• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 C-S Suspension Thread

Hey Todd, I purchased a Matris fork cartridge kit from you around 2/24/2018.
Questions - Do you have a suggested torque value for the 8 mm screw that fixes the Matris cartridge to the slider? Should I use a crush washer?
My sig was MRLost back then but I had to change ISPs when I moved so I've changed my login.
Guys, this isn’t my Inbox... I don’t catch every post here, and I hover around 1000 emails/day, so be patient on a reply. At some point soon, I am not going to be able reply to questions here outside of Ask the Wrench sections or direct email.
I don’t have a torque value, but I’ll ask Matris. I also use an impact like sib, as I’ve done on every set of forks since I was a kid racing.

Thanks sib - that's just what I needed to know. 50 Nm is a fairly high so I won't sweat running up the torque level. If I encounter the issue you mention - that the cartridge spins with the screw as the torque level rises - I can buy an air impact wrench. Always have wanted an excuse to buy an air wrench.

No prob Todd ... sib provided the info I needed.

Hi guys what would you recommend for my 2013 v7 stone, I need smoother ride and I have low budget

Hi guys what would you recommend for my 2013 v7 stone, I need smoother ride and I have low budget
I've merged your post with this thread. Start from the beginning and skim down. You will find your answer most likely... then click on the Store tab above for our selections. For tight budgets, and depending on what you weigh, fork springs and our GTM S2W option; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gtm-s2w-ifp-twin-shocks

I purchased the GT V7 "Hybrid" Fork Kit with the Mupo emulators, Matris preload adjusters and RT springs and the RT IFP Twin shocks for my Stornello last year and here are my thoughts on the installation and riding. I'm 220 pounds and ride a Stornello.

The easy one is to talk about the shocks. The OEM shocks were quickly replaced with the Progressive shocks at I Moto's suggestion but the improvement was slight and I was looking for a bit more height. Todd suggested the RT IFP with an extra 20 mm. Installation was straight forward and the improvement significant. The higher rear end meant that the geometry changed slightly and the bike turns in quicker. That is handy both on the street and the trail and I think was an improvement. No regrets! For the light dual-sport riding I do on the Stornello (no jumps!) means that I like the damping on the light side and I progressively dialed it all the way off over a couple months of riding.

The fork kit was selected as the OEM damping rod system created a harsh response at high compression rates; exactly what my commute on the freeway was giving me and in off pavement riding ! had to keep the speed way down to avoid sharp responses. The harshness was bad enough I decided I couldn't tour until I fixed it. Todd suggested the Hybrid Forks kit which included the Mupo emulators and Matris preload adjusters and RT springs and spacers. However, the damping seemed to increase. After reading up on how emulators work and what others did, and recognizing that I don't have the tools to take apart the forks, I took the forks out of the bike and headed over to Hamlin Cycles. I emailed Mupo for instructions without success, but as RT has a similar looking emulator Jim decided to follow the instructions for that. Although the emulators are described as drop in, we were looking for less damping so he drilled out the damping rod holes to 5/16 and added another pair of holes. We put the Mupo emulators in with the acorn nut up as that was the way shown in a Mupo ad. After reassembling the forks he poured in 15w fork oil and set the air gap at 140 mm. I raced home, reinstalled the forks and headed down the street. What a huge improvement!

Now, two weeks later and after a couple others have ridden the bike I'm thinking it might still be a bit too much damping. The bike is still firmly planted in turns but the high speed compression is a bit hard. I will try increasing the air gap and may go to 10w fork oil when I change it this winter. I'm off for a two-week trip to Gaspe and it will get a good workout.

Update: July 2020. The Gaspe trip was great with a mix of paved and unpaved roads, a few km of trails, snow, sunshine and heavy rain. To the point of this post, some of the roads were rough and the Stornello's revised suspension was, to my taste, still too rough on compression, although much improved. When I got home I syphoned out as much of the 15w fork oil as I could and replaced it with some 7.5 I had lying around. A small but noticeable improvement. A couple weeks ago I decided it was time to change out the fork oil and I replaced it with 5w and set the airgap at 160 mm, still more improvement, although the front end feels more small movements, probably due to the lower viscosity reducing the rebound damping.

I think this is about as far as I can go, other than increasing the air gap a bit more. It works pretty well and is a huge improvement over stock. In hindsight, I should have figured that the non-adjustable Mupo's were designed for street riding and I'm looking for a dual-sport setup with softer damping. The Race Tech emulators with their adjustable damping would probably have been a better choice for me as I could have dialed off some damping.

One day after I replaced the fork oil I did hear back from Mupo with instructions. Luckily my guesses were basically correct, although for the V7II they recommend 10w and 135 mm.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my V7 Mk III with a pair of Hagons. 3 pre-load settings, 9 damping control adjustments. Different bike. It's on rails. No po-going, no spine compression. Bliss. New tyres too. Metzler Klassics: So far-so wonderful.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi, I'm looking to lower the rear on my v7 11 2016. I don't seem to be able to find out what length the standard shocks are and to what extent I can safely lower the bike without causing excessive stress to the transmission.

Hi, I'm looking to lower the rear on my v7 11 2016. I don't seem to be able to find out what length the standard shocks are and to what extent I can safely lower the bike without causing excessive stress to the transmission.
As per posts above, email Todd direct?

Mick, I've merged this thread with this one... read through starting at the first post here.
Also...

The rare suspension is pretty harsh over bumps, which way do you adjust the lower adjustment ring on the shock to soften the ride, up or down?

Thanks

Attempting to install a Matris kit today on my '13 with Kaifa forks... I noticed that the bushing and oil regulator do not seat into the stock springs... it looks like it's intended to though, can anyone confirm?
20190928 154305b 20190928 154345b

Attempting to install a Matris kit today on my '13 with Kaifa forks... I noticed that the bushing and oil regulator do not seat into the stock springs... it looks like it's intended to though, can anyone confirm?
They should seat. You verified Kaifa on the forks and the box, yes? If so, email the ID of the spring. Real check is to make sure the fork caps thread into the fork tubes. Don't mar the threads if they don't.
Edit: Question, are those for sure stock fork springs?

Last edited:
The rare suspension is pretty harsh over bumps, which way do you adjust the lower adjustment ring on the shock to soften the ride, up or down?
Start from the top of this thread on setting sag, and see video above.

They should seat. You verified Kaifa on the forks and the box, yes? If so, email the ID of the spring. Real check is to make sure the fork caps thread into the fork tubes. Don't mar the threads if they don't.
Edit: Question, are those for sure stock fork springs?

Thanks for the reply Todd and sorry for the slow response, I got the bike new so they should be the stock springs, I sure haven't changed them! Forks are definitely Kaifa and the end caps thread with no issue. I'm not sure the kit came from your store, it was a gift over a year ago. I think I've worked out a way to make them seat by taking a little more off the diameter of the end that nests into the spring... I don't have a mill so I had to figure out how to do it without making a mess of it. Waiting for the tool to come in tomorrow and just circled back around to make sure I wasn't crazy. :)

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of preload adjustment caps for a 16' V7 II ? I just need the caps, not the whole kit.

Thanks,

Has anyone had any experience with the Andreani Cartridge Fork inserts for the V7ii?

I had a full Andreani fork cartridge system installed in my 2016 Stronello by a local professional suspension shop earlier this year. Two of the guys in the shop have worked on it and cannot seem to get it dialed in. This is a top rate suspension shop and I have had them work on my other bikes in the past.

The springs that came with it (0.78) caused a metallic clunk in the forks when hitting medium or larger bumps. They added some fork oil to prevent the bottoming and the ride became very harsh. I'm not entirely convinced that the clunk was from the fork bottoming out. They then put in stiffer springs (0.84 or 0.88, I don't remember) and now the ride is way too stiff and the bumps at speed are too harsh. My weight without gear is about 165-170 lbs. The guys don't think they can get this system dialed in any better as they have spent lots of time on it so far.

Has anyone else installed the Andreani cartridges in their V7? No one seems to have much experience with this kit in the V7. My shop has contacted Andreani and they simply say to send back if it's not working, which obviously is not solving the issues. I'm hugely disappointed with this fork setup so far and I have never had a front end so harsh, this also includes the lousy stock fork setup.

I have a pair of Ohlins shocks on the rear and these are working very well.

Thoughts? Thanks for any input!

Back