• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

brake light flicker - front brake lever play

pswiatki

Tuned and Synch'ed
I noticed my brake light flicker and was able to find the cause: front brake lever has just a bit too much free play and when I ride fast enough (on a highway, above 115-120 km/h - just above 70 mph) the wind pushes the lever enough for the microswitch to activate. Since there is no adjustment on the microswitch itself and it is mounted at a fixed position relative to the lever - how can this problem be addressed? Can I reduce the free play on the lever (so that the lever would not move enough for the switch to activate) or I risk that front brake could engage without my action on the lever? Perhaps it is just the matter of a worn switch that needs replacement? Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

You could try mounting the switch further away from the lever. You might have to get a little creative with the mounting arrangement. Try leaving the screws out, and securely fasten it in the new further away position with some good tape. Worth a try.

Edit: If that's too hard, replace it.

Thanks for your suggestion. However, this is a safety-critical part. If the tape failed and the switch did not activate I could be rear-ended in a much different way than last time (when I had the opportunity to test my freshly installed engine guards from Hepco&Becker - but it wasn't my stoplight that caused it). So, I shall check how I can move the switch and still have it securely screwed in.
By the way: I taped over the microswitch on the other side (clutch) because it came apart somehow. The tape was really good (TESA tape, a kind of silver duct tape) but that was good only for a season, or so. I guess it deteriorated on the rain and high winds. Still [sort of] holds the switch together, but I will have to replace the switch, I think. Perhaps I should also try a new switch for the brake.

Last edited:
You could cover your "safety-critical" issue by operating your rear brake in conjunction with the front, lightly if desired.

But your lack of an operating clutch switch is also a safety issue. Replace both would be a good starting point.

I would replace the clutch and brake switch. As the number of duct tape repairs begins to build, soon the bike becomes unreliable and dangerous. A few small repairs at a time is less overwhelming than a huge and expensive list all at once.

I would replace the clutch and brake switch. As the number of duct tape repairs begins to build, soon the bike becomes unreliable and dangerous. A few small repairs at a time is less overwhelming than a huge and expensive list all at once.

True, I fully agree - with one remark: I think the clutch microswitch is less of a problem, as it can only become a pain when the clutch is actually disengaged, but the cluster / ECU doesn't get the confirmation from the switch. Then it will refuse to start the engine when the gearbox is in gear. Am I right? That is: unlike the front brake microswitch (which is a safety concern) the clutch microswitch is less critical. Hmm... although I can imagine the situation where the engine stalls and must be restarted quickly (no time to put in neutral, just to pull the clutch lever) - that would be an issue...
Anyhow, I shall order the switches and put them on the bike.

By the way: had the flicker on the stoplight mounted in the GIVI top case - it was always present (at low speed, too) - turned out to be a bad assembly inside one of their fancy touch-connectors at the case to mount plate touchpoint. At least that one was easy to address.

I noticed my brake light flicker and was able to find the cause: front brake lever has just a bit too much free play and when I ride fast enough (on a highway, above 115-120 km/h - just above 70 mph) the wind pushes the lever enough for the microswitch to activate. Since there is no adjustment on the microswitch itself and it is mounted at a fixed position relative to the lever - how can this problem be addressed? Can I reduce the free play on the lever (so that the lever would not move enough for the switch to activate) or I risk that front brake could engage without my action on the lever? Perhaps it is just the matter of a worn switch that needs replacement? Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

On my '14 Stelvio there is a plunger type switch that touches the brake lever. I can wiggle it and get the light to stay on. Everyone has told me replace the small microswitch that has the spade connectors, that appears to be a separate part? Maybe yours has a similar part/switch?

Well, I will take a picture of the switch and post it here. I guess the best option, for now, is to get a new switch and try if it helps.

Had the exact same issue with brake light flickering. Rather than try and super glue a bit of plastic on the front brake lever as Robert did, a bit of 6mm fish tank hose works just as well (and I can't see it coming off in a hurry)

Attachments

• P1030648.jpg
    P1030648.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 13
  • P1030649.jpg
    P1030649.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 11
Back