• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Engine Guards aka Crash Bars

moparnut72

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I am looking for an Engine Guard for my Audace. I am old and have dropped my prior bikes a couple of times. Poor footing etc to blame. I am finding that it is hard to find one for the Audace. I have found a few for the Eldorado. Will these work on an Audace? I did find one in the factory accessory catalogue but I am guessing it may be priced quite high. I will call the dealership tomorrow for a price. Any and all advice greatly appreciated. I am new to MG so bear with me.
kk

I am looking for an Engine Guard for my Audace. I am old and have dropped my prior bikes a couple of times. Poor footing etc to blame. I am finding that it is hard to find one for the Audace. I have found a few for the Eldorado. Will these work on an Audace? I did find one in the factory accessory catalogue but I am guessing it may be priced quite high. I will call the dealership tomorrow for a price. Any and all advice greatly appreciated. I am new to MG so bear with me.
kk

Welcome to the clan. As far as I know the engine guards fit all models, they are all basically the same, just cosmetically different. You can get the Guzzi one's or they are also available from a company called Hepco Becker. You may even be able to get them through Guzzitech but I can't see them listed in the store.

i have been unable to find one listed for the Audace. Some for the Eldo though. I just got off the phone with a parts guy at my dealership. He says they won't interchange. I went ahead and ordered a MG one for my Audace. Kinds a like a Harley part, pretty pricey. For what I saved on my bike purchase no biggie. I am afraid of what might happen to my bike if I lose my footing and drop it. I dropped my Harley a couple of times, the crash bar prevented any damage. Happy to be part of the clan.
kk

af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=80293&sku=2S000366&description=OEM+Moto+Guzzi+Black+Engine+Guards+-2S000366

I have these, they install pretty easy, but you have to buy different nuts, I believe. I just brought the bolts with me to a hardware store.

Those are the very same ones I ordered from my dealer. Same price too. Mainly for peace of mind.
kk

af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=80293&sku=2S000366&description=OEM+Moto+Guzzi+Black+Engine+Guards+-2S000366

I have these, they install pretty easy, but you have to buy different nuts, I believe. I just brought the bolts with me to a hardware store.
Got the guzzi ones too for my audace carbon.
The delievered the wrong nuts as well. Idiots.

Hey all, first post here, I purchased an Audace ('16 leftover) today and one of the accessories I have in hand is a pair of the engine guards. It seems pretty straight forward but I'm unable to find any torque specs on them. Can you offer any direction?

Thanks and done.

kolIGu.jpg

Just got mine on day before yesterday. The two nuts were also wrong, coarse thread instead of fine. Also missing two of the shorter bolts. No biggie, parts house had both.
kk

I just received the crash bars in the mail. It's also missing the two lower bolts needed to attach it on the mount below the oil cooler.

It seems to me that two extra spacers are needed as well. Without the spacers it looks like it will only be tightening up on the oil cooler shrouding and not pressing against the frame of the bike. This wouldn't be an issue on models without the oil cooler shroud I guess.

I just received the crash bars in the mail. It's also missing the two lower bolts needed to attach it on the mount below the oil cooler.
It seems to me that two extra spacers are needed as well. Without the spacers it looks like it will only be tightening up on the oil cooler shrouding and not pressing against the frame of the bike. This wouldn't be an issue on models without the oil cooler shroud I guess.
Sorry for the troubles. Since you bought them from me, if you can get me the sizes you need, I'll make them and send on Monday.

Hi Todd. Thank you for following this up.

This kit comes with a ton of nuts and bolts and none of them seem to fit or the right size ..

I just got back from Home Depot and bought 2 (M12 X 80) bolts for the lower attachment. They seem to work ok. However when I looked at the included upper bolts they are threaded in the wrong pitch. The originals are fine and the bolts in the kit are coarse.

Spacers also seem to be an issue. The included spacers for the upper attachment don't seem to be long enough to clear the curvature of the frame tube. Adding an additional M10 washer seems to work. There is no spacer for the lower attachment. Do you think a spacer is required to fill up the cavity between the oil cooler shroud and the frame mount? Otherwise the shroud is taking all the pressure.

Here is a list of what's missing in the kit. I don't have a metric ruler here right now. I measured it with a regular tape measure.

Upper attachment
4 x extra M10 washers
4 x M10 x 45 fine thread bolts

Lower attachment
2 x M12 x 80 bolts (maybe even 85 or 90 with washers)
2 x M12 lock nuts
4 x M12 washers
2 x 7/16" length spacers (M12 / 3/4" OD)

I don't know who puts this kit together Hepco or Guzzi/Piaggio. The instructions don't even seem to match as it refers to moving some alternator cover etc.

I still plan on taking my bike into your shop when you get those suspension parts in from Matris. So I may even leave putting it on until I bring it in.

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_132221044.jpg
    IMG_20210924_132221044.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210924_131534478.jpg
    IMG_20210924_131534478.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210924_130726341.jpg
    IMG_20210924_130726341.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I don't know who puts this kit together Hepco or Guzzi/Piaggio. The instructions don't even seem to match as it refers to moving some alternator cover etc.
I still plan on taking my bike into your shop when you get those suspension parts in from Matris. So I may even leave putting it on until I bring it in.
OK, it sure does sound like you were sent the bolt kit for a V7, instead of the 1400. I'll look for it tonight. If you can hang tight with it, do bring it and we'll put it on no charge for the confusion.

OK, it sure does sound like you were sent the bolt kit for a V7, instead of the 1400. I'll look for it tonight. If you can hang tight with it, do bring it and we'll put it on no charge for the confusion.

No problem. I'll keep it all in the box and bring it in next time. Thanks.

regarding the need for crash bars, how much protection do the foot platforms provide on the dreaded parking lot slow drop? I've seen other bikes where the platforms effectively perform as crash bars, but don't want to purposely lay the Cali down jus to see what touches the ground.

regarding the need for crash bars, how much protection do the foot platforms provide on the dreaded parking lot slow drop? I've seen other bikes where the platforms effectively perform as crash bars, but don't want to purposely lay the Cali down jus to see what touches the ground.

Not much because they fold up. I've had a couple of low speed drops and the crash bars and leather saddle bags take the brunt of it, also light scratches on the underside of the mufflers.

I just got the Moto Guzzi Engine guards as well for my MGX 21 and they didnt come with instructions. Did yours? Where can i get a copy of the instructions?

Ok I found those pics are from page 384 in California Service Manual. Ill try and use that as a guide.

Back