• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III or T120 black?

Motivex7

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone, Im just looking for opinions on what everyone thinks about these two bikes.

I really want to get the V7 iii however am a bit concerned with reliability. Some common concerns I read were bolts getting loose, leaking oil, clutch/shifting issues, o2 sensor issues, cold starting issues, shifter becomes hard when hot. These have kind of turned me off of the v7 as it would only be my second bike so I do not have much experience with motorcycles. That being said I do have a dealer close by to my house.

My other option would be a t120 black which I have heard great things about and that it is a very smooth bike. If anyone has a t120 and would like to chime in on what they think about it, please do so.

I've had my V7III for 6k miles and haven't had any issues whatsoever. My friend has a T120 and in my opinion the V7III is a bit more forgiving of a bike to ride regarding throttle response and weight. Also the T120 is going to be a bit taller, if you're shorter like me, it's going to be harder to flat foot. I can just barely flat foot on my V7. Both bikes are ridiculously fantastic bikes though and I couldn't say anything bad about either. The T120 obviously has a bit more kick and power to it. Any time I ride his T120 I'm always so happy to get back on my V7. I just love the charm and feel of the engine of the V7. Hope my two cents helps ‍♂️ I'm obviously biased toward guzzis though!

I've had my V7III for 6k miles and haven't had any issues whatsoever. My friend has a T120 and in my opinion the V7III is a bit more forgiving of a bike to ride regarding throttle response and weight. Also the T120 is going to be a bit taller, if you're shorter like me, it's going to be harder to flat foot. I can just barely flat foot on my V7. Both bikes are ridiculously fantastic bikes though and I couldn't say anything bad about either. The T120 obviously has a bit more kick and power to it. Any time I ride his T120 I'm always so happy to get back on my V7. I just love the charm and feel of the engine of the V7. Hope my two cents helps ‍♂️ I'm obviously biased toward guzzis though!

That's great news that your V7 has been reliable. Maybe the others I read were just unlucky? Not sure.

I am 5'11 and have sat on the v7 and found it comfortable. I also like how the v7 based on reviews I've seen, is more capable in handling compared to the T120 being lightweight. Overall my brain says get the t120 but my heart says Guzzi haha.

I'll chime in here. Though I don't own either a V7III of a T120 Black, I do own both a Norge and a Triumph Thruxton. Different bikes, but same manufacturer(s). I've got about 18,000 miles on my Moto Guzzi, and it has been extremely reliable. Only thing I've done is tires and fluid changes. The exact same for my Thruxton, zero problems in 8,000 miles. I think in today's world, quality control is good no matter what bike you buy. A forum board like this tends to bring out the problems as few as they may be, thus magnifying the negatives. You will see the same thing on the Triumph boards.

I do all of my own work. If you don't, this is where the Triumph might have a bit of advantage since there are more Triumph dealers than Piaggio dealers. On warranty, when I bought my Norge it came with a two year warranty - not sure if this is still the case? Triumph was also two years. I never used the warranty on either bike.

Are you looking at the V7III Special? This bike in black with the silver wheels has to be the prettiest bike on the market right now. Understated elegance.

DNBaV_wWAAAgEm3.jpg

That's great news that your V7 has been reliable. Maybe the others I read were just unlucky? Not sure.

I am 5'11 and have sat on the v7 and found it comfortable. I also like how the v7 based on reviews I've seen, is more capable in handling compared to the T120 being lightweight. Overall my brain says get the t120 but my heart says Guzzi haha.

I think I got pretty lucky with not having any problems *fingers crossed* have you test ridden both of them? If not, you probably should. They feel pretty different. Also keep in mind that the V7 with new pipes and an ECU flash from Todd (along with a couple other smaller mods) feels like 100cc added to it in my opinion

I'll chime in here. Though I don't own either a V7III of a T120 Black, I do own both a Norge and a Triumph Thruxton. Different bikes, but same manufacturer(s). I've got about 18,000 miles on my Moto Guzzi, and it has been extremely reliable. Only thing I've done is tires and fluid changes. The exact same for my Thruxton, zero problems in 8,000 miles. I think in today's world, quality control is good no matter what bike you buy. A forum board like this tends to bring out the problems as few as they may be, thus magnifying the negatives. You will see the same thing on the Triumph boards.

I do all of my own work. If you don't, this is where the Triumph might have a bit of advantage since there are more Triumph dealers than Piaggio dealers. On warranty, when I bought my Norge it came with a two year warranty - not sure if this is still the case? Triumph was also two years. I never used the warranty on either bike.

Are you looking at the V7III Special? This bike in black with the silver wheels has to be the prettiest bike on the market right now. Understated elegance.

DNBaV_wWAAAgEm3.jpg
That definitely is a beautiful bike wow. Ive had my eye on the green or black stone, however I am really considering that special or perhaps the carbon dark.

In terms of dealers I've got 3 Guzzi dealers relatively close by to me and 2 triumph dealers close by. So dealer support Im not too concerned with. I have to agree with you on how forums can often magnify issues surrounding motorcycles and something I should definitely consider.

I think I got pretty lucky with not having any problems *fingers crossed* have you test ridden both of them? If not, you probably should. They feel pretty different. Also keep in mind that the V7 with new pipes and an ECU flash from Todd (along with a couple other smaller mods) feels like 100cc added to it in my opinion
So you have no issues finding neutral? or the bike not starting on cold days? Im in Canada, and although I won't run the bike in the winter, some days can be 5 degrees or so in the morning.
Yes, the ecu flash + pipes are definitely something I'd get if I chose the V7. Ive heard they make a very big difference. Also you dont mind me asking, what other couple small mods?

I have just over 7000 KM on my V7 III Anniversario without a single issue. She's been the perfect ride. I am 5' 11" and the fit is great, comfortable for an all day ride easily.

22000 km on my v7III now. No major issues.

I am very impressed by the reliability of the bike.
To be fair I think it's all in the same league. Modern bikes are all pretty good.
Sure a triumph is nice, but nothing beats a guzzi ;)

Three years on a Stornello V7 II and 5500 km, no issues.

With that said I really like the Triumphs too, beautiful bikes.

In forums like this you always get a concentration of faults/issues, thats what they are for.

Really do need to ride both & hopefully be able to put at least 50 if not 100 miles on before deciding.
Both brands have their own issues & both are easy to live with.

For me the Guzzi's have always had a lot more fun factor for a lot longer time.
By that I mean year after year the Guzzi makes me smile.
Altho I've never owned a Triumph I have ridden them quite a bit.
Both the Thruxton & the Bonny series were fun but within a hundred miles it became kinda boring.

If you decide to go Guzzi come back here & post what you bought.
Everybody on this forum will give you the heads up on known issues & how to solve every one of them.

Really do need to ride both & hopefully be able to put at least 50 if not 100 miles on before deciding.
Both brands have their own issues & both are easy to live with.

For me the Guzzi's have always had a lot more fun factor for a lot longer time.
By that I mean year after year the Guzzi makes me smile.
Altho I've never owned a Triumph I have ridden them quite a bit.
Both the Thruxton & the Bonny series were fun but within a hundred miles it became kinda boring.

If you decide to go Guzzi come back here & post what you bought.
Everybody on this forum will give you the heads up on known issues & how to solve every one of them.
Unfortunately where I live, there are no test rides for both the triumph and the Guzzi. So I kind of have to gauge my expectations on reviews. That being said, even on triumph forms people are saying to get the Guzzi if I have dealer support nearby due to character of the bike which honestly says a lot considering its a dedicated triumph form.

Stock, the Guzzi will have more character than the Triumph. Add a simple set of British Customs polished slip ons to the Triumph, and all things change... This from an old guy who likes quiet bikes. The Thruxton with the new mufflers is magic holding the upshifts. Spectacular music to the ears.

That being said, even on triumph forms people are saying to get the Guzzi if I have dealer support nearby due to character of the bike which honestly says a lot considering its a dedicated triumph form.
If you don't mind doing a bit of wrenching now and then you don't need a dealer close by. The bike is amazingly easy to work on. And there is so much support on this forum, you will find all the help you could ever need.

Unfortunately where I live, there are no test rides for both the triumph and the Guzzi. So I kind of have to gauge my expectations on reviews. That being said, even on triumph forms people are saying to get the Guzzi if I have dealer support nearby due to character of the bike which honestly says a lot considering its a dedicated triumph form.
That suxs. Each bike has a character of it's own and the only way to know what each brings is a ride. Perhaps you can hook up with some folks in your area that will be kind enough to allow you to take a ride on their bike?????

Are you an experienced rider? If so, what have you owned.

Paul

That suxs. Each bike has a character of it's own and the only way to know what each brings is a ride. Perhaps you can hook up with some folks in your area that will be kind enough to allow you to take a ride on their bike?????

Are you an experienced rider? If so, what have you owned.

Paul

Yeah its unfortunate, however I spoke to another dealer and maybe I could get a test on the Guzzi. Going to try a dealer thats further away for the triumph and see if they have any demos.
I currently own a Rebel 500 but it is too small for me. Not CC's wise, but actual space. I am content with the power it has, but its just too crammed and the 11L gas tank is too small for me.

I have owned 2 bikes before, but have riden R6's, CBR600rr, cb500f, GS500, S40'S, and some adventure style bikes.

Stock, the Guzzi will have more character than the Triumph. Add a simple set of British Customs polished slip ons to the Triumph, and all things change... This from an old guy who likes quiet bikes. The Thruxton with the new mufflers is magic holding the upshifts. Spectacular music to the ears.

Got to agree with that!
Had a Thruxton pass me that had aftermarket exhaust really sounded nice.

I agonized between two V7III models. Here's how I chose: Look at each (photo or in person). Which gives you a more emotional response? In my case, this purchase was purely for fun.
I have none of the problems you listed. No leaks, nothing changes when hot, neutral is ok, etc. I did have a catastrophic failure when the bike was an infant but it was handled well under warranty and has been rock solid for 4000 miles.

Thanks everyone for the input. Its definitely made me more confident in Moto Guzzi.
I recently heard a v7 with the guzzitech gp megs and I instantly fell in love. Thats one of the best sounding bikes i have ever heard. Since the motorcycle is mainly a luxury for me since where I am I can only ride for about 1/2 of the year, I think the heart choice of the guzzi makes sense. Most likely going to trade in my Rebel 500 next riding season here in Canada and get myself the v7 with the remap & pipes.

Back