• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Open Exhausts

dabrucru

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hello all,

My 2013 Racer was fitted with a pair of mistrals, I also fitted a power commander to compensate for fuel , the thing I noted was that it does not runs as perfect as when its fitted with the standard exhausts. Example its hard to getting it in neutral , my thinking is telling me that maybe engine is getting hotter? and the excessive heat is effecting the clutch cable? I feel also that the bike is not happy with low revs.

Presently I fitted back the stock exhausts, and left the power commander fitted, and its going like a dream.

Has anyone experienced these same symptoms? I love the sound of open exhausts but I m not risking breaking something just for the sound.

thanks

David

You really need to contact Todd at Guzzi Tech.com
Just putting the power commander on won't help without the proper map.
Running open exhaust is not a good idea for Guzzi's BUT you can get great performance & great sound if you do it correctly.

There are a load of posts on this site concerning this.

You really need to contact Todd at Guzzi Tech.com
Just putting the power commander on won't help without the proper map.
Running open exhaust is not a good idea for Guzzi's BUT you can get great performance & great sound if you do it correctly.

There are a load of posts on this site concerning this.

I considered several time the remap todd offers, the thing that worries me is the difference of weather fron country to another. Could be a stupid thing but would affect?

Guzzi greetings... my recent DNA trace puts some of my bloodline from Malta, so ciao fellow Maltan.
So you state a 2013 model year, but do you have a dual throttle body engine, or single? They do not make a PowerComm for the single throttle body engines. It sure looks like you have a single throttle body engine in your avatar.

About 17 years ago I wrote this; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/power-commanders-black-box-magic.205/ -- you should skim it regarding PC's.

Guzzi builds one bike for a global market. Even the fuel maps on the stock ECU are the same. The sensors and algorithms take care of differences around the world, however they are set for emissions (critically lean where you ride the most, rich where most people don't spend much time). I've told the same story now for decades again and again, spend some time reading the site here. If you have a single TB, not sure how it's even possible that someone put a PC on it (I'm the technical advisor for Guzzi models for Dynojet USA), so only my flash tool will be of help; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool - I've successfully helped people around the world with it.

Guzzi greetings... my recent DNA trace puts some of my bloodline from Malta, so ciao fellow Maltan.
So you state a 2013 model year, but do you have a dual throttle body engine, or single? They do not make a PowerComm for the single throttle body engines. It sure looks like you have a single throttle body engine in your avatar.

About 17 years ago I wrote this; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/power-commanders-black-box-magic.205/ -- you should skim it regarding PC's.

Guzzi builds one bike for a global market. Even the fuel maps on the stock ECU are the same. The sensors and algorithms take care of differences around the world, however they are set for emissions (critically lean where you ride the most, rich where most people don't spend much time). I've told the same story now for decades again and again, spend some time reading the site here. If you have a single TB, not sure how it's even possible that someone put a PC on it (I'm the technical advisor for Guzzi models for Dynojet USA), so only my flash tool will be of help; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool - I've successfully helped people around the world with it.
Hi I m glad that we re genetically connected lol, we people from Malta are called Maltese and italian is not our language although we speak it easily. Jokes apart, this 'thing' that i called power commander is a simple device that controls air and fuel, and connects with the lambda sensors, so maybe its called something else. The bike improved a lot with standard exhausts on and yes mine is a single throttle body. With open exhaust it does not like to go slow.
I m not and never will doubt your knowledge and great work you do with Moto Guzzis, but i was concerned regarding climate and weather etc. So, I think your device is what I need after all. I will look into the posts here and see exactly how it works and what one has to do when changing exhausts with aftermarket ones. Until then i salute you brother ;)

Power Commanders are a device name branded by Dynojet. They work well when used properly. None exist for the 2013+ V7/V9’s.
Well covered here, ad nauseam, is that sensor “fooler” devices don’t work well. Will they make the bike run differently? Yes. Better, no. People waste money on them often.
Static ECU flash, when built with air/fuel data, work well. PComm’s with AutoTune technology work best.
Despite all of the arguments I’ve had for 18+ years over them, they still make tuning easy with the right knowledge. My GTM builds would be nearly impossible and costly without them.
Happy to fix your fueling with a flash tool. Read the reviews. ;)

Power Commanders are a device name branded by Dynojet. They work well when used properly. None exist for the 2013+ V7/V9’s.
Well covered here, ad nauseam, is that sensor “fooler” devices don’t work well. Will they make the bike run differently? Yes. Better, no. People waste money on them often.
Static ECU flash, when built with air/fuel data, work well. PComm’s with AutoTune technology work best.
Despite all of the arguments I’ve had for 18+ years over them, they still make tuning easy with the right knowledge. My GTM builds would be nearly impossible and costly without them.
Happy to fix your fueling with a flash tool. Read the reviews. ;)
I read all reaviews. Everyone seems happy with them. So with this unit i get two maps, am i correct? I for standard mode and one for open exhaust? Or i m wrong?

I read all reaviews. Everyone seems happy with them.
Indeed, you cannot go wrong with Todd's products. I think I have read pretty much every post on this entire forum and I have yet to see even a single complaint regarding the ECU flash, for that matter I cannot recall seeing any where the response was anything other than improvement.

I suspect it may need a little back pressure in the exhaust system to reduce the effect of reversion and allow for a proper cylinder fill of fuel. Even with PC's and other fueling aids or crb tunes my bike have run better in the lower and mid RPM range when the exhaust was baffled. Recently I had that experience with My FI Indian Scout. A highly respected tuner in the area told me just last week I should expect the same results for my H-D if I run it with an open exhaust even with a tune but it's likely I will get more ponies in the higher RMP range.

Good reads here: crateinsider.com/using-anti-reversion-to-create-free-power/
Good video here, an oldie but a goodie. FI will suffer the same consequence as Carb bike but, depending on the fuel pimp pressure, perhaps to a lesser extent:

Enjoy the entertainment. ;)
Paul.

Last edited:
I suspect it may need a little back pressure in the exhaust system to reduce the effect of reversion and allow for a proper cylinder fill of fuel. Even with PC's and other fueling aids or crb tunes my bike have run better in the lower and mid RPM range when the exhaust was baffled. Recently I had that experience with My FI Indian Scout. A highly respected tuner in the area told me just last week I should expect the same results for my H-D if I run it with an open exhaust even with a tune but it's likely I will get more ponies in the higher RMP range.

Good reads here: crateinsider.com/using-anti-reversion-to-create-free-power/
Good video here, an oldie but a goodie. FI will suffer the same consequence as Carb bike but, depending on the fuel pimp pressure, perhaps to a lesser extent:

Enjoy the entertainment. ;)
Paul.

That power ain't "free", you've already paid for it. The problem is the MoCo didn't delivered it! :mad:

Back