• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lots of Oil in the air filter box California 1400

I'm getting ready to do the 1st oil change on my Eldorado 1400 and am glad I found this thread. I'll be very careful not to overfill.

This is not unique to Moto Guzzi. I had a BMW F650 (Rotax engine) and overfilled it just a hair above the full mark on the dipstick. It ended up soaking the new K&N filter with oil I had recently installed. It did have a "do not overfill" warning molded on the oil cap, I guess they really meant it :)

I had Todd do my last oil change when he did the fueling mods. Remembering he told me never to put more than 3 liters in it when doing oil changes. Since it’s against my nature to run a bike low on oil I questioned him on this and he told me that the 1400 tends to soak the filter and air box with oil if you put in more than 3liters. Since the manual says otherwise, I’m sure there is a bunch of bikes out there oozing from the air box.

Sorry to drag up an old thread...but I just want to say THANKS! reading this probably saved me some trouble on this road trip. I had the dealer do the last few oil changes, but doing it myself this time as I'm heading on a multiweek trip in a few days.

I totally would have filled it right up near the max line if I hadn't read this.

But instead I drained and filled with 3Liters. Oil level is about 1/4 - 3/8 above the min line.

Cheers Joe

I have been told multiples MG sources that small amounts of condensation and oil out the bottom airbox drain is normal. I get about 1.25 inches in the drain about every 300km. This drains out to make only a few drops. The I'D of the clear tub is small so it looks like a lot but is not.

In a case where the airbox is full of oil, there must be considerable oil dumping out.

How much is too much.

Had not checked my oil level for a while (no smoke, and no leaks, so no worries, right?). Checked it yesterday, and it was WAAAAAY too low. Didn't have time to check out the airbox, so I just added oil up to the lower line on the stick. Will check out the airbox this weekend.
Has there been any fix found for this issue?

Sure enough, I pulled the plug out of the drain tube this morning and a bunch of oil came out. Didn't have time to completely drain it, but I will after work today. Will open the airbox this weekend, and see how much is on the air filter.

Dealer told me to never fill in oil more than half between min. And max. On the dipstick.

Also: did ur dealer use the correct 10w-60 oil?
Wrong oil can foam up when hot and then make its way to the airbox.

Dealer told me to never fill in oil more than half between min. And max. On the dipstick.

Also: did ur dealer use the correct 10w-60 oil?
Wrong oil can foam up when hot and then make its way to the airbox.
No, I have no way of knowing for sure that the mechanic put the proper weight oil in it, as I did not watch him add the oil.

See if they have it on the shelf. Many dealers use "what we have"!
I was on a trip, 1,300 miles from home when I had it changed. The MG dealer was too busy to do it, so they recommended a shop that they deal with on a regular basis. The shop said that they used the 10w60, but who really knows.

I was on a trip, 1,300 miles from home when I had it changed. The MG dealer was too busy to do it, so they recommended a shop that they deal with on a regular basis. The shop said that they used the 10w60, but who really knows.

In my experience, searching around Vancouver, I couldn't find a single motorcycle shop that stocked 10w60 unless they were a franchised dealer and their bikes used the stuff. Yes it's possible to buy it in and I guess they could have got it from the MG dealer you mention, but it's a lot easier to use what's on the shelf, especially in the middle of "nowhere ville". My buddy (who rides a Harley) found himself low on Oil on a day ride to Whistler last year and just bought some from a Gas Station and put that in. When I asked if it was the right stuff he said "any oil is better than no oil" and this was the bikes owner!!

In my experience, searching around Vancouver, I couldn't find a single motorcycle shop that stocked 10w60 unless they were a franchised dealer and their bikes used the stuff. Yes it's possible to buy it in and I guess they could have got it from the MG dealer you mention, but it's a lot easier to use what's on the shelf, especially in the middle of "nowhere ville". My buddy (who rides a Harley) found himself low on Oil on a day ride to Whistler last year and just bought some from a Gas Station and put that in. When I asked if it was the right stuff he said "any oil is better than no oil" and this was the bikes owner!!
Well, he had a point. The main reason I had the oil changed mid trip is that I had to add a little wrong weight oil (20w50). Yes, any oil is better than chancing it getting below the sump. I didn't go very far with a half quart of 20w50 mixed in, and I wanted to get it out of there as soon as possible.

Guzzi lore says to check oil level with the dip stick unscrewed and to fill to about mid way between full and low. When I do this that just about puts it at the full level on the dipstick when screwed in, just maybe that is the correct way to do it.

Finally got the time to change the oil and filter, tranny juice, and air filter yesterday. There was no oil on the air filter, but a tiny bit in the bottom of the airbox. Engine and transmission oil changes were pretty easy, and will probably be quite a bit quicker the next time I do it.
Next on the agenda is adjusting the valves.

Back