying to get the timing to work over the weekend, no luck whatsoever. It may be that the markings on the flywheel are not too precise. I am going to give it another shot during the week, If not I will probably buy a degree wheel and a piston stopper and try and work out TDC with that.

Would anyone know exactly how many degrees before the TDC the spark has to fire? degrees or number of teeth if possible...
Thanks, here some shots of the electrical system being tested out, once all is working I will clear it up!

IMG 20190615 133137 IMG 20190615 133143 IMG 20190615 133141

Timing issue now SOLVED!

I don't know how or why, but there were two D's on my Flywheel. So the firing sequence was waaay off, hence the misfiring and flames out the carbs. Now it starts like a champ. I understand there are two movements to the TDC, it was probably on the wrong one... Sorry, not a mechanic so for others this may seem easy, hope it helps out any of the ones that are not mechanically trained.

I will be clearing the wires up and checking all fits in place with the tank on. Even be bold enough to say that I'll soon try it outside our house!!!

Thanks to all for your help, ride safe,
Jake

Thanks mate! And thank you all for the support!

On Friday I managed to get her out on the street and from first to second to do a little ride test! She had not been out on the road for at least 2 years!!

The Dyna and all new components have got the bike starting perfectly. First press, first start. I would strongly recommend upgrading to you all.

I hope you all have a good weekend. I will continue to document the advances on the bike for you all.

Ride safe,
Jake

Looks amazing so far. Huge amount of work but I'm sure that it is going to be worth it in the end.

Back