• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7III First Service

I believe on the v7III they call for the first service at 900 miles in the manual. Maybe someone else will confirm or correct.

Yes, I can confirm that the first service is 900 miles and NOT 600. I contacted Moto Guzzi directly and they gave me written confirmation of the manual which stipulates 900 miles. It seems that some dealers are either confusing the first service mileage with many of the Japanese bikes or are engaged in dubious practices!

So I am almost up for second maintenance interval. The manual calls for it at 6,200 miles, but it is easier for me to remember every 5,000-mile interval. So far,

Engine oil - Motorex 10W60 - 2L

Gearbox oil - Royal Purple 75W-90 - 0.5 L

Final Drive oil - Royal Purple 85W-140 - 0.17 L

Brake Fluid - Motorex DOT 4 - 250 mL?? I am planning to do a brake flush, it has been two years

Oil filter, washers, crush o-ring

Spark plugs NGK CPR8EB-9 x 2

OEM Valve cover gasket - Is this needed?

Starter switch and all the switches - Double check for corrosion since I ride rain or shine?

Check all the nuts and bolts

Going forward, since I ride my bike rain or shine, and even park it in downpour rain at the office, I am thinking of replacing the fluids every season (6 months). Is this a little too extreme?

Also, went for a ride yesterday up the 154 at sunset. :)

Attachments

• 75435818_10107093587780302_4873421948215885824_n.jpg
    75435818_10107093587780302_4873421948215885824_n.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 14
  • 74211304_10107093587974912_6600046647143563264_n.jpg
    74211304_10107093587974912_6600046647143563264_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 72484701_10107093587870122_1671196088683462656_n.jpg
    72484701_10107093587870122_1671196088683462656_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 13
Brake Fluid - Motorex DOT 4 - 250 mL?? I am planning to do a brake flush, it has been two years.
Can't remember how much I used, but it was less than 1 full bottle. I just ended up doing both front and rear with ~1/3 bottle left.

Mine was a V7 so it had paper gasket, and torn when I replaced mine.

However, I read V7iii uses Rubber with steel core.

if you are careful, you can reuse them, but I would just grab them just in case...they cost like 5 bucks Canadian, so I don't see why not stock it.

Gearbox (the one that changes gears) is 75W90. The rear drive uses 85W140. Easy enough to service yourself. Just download a service manual for your bike.

Yeah - unfortunately the service manual is "lost in translation". It speaks of removing an 'air filter' from the gearbox (a mesh thimble up the drain hole). Diagrams unhelpful, should be obvious looking at the bike, one hole in, one hole out. Earlier gearboxes had a level plug. The V7 II does not seem to have one.
So it is drain and refill with 500ml of ENI ROTRA LSX 75W-90 (GL-5). I believe V7 III is the same.

So I am almost up for second maintenance interval. The manual calls for it at 6,200 miles, but it is easier for me to remember every 5,000-mile interval. So far,

Engine oil - Motorex 10W60 - 2L

Gearbox oil - Royal Purple 75W-90 - 0.5 L

Final Drive oil - Royal Purple 85W-140 - 0.17 L

Brake Fluid - Motorex DOT 4 - 250 mL?? I am planning to do a brake flush, it has been two years

Oil filter, washers, crush o-ring

Spark plugs NGK CPR8EB-9 x 2

Starter switch and all the switches - Double check for corrosion since I ride rain or shine?

Check all the nuts and bolts

Going forward, since I ride my bike rain or shine, and even park it in downpour rain at the office, I am thinking of replacing the fluids every season (6 months). Is this a little too extreme?

Also, went for a ride yesterday up the 154 at sunset. :)

Whilst the spark plugs are NGK CBR8EB-9 the "-9" means they come out of the box at 0.90mm gap which is far too wide and will cause missing at high revs. They have to be reset to 0.6mm to 0.7mm per the book of words.
Experiments my me found the gap is quite fussy and that 0.70mm gives best result. The extra nought "0.70" means 0.695mm to 0.705mm - spot on 0.70mm.

Regarding brake fluid - use a fresh unopened can. One that has been lurking in the back of the garage for the last seven years will be useless, absorbed water.
A small can should do the lot, but I have used up 250ml just doing a front that was full of eww-yuck and needed a lot of flushing.

Me, I try to stick to the recommended AGIP/ENI fluids. I've no idea if the formulation makes any difference but they're easy enough to obtain, and cheap enough, right-pond.

Just did first service a bit early (800 miles) and gapped the plugs to 0.9 as per page 220 of my user manual (V7III Special, 2019). I see users above saying .9 is too wide. What gives?

Just did first service a bit early (800 miles) and gapped the plugs to 0.9 as per page 220 of my user manual (V7III Special, 2019). I see users above saying .9 is too wide. What gives?

That is about 0.035 inch. That is a pretty big gap. Takes a great deal of voltage to jump that and the coils may not have enough rise time at high rpm. Try 0.025 inch and set the gap using a round wire gauge. Besides, spark plug gap increases with time as the electrodes erode.

I agree it's a big gap, but is it your experience these bikes run better at the smaller number? Why would MG recommend the larger number?

BTW, what the US calls a transmission, the rest of the world calls a gearbox. What we call a final drive, is a transmission to the rest of the world since it changes direction of rotation.
Ahem! Not quite correct. What we all call a final drive, Moto Guzzi calls a transmission. Many call it the diff(erential), which it isn't of course. I'm often guilty of that :worried:.
The rest of the world uses transmission and gear box almost entirely interchangeably.

Decided to go with Motorex Power Synt 10W60 - it meets the JASO MA, API-SG etc etc. I am thinking of adding the GT-X oil pan spacer to increase the oil capacity sometime down the road.
You don't need a JASO MA rating - the clutch is dry and the Tx has its own separate oil. The JASO rating won't harm anything, but you simply don't have any need to chase oils with that rating.

Back