• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 V7 won't fire up

Don Quixote

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello everyone. Today I've attempted to start the bike after 2 days and it won't fire up. Here is what happened:
Turned the key on, dashbord lights came on as usual, fuel pump engaged/heard the whirling sound, back light on (the headlight comes on after a second or so only after the engine is running) but once I pressed the start button...nothing!
No cranking noise from the starter whatsoever. Horn works and so are the turning signals. Battery is Ok, checked it with a volt meter, 12.3V, a little on the low side but it never failed to start the bike before. At any rate I connected a jump starter to it just in case but it didn't help at all. No starter noise, nothing. Complete silence!
Did a visual check and saw no wires disconnected, and the fuses are all Ok. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I believe that the problem is the starter relay. There are 3 relays under the fuel tank and from what I understand they're interchangeable. I will use the one for the headlight and see if the bike starts.

Update: I've switched the headlight relay with the starter one but no luck. It appears that the problem is elsewhere. While I was searching the wires I've discovered this one that is unplugged and I'm wonder ing where does it go. I'm attaching a few pics. Any ideas? Could this be the problem? Thanks

Attachments

• 20191028_134311.jpg
    20191028_134311.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 15
  • 20191028_133236.jpg
    20191028_133236.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191028_133149.jpg
    20191028_133149.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191028_133041_Burst01.jpg
    20191028_133041_Burst01.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191028_132948.jpg
    20191028_132948.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 13
Oh.. Okay. This eliminates that wire as a problem. So I'll try the wire trick tomorrow weather permitting. Also I'll re-check the switches although they seems to be fine.... By the way, where is the safety relay located at?

Sorry, no safety relay, the ecu determines. I was wrong.
Your relays are A) lite logic= wire color, two orange, one green/white, one purple/yellow
B) Start = wire color, two green/red, one purple, one blue/yellow
C) injector load= wire color, one grey/blue, one green/red, one red/brown, one red/white

Hello everyone. Today I've attempted to start the bike after 2 days and it won't fire up. Here is what happened:
Turned the key on, dashbord lights came on as usual, fuel pump engaged/heard the whirling sound, back light on (the headlight comes on after a second or so only after the engine is running) but once I pressed the start button...nothing!
No cranking noise from the starter whatsoever. Horn works and so are the turning signals. Battery is Ok, checked it with a volt meter, 12.3V, a little on the low side but it never failed to start the bike before. At any rate I connected a jump starter to it just in case but it didn't help at all. No starter noise, nothing. Complete silence!
Did a visual check and saw no wires disconnected, and the fuses are all Ok. Any suggestions?
Thanks
12.3v is a low battery.
The system is probably like other Guzzi's, and when a low voltage condition is detected the start attempt is aborted.
A lead acid battery should have 12.8 volts fully charged. A small difference, but an important difference.
Low voltage would be around 12.5 volts, down at 12.3 volts probably isn't enough voltage to start the bike.
When the system detects low voltage and aborts the attempt, there may be no noise, no indicator that an attempt was even made. If the voltage wasn't enough to even try, it won't try.
Put the battery on a charger, but you may need a new battery.

Update/Good+bad news.
I wiggled the wires from the start button/kill switch box and the starter kicked. I opened it up and cleaned the contacts + lubed the spring in there.
Put a fully charged battery and the bike started up. However...
It runs rough, idle is low at or less than 1000 RPM ! Engine warning light is on. Left side cylinder seems to be fireing less enthusiastically than normal. What gives? New spark plugs were installed this spring. Everything was working fine last week until Sat. when the bike wouldn't start/no starter noise period.
I checked the starter relay and was fine. To do this I moved the gas tank obviously and is it possible that somehow now it pinches the fuel line to left cylinder? I'm baffled.

I'm too lazy to go back to the beginning but did you do the NGK spark plug cap conversion cutting 1/4" off the plug wire and screwing them on tight. did you get rid of the charcoal canister? if so is there a vacuum leak.

Nope... I didn't do any conversion plug wire cutting because they snapped right in tight. As far as the charcoal canister I'm not sure whether is out or not as I'm not the original owner. As I have mentioned the bike ran fine until Sat. when it refused to fire up and now it runs but barely. Spark plugs were changed in May or June.

Had a few free minutes today and checked the spark plug on the left cylinder, the one that runs half-heartedly. It looks good. However I've discovered some damage to the spark plug wire/photos attached. Could this be the problem? It doesn't look as if the wire damage extended past the wire insulation. Tomorrow I'll check the air filter box for excessive oil accumulation and also hook up the diagnostic program.

Attachments

• 20191105_124510~2.jpg
    20191105_124510~2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191105_120642~3.jpg
    20191105_120642~3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 13
PROBLEM SOLVED!
Can anyone guess how I got to the bottom of it? Hint: a very simple task ;)

Very close V700Steve :)
The darn thing was disconnected! And tucked in there not visible at all. Now this is kind of strange because even though the bike shakes it doesn't do it to the extent that warrants this to disconnect on it's own. Furthermore there was no work done on the bike to attribute this to a forgetful tech or myself. I simply rode the bike, parked it, let it cool down then went and put the cover on after half hour or so. Then a day or so later the bike wouldn't start...no cranking noise whatsoever. That was solved by cleaning the inside of the start/kill switch box. Then this weird firing happened. I'm just wondering if perhaps some asshole did this while the bike was left uncovered for 20...30 minutes? Because I've tried to disconnect the plug and it takes a little effort, very unlikely it would do so on it's own due to vibration. But anything is possible so lesson learned:
1. Check all connections/connectors because most of the time it's just a simple thing.
2. Keep an eye for possible assholes (plenty of them here in the Gotham City)
To all of you many thanks again. Capture 2019 11 07 08 55 09

There should be a metal wire clip that holds the electrical connector to the injector. With it missing, the connector can vibrate off leaving a non functional injector. See if your local dealer has some kicking around. They might even put it in for you.

What he said. That looks to be one of the connections to the injectors, and they should have a metal clip that prevents them from coming off without first removing the clip.

Back