• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Refurbishing my 2007 Norge

Tomorrow’s activity will be to apply some heat to the right upper exhaust retainer and see if I can get it off. I think the bottom one will be removed with a Dremel, although maybe heat and a pair of mole grips will do it...

You have done well. It is good the studs came out. New studs, washers, nuts, and gaskets shouldn't be too expensive. You can use double nuts to set the studs. When you are ready to put it together, you shouldn't need anything on the gaskets, but I would apply anti seize to the studs where the nuts go, but not where the studs go into the heads.

It is good the studs came out.
Two of them haven’t yet, but thank you

New studs, washers, nuts, and gaskets shouldn't be too expensive
Already got/ordered them.

I would apply anti seize to the studs where the nuts go
Absolutely. I will be fitting dome nuts, not the standard open things. I have a set of the standard nuts and it’s shocking how much the old ones have corroded away.

So today I’ve had an easier job to do than I expected.

I used my Dremel to slice a slot into what’s left of the nuts and then whacked them with a cold steel chisel & hammer to get them off
XP2Bdf4.jpg

The studs looked awful:
QcEqUbH.jpg

but after 20 seconds of heat from the blowtorch and then getting a good grip with a pipe wrench, out they came. They were, frankly, a bit reluctant, but they came out all the same. The exhaust gasket again looked pretty rubbish:
siD2GXq.jpg

Goodness knows how long that has been in there - maybe for the life of the bike.

I’m not sure what to do next. I shan’t be changing any fluids without warming the bike up and I think it might be a bit noisy at the moment <G>. I’ve things on order to replace the studs, nuts etc. and they won’t turn up for a day or two. I could look into why the horn isn’t working, I guess, but frankly I think that can wait until I’ve got the front end apart - I want to replace the fork oil. I was thinking of HyperPro springs too but they’re £120 and with the recent expenditure on the exhaust headers being the same amount I think that budget is now "otherwise allocated” as they say.

So I could get one of the forks off and start replacing fork oil, but that’s another of those no-idea-how-long-it-will-take jobs that may include many issues to resolve so, um, dunno.

I decided to take the nose fairing off (easy) and remove the front mudguard so that I could start on the forks. One of the bolts holding the front mudguard snapped off, thoroughly corroded into place. Arsebiscuits :(

For today I have called a halt to proceedings - it’s time for tea, Moto2 & MotoGP. I will go back to work on the forks later in the week or when time (and grandson’s visit) next allows.

Here's the problematic mudguard mounting:

EA74A6BE 663F 458C AC46 BE3D0A01F5F4

And now this has happened:

5FFC4DD4 1B32 45E2 B467 D18194D98452

The second is really irritating as it took no force at all to snap off the ball of the Allen key :(

And so the work on the Norge resumes... slowly. The exhaust on the Norge is getting some prep today - I have all the necessary parts now (I hope!) and a little time to do a little work on the bike. So I have taken the replacement downpipe-to-can junction piece and carefully scrubbed off any loose metal. The old (and damaged) gaskets have been removed and (not cheap) replacements sourced. I have taped off the parts of the junction piece that I don't want to paint (mounting points and where the oxygen sensor screws in). I have wiped it all down with white spirit. Soon there shall be an application of stove paint. It says it's for wood burners and parts that achieve a temperature of up to 600oC so hopefully it'll go on OK and stay on. I don't want to have to go back to this part again, it's too much of a hassle.

Some pictures after coat 1 of 3 has been applied.

SqdHuAY
JAZTIG2
WqXIpaW
IRpYZ6s
0zR4am1

Next question from me: is it easy to change the alternator belt? As I’m going to do the steering head bearings it seems to me I might as well do the belt as well.

As far as I can see the job involves taking the oil cooler and the horns off. Anything else about the job worth noting?

The oil cooler doesn't need to come off, just unbolted and shifted.
Well that's a help - thanks. Good to know.

I used a 4PK725 and the adjuster ended up half way.
That's an alternative to the M-G belt, I believe. I have a new belt from Gutsibits, bought before I learned there was an alternative so I shall fir that this time.

The Alternator pivot bold was a bit fiddly to reach. This job will be a walk in the park for you seeing what you've been doing lately.
Always good to know it's not difficult - thanks.

I've been making a list - not of naughty and nice (it's all naughty as far as I can see) - but of things I know for sure need doing on the Norge. In no particular order the list is:
  • Clean up cylinder heads
  • Change fork oil
  • Replace rocker cover gaskets
  • Replace double conrod on rear suspension (probably with this: https://tinyurl.com/y6g3brfn)
  • Replace bearings in rear suspension linkage wishbone
  • Change brake fluid in front brakes
  • Bleed rear brakes
  • Replace rough looking oil cooler hoses
  • Refit exhaust
  • Change engine oil
  • Repairs to fairing (one broken fastener, other issues may be found)
  • Anything else that comes up
I have already decided not to refit the exhausts until late in this list so that they don't get damaged while e.g. the forks are off for new oil or the rear suspension is in bits. Apart from that I'm vaguely daunted by the list but also wondering what order to do things in. I guess the cylinder head cleaning is first, specially around the ports, however after that it's all really down to how much time I have to spare.

EDIT:
I’ve been thinking about it. While the exhaust system is off I will clean up the area around the exhaust ports so it can go back on better. I’ll also whip the rocker covers off and replace the gaskets. The valves shouldn’t need doing after only 2,500 miles but if I have a moment spare (it’s a busy weekend) I shall just check the clearances. Might as well. Then prop the bike up and whip the forks off to change the oil in there. It’ll be an every-evening-in-the-garage activity after the weekend - or at least as many evenings as the Slim Controller will permit - for a while.

Last edited:
I could really do with some advice here...

This photograph was taken this afternoon, it’s the right hand cylinder exhaust port:

rrWvkSS.jpg

I have some paper roll stuffed in there to keep crud from going into the cylinder.

As can be clearly seen one of the dreaded previous owners (or a mechanic they employed) has liberally used some sort of exhaust paste / goo on the surface the gasket seats onto and round the walls of the port. It’s very solid and I’m finding it very hard to get it off. I am not keen on damaging the underlying metal for obvious reasons.

Has anyone any suggestions for what I might do to soften up this baked on gasket goo that wouldn’t damage the cylinder head?

I was thinking of painting it with PlusGas or with the ethanol/ATF mix previously suggested as an anti-seize fluid - not out of any great hope it might work but just to try to do something. I want a good clean mating surface before I bung a new gasket in there. [NB: sprayed the surfaces with ethanol/ATF mix last night & will again this morning]

Suggestions gratefully received!!

Last edited:
I would second that. The brass is softer than the port metal and won't damage it. A dremel tool will work well also.
Thanks to both of you for that suggestion. I had forgotten but I do have a Dremel and a box that came with it with a whole bunch of tips of one sort or another - there’ll be something useful in there to go at it with.

I suspect what you have there is compacted aluminium oxide. That bike must have been kept next to the sea somewhere.
But the same method of removal sould work.

Don't think I have ever seen a bike as young as that with so much corrosion. Bear in mind my Norge is the same age and lives ouside under a shelter all the time.

I suspect what you have there is compacted aluminium oxide.

No idea. I still think it's baked on exhaust paste or similar. I've had a spell with the Dremel today and the ports now look different.

Left hand port:
pagRvjT.jpg

Right hand port:
Kftj3AP.jpg

Neither looks beautiful, both look better than they did. I'll do a spot more with the Dremel and then call it a day on the ports. Next job will be to get the bike properly secured and the right hand fork out. I'm going to change the fork oil and not the springs (£££). While I have the fork off I shall try to drill out the remains of the front mudguard bolt that snapped off.

This bike certainly has experienced a lot of corrosion over it's life, as well, frankly, as some bodged & neglectful 'maintenance'.

Those Allen screws are stainless. I suggest you take it to a machinist and have him use a carbide tip to drill it out. Drilling by hand just won't work and those sliders are expensive. When you install new screws do coat the threads with an anti seize material.

Back