• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2017 V7 III Check Engine Light

I am on the fence as to whether replace the sensors, or leave them as they are since the new reflash will ignore the O2 sensors (can anyone confirm this?)
You are running my flash already, no? If so, don't waste your money on replacing them.

Todd, yes I am already a customer. Ordered some bar end mirrors from you this week.

I may have to take that 2>1 polished exhaust off your hands too.... a few months of savings and we will be in touch. I think it will be perfect on my bike.

Todd, yes I am already a customer. Ordered some bar end mirrors from you this week.

I may have to take that 2>1 polished exhaust off your hands too.... a few months of savings and we will be in touch. I think it will be perfect on my bike.

Love the brushed 2>1.....most GP fans say it has an old school GP sound.

So anything new. My 17 has 4400 miles on it. I did three days of rain 700 miles total three days later I washed it then rode 50 miles. No light ever. Two hours later I started it to go home and I get the light. Makes no sense that there could be moisture getting to it now.

Guzzi V7 III 2017, 1800 miles, was in the mountains early on humid day as well, came down, on one of the lights on way home, after about 70 miles, I was in neutral and when I shifted to first, the engine light came on, stopped check oil, all was good, bike seemed 100% normal, rode it home for another 20 miles, same day at night started the bike, the engine light was still on, two days later in the dry garage, I started, no engine light, I did about 30 miles no engine light, will ride again tomorrow and update if the problem comes back, but from what I read maybe it is the humidity ? The bike runs 100% normal

at 13,000 miles now and knock on wood it hasn't returned.

Mine came up again today, coming off a mountain after again, about 70 miles, engine light on again, oil fine, bike 100% normal, not humid today, maybe the change in elevation from 8000 feet? who knows... will let it sit in the garage for couple of days and see if it gone, will call dealer anyway to see what they say... will update in few days

Been repeatedly seeing the dealer about this. Their mechanic was on the phone for hours with the Guzzi tech trying to resolve this issue. In the end, they sent the data to Mandello. Waiting to hear back. Light came on for a few days and then went off again a few days later. It's pretty maddening this can't be fixed.

I'd disconnect the battery over night like I did on mine. might even be smart to when disconnected to turn on the key and hit the brake lever to drain anything stored in the computer.

The other approach is to disconnect the battery, and short the positive and negative cables together overnight.

Dealing with supernatural reasoning here.

My first two CEL came before I had Todd’s FT. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, started it and the CEL was still there. I continued to start/stop and rode around, and by the fourth time, the CEL went away for a couple of months before coming back.

I believe its condensation in the O2 sensor. Performance was not affected; mine happened in the morning when it was cold and misty.

After I had Todd’s FT, the third CEL, I could read and clear the code - Lambda sensor, short to positive, short to negative/circuit etc like my post above.

Been repeatedly seeing the dealer about this. Their mechanic was on the phone for hours with the Guzzi tech trying to resolve this issue. In the end, they sent the data to Mandello. Waiting to hear back. Light came on for a few days and then went off again a few days later. It's pretty maddening this can't be fixed.

So basically no one at the dealership or Guzzi knows why the light comes on and off ? Nothing is wrong with the bike itself I assume in your case as well / Bike rides normal ?

So basically no one at the dealership or Guzzi knows why the light comes on and off ? Nothing is wrong with the bike itself I assume in your case as well / Bike rides normal ?

It seems so. They've already replaced one sensor that was faulty. They also replaced both exhaust headers on account of the paint fading away. I worry that I have a lemon.

They had it for a day. Their feedback:

Our technical team spent some considerable time in contact with the dealership on Friday regarding the issues with your V7. Firstly, it is important to note that no running error was found and the vehicle appeared to be running normally. There was a stored Lambda sensor fault on the ECU indicating some out of scale reading. Further examination revealed some brown residue in the inlet manifolds which may indicate that the bike has suffered some fuel contamination, which could lead to this issue. To this end, we have requested the data from the bike be sent for analysis by the factory.

The light seems to come on when it's left out on a hot day. Then is off a few days later when I start it up. It also won't idle well at start-up on hot days. It appears to ride normal - although the bike seems to throw up a LOT more heat than the V9 Roamer I had before. Which is a bit of a drag. Other than this, it seems to run normally.

It also won't idle well at start-up on hot days. It appears to ride normal - although the bike seems to throw up a LOT more heat than the V9 Roamer I had before.
I have to say that my V7 III has never not stated perfectly regardless of the temperature, and even on hot days I barely notice any heat from the motor. Your's does not sound healthy to me.

I have to say that my V7 III has never not stated perfectly regardless of the temperature, and even on hot days I barely notice any heat from the motor. Your's does not sound healthy to me.

It's interesting that you say this - I haven't much experience of other V7iii's. But on hot days in city riding, the heat coming up from the engine is quite intense and noticeable more than the Roamer. I assumed any issue with heat would show up in the testing and analysis the dealer did with the Guzzi tech team.

It seems so. They've already replaced one sensor that was faulty. They also replaced both exhaust headers on account of the paint fading away. I worry that I have a lemon.

They had it for a day. Their feedback:

Our technical team spent some considerable time in contact with the dealership on Friday regarding the issues with your V7. Firstly, it is important to note that no running error was found and the vehicle appeared to be running normally. There was a stored Lambda sensor fault on the ECU indicating some out of scale reading. Further examination revealed some brown residue in the inlet manifolds which may indicate that the bike has suffered some fuel contamination, which could lead to this issue. To this end, we have requested the data from the bike be sent for analysis by the factory.

I was at the dealer today, the light came on Sunday ride, Tuesday I started the bike, was still there, I made appointment for today, Wednesday and when I started the bike to go to the dealer the light was off:):) But I went anyway, long story short, it is the O2 sensor trigger, but the sensor (both of them) are fine, it is that anything in hot day, elevation, humidity, any backfire in the exhaust, can trip it, the dealer said he has some guys live in elevation and it happens all the time when they go to the valley, it happens in hot summer days, humidity, elevation or some combination etc... basically I was told it will happen again and unless the bike seem to have other problem, or the engine light stays even after days in dry garage, weeks of regular riding, that there is not much that can be done, I am welcome to go there and reset anytime, but nothing that can be done now. I was also told that guys that put in exhaust system (not me) have the problem all the time. I am lucky the dealer is near by my house, but I realize it is annoying for guys without dealer near by and no solution

I've had the CEL come on twice now on my 2017 V7 iii Special. I solved it the first time by removing the negative battery cable for about an hour as suggested here. It just happened to me again. In both cases the light came on at about the same location. It was shortly after coming down the same canyon after going through an area where there's stream water crossing the road. The common elements seem to be going through a little water at altitude, then it throws the code on the decent. Maybe just coincidence? I'll try the battery trick again. I'm starting to think that I may need to install some kind of switch so I don't have to physically remove the cable every time!

Last edited:
I've had the CEL come on twice now on my 2017 V7 iii Special. I solved it the first time by removing the negative battery cable for about an hour as suggested here. It just happened to me again. In both cases the light came on at about the same location. It was shortly after coming down the same canyon after going through an area where there's stream water crossing the road. The common elements seem to be going through a little water at altitude, then it throws the code on the decent. Maybe just coincidence? I'll try the battery trick again. I'm starting to think that I may need to install some kind of switch so I don't have to physically remove the cable every time!

Mine came on again, also coming off altitude, after 70 mile ride, it was two weeks ago, I rode the bike two more times since then and light still on, this morning I went to the same mountain, started the bike and CEL was off, I came off the mountain, and in the valley it came on again, just before reaching home, mine is also 2017 V7 III, (stone not special) . I called my dealer last week, asking if I should come and reset the code, he suggested wait till weather cools down, he thinks it is the difference in temperature between 8000 to 10000 elevation and the valley. Curious to find out if battery disconnect worked again or not ? In total it happened to me 4 times, all coming off the same mountain, and in the past three cases light just disappeared after some time in the garage, lets see what happens this time, the dealer said it is known problem and there is really no solution to it.

Curious to find out if battery disconnect worked again or not ?

I disconnected the battery overnight but the light stayed on. I rode for a few miles and stopped for fuel. After filling up...the light went off! Now I have no idea what's going on. I feel like the ghost in the machine is just messing with me.

Back