• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sump bolt stripped. Damn, blast and bugga.

John L

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
Changing the oil today and the thread stripped in the sump and I wasn't using any excess force. 50,000kms and I've changed the oil every 5,000 so it has been in and out around 10 times. So question is, has anyone removed the sump and can it be done with engine in situ (fingers crossed). Also is it just the 14 bolts around the edge and oil pipe at rear, or are there any hidden ones or tricks to getting it off. TIA, John.

Last edited:
It looks like a lot of work to remove the oil sump.
The same thing happened to me in August. This happened to another here in the forum also....I got very lucky. The thread on the original plug is a 10 x 1.25 or 10 x 1.5 thread. It is quite coarse. I had a 10 x 1.0 bolt and cut it down and deburred it a tad longer than the original. I wrapped it with some teflon tape and with the bike raised up in the front ( to provide more access) CAREFULLY screwed it in straight and could feel the threads cross threading...btw; I used a copper washer from a brake line Banjo fitting as a seal. When I felt it snug up I stopped ! I then used a paint stick to mark its location. ...It's been over 3K miles with no problems...I believe it is going to hold up for the next oil change.

If you like working on the floor or up in air. Pan comes off w/14 and 4 around filter flange. If you want to remove filter flange it's 4 more to the block. So, it's still 18 bolts to remove pan.

If you like working on the floor or up in air. Pan comes off w/14 and 4 around filter flange. If you want to remove filter flange it's 4 more to the block. So, it's still 18 bolts to remove pan.

Can the pan be removed out of the frame?
It certainly doesn't look so.

Don't like having to do It Steve, but don't really have any other choice. If it will come out through the frame I will attempt it, but if the engine has to be removed that's going to be beyond my capabilities.

Can the pan be removed out of the frame?
It certainly doesn't look so.

It looks tight sir fred, but it looks like it might just be possible, there is a bit of wiggle room.

Having a fresh look at it, it looks like it might be possible to take it out sideways between the crankcase and frame tube if I remove the exhaust on one side.

Last edited:
It looks tight sir fred, but it looks like it might just be possible, there is a bit of wiggle room.

Having a fresh look at it, it looks like it might be possible to take it out sideways between the crankcase and frame tube if I remove the exhaust on one side.

Please keep me informed. My "fix" is intended as temporary. Mine stripped two days before I was to leave on a trip and luckily it worked.

Please keep me informed. My "fix" is intended as temporary. Mine stripped two days before I was to leave on a trip and luckily it worked.

Well sir fred, it seems there is no easy way. There are self tapping oversize drain plugs but I can't find a 10mm one, plus I'm a bit concerned it will leave aluminum cuttings in the sump. So I bit the bullet in the end and removed the sump, which means removing the lower frame rail assembly under the sump, which in turn means removing the the footrest hangers and exhaust system a true PIA. I left the 2 rear bolts in the rail assembly and used a car jack for support and a strap and roof beam to raise the front of the bike until there was room to slide it out. I'm looking at getting a Timesert insert put in, they seem to be a step up from the helicoil and there's no way I want to have to do this again. I left the left hand header attached because it was a good place to prop a length of timber against for extra support.

Attachments

• sump2.jpg
    sump2.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 83
  • sump4.jpg
    sump4.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 88
  • sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Well sir fred, it seems there is no easy way. There are self tapping oversize drain plugs but I can't find a 10mm one, plus I'm a bit concerned it will leave aluminum cuttings in the sump. So I bit the bullet in the end and removed the sump, which means removing the lower frame rail assembly under the sump, which in turn means removing the the footrest hangers and exhaust system a true PIA. I left the 2 rear bolts in the rail assembly and used a car jack for support and a strap and roof beam to raise the front of the bike until there was room to slide it out. I'm looking at getting a Timesert insert put, in they seem to be a step up from the helicoil and there's no way I want to have to do this again. I left the left hand header attached because it was a good place to prop a length of timber against for extra support.

Thanks for the heads up, John.
A follow up would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry John, looks like a total pain in the ass to do. Of course the bright side is that you appear to have a proper place and the skills to do it. Good luck with it.

If this happen to me, good bye moto Guzzi for good.

A steel bolt that's frequently screwed in and out in an alloy thread is not a good idea but most manufacturers seem to do it not only Guzzi. Google sump plug repairs it is a common problem.

A steel bolt that's frequently screwed in and out in an alloy thread is not a good idea but most manufacturers seem to do it not only Guzzi. Google sump plug repairs it is a common problem.
I had many motorcycles in the last 43 years and this never happend to me so I keep my fingers crossed.

Absolutely - take care with those spark plugs too - same potential problem, but with even more delicate threads

This happened to me many years ago on a different brand of bike. I just used the next size thread tap to enlarge and thread the hole. I rinsed out any shavings with fresh motor oil, and all was well. Quick and simple.

Access is the problem.

So I bit the bullet in the end and removed the sump, which means removing the lower frame rail assembly under the sump, which in turn means removing the the footrest hangers and exhaust system a true PIA. I left the 2 rear bolts in the rail assembly and used a car jack for support and a strap and roof beam to raise the front of the bike until there was room to slide it out.

John,

I see you removed the left-hand floorboard as well as the right hand one. I understand that you removed the right hand floor board (and exhaust, etc.) to provide a passage for the oil sump pan. Why did you remove the left hand floor board? Was this needed to access screws in the sump pan?

John,

I see you removed the left-hand floorboard as well as the right hand one. I understand that you removed the right hand floor board (and exhaust, etc.) to provide a passage for the oil sump pan. Why did you remove the left hand floor board? Was this needed to access screws in the sump pan?

Needed to move the left hand exhaust out of the way to get access to the 2 bolts on the rear left hand side of the frame rails. All the oil pan bolts can be accessed in situ with a long T bar allen key once the oil cooler is out of the way. I dropped the sump first hoping I could squeeze it out by just removing the RH exhaust but it's not possible.

Back