• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 iii whining

Joerg Stoeckner

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi folks,
I recently traded in my'11 V7-I Classic for a V 7 III Stone NIGHT PACK.
Love it so far, many improvements to the V7-I.
Would be fun to ride IF there wasnt that whining sound of the engine all the time when revving up.
Occurs in idle mode and in every gear, no matter clutched is pulled, or not.
Never had such prominent whining on the V7-I before.

It really drives me nuts as this whining, in particular in low speed, spoils the deep sonor V2 sound Guzzi was known for. I am starting to reget the deal ....

I tested another Stone at the dealer and it sounded akin to my V7-III. Also whining at a prominent level I never experience with my V7-I before.

I am now wondering
- if this a construction flaw with any bearing on the new V7-III engine and I have got to get used to that displeasing sound
- Or if the whining my disappear after running in the engine ?
- Or if I should object and claim for a fix.

And idea / experience on your end ?

Thx !!!

My V7III Racer whined a bit when I first got it. Now, about 5000 miles of run in later, it's just about gone. Third gear is still a trifle noisier than fourth or second. Most of the whine comes from the primary reduction gears between the crankshaft and the gearbox, and they're typical of new Moto Guzzis in my experience, even my ancient ones from the 1970s.

The V7III might have somewhat quieter mufflers than the V7-I Classic, which makes the gear noise more obvious.

If you want a laugh about gear whine, I recall fitting some beautiful straight cut timing gears to my LeMans V once upon an age ago. I expected some whine until they broke in and mated properly, but the banshee shriek they made when I fired it up was alarming and would not go away in 300 miles. Talking to Dave Richardson, he asked me what oil I had put in.

"Oh, I always run Mobil 1 10wt-15."
"That's the problem. That stuff is soo slippery and has such a tough film strength the gears will never break in. Drain it out and put some Castrol GTX 10wt15 in there."

I did so. The whine completely disappeared in 100 miles. Gave me a new appreciation for how good Mobil 1 really was. I dumped the Castrol GTX 400 miles further on and replace it with Mobil 1 again. :D

Haven't notices a whining from my V7 III Special but I don't hear so good in my old age and many many miles on a motorcycle behind me. The Triumph Daytona 675 I one owned went beyond a whine, more like a scream.

Paul

Great advise!! Thx Godfrey. So I need to be a tad more patient and let the engine break in, AND may seriously contemplate on replacing mufflers :) which I did already I admit comparing the stock exhausts sound with the open ZARDs I mounted to my old V7-I...

Anyway,
The V7 - iii stone night pack is such a nice machine, would be shame if it was ending up in disappointment.

I ll post the progress

cheers

Every time I get on the Racer and go for a ride, I marvel that this modern classic, with its oh so paltry 50 some odd horsepower by modern standards, makes such a beautiful and not obnoxious noise and goes so darn well. A set of good mufflers, elminating the horrid EVAP, cat-cons and SAS, upgrading the suspension to what it should be from the factory, and fitting modern radial tires with some stick just makes me laugh out loud when I chug down my favorite twisty road, or through dense traffic. No small part of that is Todd's excellent work with the engine control map: it is dead on the money for ignition curve and jetting. :)

Truly an amazing transformation from stock, which was pretty darn good to begin with!

I had my V7 up for sale but I went for a pretty good ride on the V7 yesterday and when I got home I removed the ad.
This little bike is the best fun:)

Update:
After the first 1000 mls inspection mechanics must have applied their magic as the above mentioned whining I wasnt happy with has reduced a great deal all of the sudden.

I’m a little confused by this thread. The OP seemed to be talking about an engine whine, but the responses seem to be addressing a transmission/gearbox noise. My engine sounds great, but the whining noise from the gearbox/final drive is super annoying.

I have just over 1000 miles on my V7 iii Special and I’m really enjoying it, but I’m not sure it will be a keeper for me due to whining noise. I love the overall “character” of the Guzzi but this particular noise is not a character trait I enjoy!

I know there has been an issue with some dealers confusing the gearbox and final drive oil and putting too little in the gearbox. But I personally changed out all of my engine and gear oils and the original oil levels were as they should have been. I did replace the factory oil in the gearbox with synthetic, so maybe I should drain and refill with mineral as somebody suggested.

I'm surprised that this isn't a more common complaint. So now I'm wondering if something is wrong with mine, or if I'm just super sensitive to this particular sound. Or do I just need to be patient and put on a few thousand more miles for the gears to break in?

Last edited:
Update:
After the first 1000 mls inspection mechanics must have applied their magic as the above mentioned whining I wasnt happy with has reduced a great deal all of the sudden.
Possible the timing chain was a bit tight for some reason, don't know if they would have gone in that far.

I find leaving the wife at home cuts out the whining.

Back