• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Refurbishing my 2007 Norge

Which one of these values does the panel think is right for the fork caps?

m714xzt.jpg

kZi7TBL.jpg

I’m blowed if I can tell and it’s the last bit of the front suspension job. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't bother with a torque number too much. It is fine thread so it won't undo itself. Just give it a little nudge once hand tight and call it a day.

I actually nipped them up to 20Nm, which is not much more than “a little nudge” :)

I am careful to bag up all bolts I have removed and note on the bag where they came from. The bag for the alternator belt cover has 3 short bolts (I remember 1 was missing when I removed the cover) and 2 long bolts. Here's the set from one side:

enlDMFI.jpg

I have replacements and went to put the cover back on the day before yesterday. Blow me down but neither the old or replacement longer bolts will screw all the way into any of the six holes used to mount the belt cover. They'll screw in just about the length of the short screws.

This leads me to suspect these 2 longer screws don't belong in the alternator cover (or there's muck in the holes stopping them going all the way in). Experience of this bike has shown that what it was like on disassembly is not necessarily right for reassembly. I've looked on the Fowler's Parts site and the microfiches are a little unclear.

Could anyone with a knowledge of the 2-valve Norge please tell me if I should be putting 2 x short & 1 x long or 3 x short into each side of the alternator cover?

Last edited:
I have it, I just don’t trust it, not in the least because there are 6 screw holes in the alternator belt cover...!!

Gods I can be dim sometimes. 4 holes to just keep the cover on and 2 (with accompanying longer bolts) for the oil cooler mountings. Plus the horn. Garggghhh!!

Have been busy -- with riding Norge to Kentucky, etc. :clap:v-- thus have not had time to respond to some of your recent inquiries. OTOH, my anecdotal musings are less help (if not worse :rofl:) than the useful stuff others here contribute.

I only chime in now to say that I have an extraordinary collection of metric fasteners acquired over time such that if you cannot source locally or on the web, let me know and I'll see if I can find the right one.

Oh, WRT the alternator cover in particular, I am about to remove mine.

You may not have noticed in my statement, above, "riding Norge to Kentucky, etc.," that I did not say "and back." The "etc." was that I had to go back and get it last weekend and tow it home. "Dr. John" (the guy in the second pic is not THE Dr. John, but a great friend who agreed to a 1200-mile r/t in my little POS Toyota pickup, with no radio, A/C/ nutt'n except 227K miles! ;)) came along.

i-tVwgBQc-L.jpg

i-nDPZmks-L.jpg

Anyway, I think my alternator belt went south. Whatever happened, it brought my grand little trip to a doleful end, and that happened, of course, in the middle of BFE, Kentucky ... a somewhat redundant label. :giggle:

That is especially disturbing as, while I need to check records, I think I swapped that out only 20K ago. That means, I suppose, that I did something wrong in thew way of tension or the like. Grrrrr. :swear:

Off now to ride the Stornello and drown my self pity in back-road grins.

Bill

OK so this afternoon I have had some time to make a bit of progress.

First I put the alternator belt cover back on
0Lv5s4s.jpg

Then I cleaned and reassembled with new pads the front brake callipers:

a6kaOyP.jpg

Then I fitted these on both sides and refitted the calipers:

1b45dVe.jpg

I went to fit the oil cooler and then had a moment's panic until I found this:

Lfbbe5G.jpg

And then I used the secondhand hoses I bought to do this:
G5EOCMr.jpg

And this:

dnDhsLQ.jpg

So hopefully no more leaking hoses!

Oh the fun I had when I took the alternator belt cover off. (When the oil pump went TU).
Could I get it back on? Bolts refused to line up.
Suddeny realised it had shrunk. Had to heat it up to expand it to fit.

Oh, and I fitted just one Stebel Nautilus horn instead of the original weak example.

Oh the fun I had when I took the alternator belt cover off. (When the oil pump went TU).
I am not keen on the expense that a titsup.com oil pump would incur - but I'm also unhappy about the cost of preventative maintenance and at 61k miles I'm currently assuming that it it were a bad 'un, it would have needed attention by now. Is replacing it a big job and are the parts mega-£££?

Could I get it back on? Bolts refused to line up. Suddenly realised it had shrunk. Had to heat it up to expand it to fit.
Might explain why mine was a bit awkward to get back into place. Hadn't shrunk / changed enough to require anything other than a bit of wiggling, fortunately.

Oh, and I fitted just one Stebel Nautilus horn instead of the original weak example.
I'll bear that in mind should I need to change mine, thanks. For the time being I'll stay with what I've got (if only so I don't have to figure out what the DPO has done with their wiring changes).

Not suggesting your oil pump might be at risk, but it did happen to a few of the early models. The oil light helpfully came on to warn me. Not that difficult to replace, engine in frame still. Cost was about £220 but that was some years ago.
Getting the right timing cover gasket proved to be the most difficult thing.

Had an MOT tester whinge about the Nautilus once, I had to explain the difference between TWIN tone and TWO tone. These people are among us.

Not suggesting your oil pump might be at risk, but it did happen to a few of the early models.
Yeah, I’ve read about it happening. I’d like to think nice thoughts about my oil pump for the time being.

The oil light helpfully came on to warn me. Not that difficult to replace, engine in frame still. Cost was about £220 but that was some years ago.
Hmm, well that puts it firmly out of budget. The bike’s soaked up more than enough cash already - wildly increasing its cost overall - and another big wedge isn’t in scope for the time being (or foreseeable, frankly).

Getting the right timing cover gasket proved to be the most difficult thing.
Do tell why - Fowler’s and Gutsibits not stock it?

Had an MOT tester whinge about the Nautilus once, I had to explain the difference between TWIN tone and TWO tone. These people are among us.
And they do important things too :(

At that time I had Corsa Italiana close to me, who had one of the largest stocks of Guzzi parts in the country. This was before Fowlers were involved and spares were ordered direct from Italy. They have since gone under and Gutsibits bought up most of their stock.
There are at least 3 different versions of that gasket, same shape but different bolthole sizes.
They tried 3 times to get the right one from Italy. In the end I opted for the wrong one and had to emlarge a couple of bolt holes.

Back