• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Riding in icy conditions

guzzisti91

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello all,
This is my last post for at least 12 months - i sold my nevada back in april due to a slipping clutch. I was also trying to get a job as a snowboard instructor & was too lazy to make chains for my beloved nevada.
Anyways, i intend to buy another Guzzi in Germany & take it to the slopes in Italy. Any tips? How are conditions there, & how do guzzis handle in such icy conditions?
All i found elsewhere was "don't ride in winter", but i may not have a choice & i'm not one to let cold weather hold me back:p
Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated

There is no bike made that handles well in icy conditions other than a motocross/enduro bike with ice racing studs. I would never take my Guzzi out in the ice or snow. I live at a ski resort in Quebec. I make a sand trail down the middle of my driveway and allow the heat of the sun to melt the ice and snow so I can get out to the street in late March. Here in Quebec it's actually illegal to ride between December 15th and March 15th unless you can find snow tires that fit your bike (they don't exist).
My advice would be to find a cheap AWD car to use as a ski bum mobile.

Here in Quebec it's actually illegal to ride between December 15th and March 15th unless you can find snow tires that fit your bike (they don't exist).
My advice would be to find a cheap AWD car to use as a ski bum mobile.
That got me thinking about the laws in Germany. I did see a bmw riding toward me in baden-wuertemburg in dec 2017, but i'm getting mixed reports of their laws in regards to this, so i've contacted the authorities there for an answer straight from the horse's mouth.
As for wanting to use a bike, i have my reasons; Australia drives on the left, & driving in Europe was terrifying for this reason. A bike will help me adapt, & if the Italians really are as crazy as they tell me, i can actually bail in a crash rather than be trapped inside for hours.
As with awd, i despise subaru & audi. So unless i can get parts for a crv there, fwd works fine, thank you very much

Having done more research, & contacting German & Austrian authorities on the matter, i can conclude that this is doable. I am yet to recieve word from the Austrians, but the German authorities told me that their strict winter tyre laws do not extend to motorcycles. The Italian laws are about as lax as they are here in australia, but the Swiss are, to my astonishment, even more relaxed! This means that if i can handle the bike, i can use it. Guzzis, i find, have a low centre of gravity, but progress may be painfully slow for such a large journey, but it is legal & doable if you are heading to Italy from Germany or vice-versa

Here is another issue for you. Motorcycle tires are formulated to operate at higher temperatures than car tires. The glass point is a term for when a tire doesn't provide adequate traction. The glass point for motorcycle tires is about 27 degrees Fahrenheit or or -3 Celsius. So even on a dry road, traction is very limited at low temperatures. Exceeding available traction will result in gravity winning.

Rubber formulation will be key. There are winter rated motorcycle tires, manufactured in Turkey. Anli or something similar. They have additional siping which is good and I'd expect the compound to be more cold biased. There is a YouTube of a shop in Canada testing them in cold/light sleet.
(Edit: Here ya go: )
You could consider Ural with sidecar for a little extra contact patch. Or Yamaha Riken, haha.

Last edited:
Back