• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT Mods Thread

I confirm Chris's remarks reference the heated grips replacement throttle body action being lighter on the wrist than the original. Much better - it's as the bike should have been from the go - perfectly weighted now.

In an attempt to improve the harshness of the ride on UK roads, I reduced the rear and front rebound damping to minimum initially, then later added a quarter turn on the adjusters - the ride is much more plush and suits the bike's nature. From backed fully off, to factory settings there seems to be latitude to get the riding acceptably well if you can't push to a Matris replacement. It's good to know the adjuster actually do something noticeable regards the ride on standard shocks and forks.

I've always been slightly dubious of the claims made by 'Booster Plug'. But being a consummate tinkerer I couldn't help myself. Fitted it last Saturday, it's slightly fiddley but still only took around 15mins. Set off in the heavy rain and immediately the bike felt slightly different. My bike is fitted with QD exhaust and Y piece and did have some popping on the overrun, the popping, although it didn't bother me, has not been totally eliminated, but it's considerably less.
I feel the bike now pulls better from around 3000rpm and definitely accelerates slightly quicker. The other noticeable thing was how it seems to pull better on those 6th gear overtakes.
It may well be some sort placebo effect, but the bike generally felt better and I'm happy with that. I didn't think there was much wrong with the fuelling, but it now definitely feels better.

I've been thinking about fitting one of these Booster Plugs to my V85. Did you buy yours through a UK stockist or direct from the manufacturer?

Just FYI... sensor "foolers" are risky at best. If you use them, I highly recommend getting air/fuel data checked (local dyno operators typically) as to what it’s actually doing. It somewhat amazes me what WAG products people will blindly put on new and high $ machinery, but to each his own. ;)

Well, the mating connectors arrived and they were the wrong size! Damn! I had removed the tank, so continued with a kluge and finally have the Oxfords connected to the V85 connectors. Yes, they appear to work fine, I have the heated grips icon appearing in the dashboard, with three heat settings (+off) available. Not able to go for a long ride, but I have one scheduled in a couple of weeks, which should now be more pleasant.

For those continuing to chase the Molex connector, it's measurements are 5mm wide, and 8.4mm high, from the rectangular end to the pointed top. The pins are 1.5mm diameter. I couldn't find a suitable model on the interweb, hence the kluge.
Hi Dave,
I wanted to go with the OEM grips to keep it a simple plug & play, but like you I'm not keen on paying the dealer to "calibrate" the throttle. I think I'll pick up a set of Oxfords and save some $$.
A few ?'s.
When connected to the harness did the bike recognize the connection and start working on their own? I would rather not have to use the Oxford controller.
I may be dense here, but what is a "kluge"? I'm guessing it's where you made the connection?
Not sure what size to order-any idea what yours are?
Thanks for any info, Kris

Yes, despite my apprehension, there is no problems with using the Oxfords with the dashboard controller. The heated grips icon appeared in the dashboard as soon as they were connected, and each push of the heated grips button increments the heat in three steps. Yay!

Wikipedia describes a kluge as "a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain". I was probably a bit hard on myself, there was nothing clumsy about my installation, I just didn't have the mating connectors for the Guzzi wiring loom, but I did have pins that fitted in, and they were covered in heat shrink. The grips themselves can still be unplugged if required at the Oxford connectors.

Hi Dave,
Not sure what size to order-any idea what yours are?

Are you talking about the grips or the heated grips connectors to the V85 loom? The Oxfords grips I used were the OF691 Premium Touring Heated Grips, which fitted fine after removing the existing grips. Unfortunately, I destroyed the LH one getting it off the bar, it was probably glued on which is what is required for the Oxford grips too.

To connect to the V85 wiring loom I used a couple of 2.7mm dia x15 mm long connection pins I had lying around, connected to a mating connector for the Oxford plugs. My notes say part number PP2020 but I can't recall the manufacturer.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Yes, despite my apprehension, there is no problems with using the Oxfords with the dashboard controller. The heated grips icon appeared in the dashboard as soon as they were connected, and each push of the heated grips button increments the heat in three steps. Yay!

Wikipedia describes a kluge as "a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain". I was probably a bit hard on myself, there was nothing clumsy about my installation, I just didn't have the mating connectors for the Guzzi wiring loom, but I did have pins that fitted in, and they were covered in heat shrink. The grips themselves can still be unplugged if required at the Oxford connectors.

Are you talking about the grips or the heated grips connectors to the V85 loom? The Oxfords grips I used were the OF691 Premium Touring Heated Grips, which fitted fine after removing the existing grips. Unfortunately, I destroyed the LH one getting it off the bar, it was probably glued on which is what is required for the Oxford grips too.

To connect to the V85 wiring loom I used a couple of 2.7mm dia x15 mm long connection pins I had lying around, connected to a mating connector for the Oxford plugs. My notes say part number PP2020 but I can't recall the manufacturer.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Dave, thanks for the detailed reply. I think I'll just order some Oxford replacement grips (touring) and wire them in to the stock wiring harness, no need to spend $ on a controller if not needed.
Thanks again for all your help!
Kris

We know that Oxford grips have five heat settings when using the Oxford controller. When wired into the Guzzi harness, we're left with three heat settings.

So, which heat settings are the three? 1-3? 3-5? 1,3,5? How would one know?

Since when has Oxford grips had 5 heat settings? I've only ever experienced three.

Since the latest gen, which have been on the market for several years.

oxford-v8controller-1-700_350x300.jpg

You're right, I just can't count.

Then to answer your question, 100% = 3, 50%-75% = 2, 30%-40% = 1.

Of course, you can still use the Oxford controller if you want to, just another object to clutter the handlebar area. Does make the connections a lot easier.

It's just a guess. I could have measured the current current on each setting, but I'm too lazy.

For what it's worth, I have the Oxford controller on my Griso 1200 SE as there was no heated grips ability offered with the Griso wiring loom. I don't feel it is any better to have more settings.

Just use the Oxford controller with its greater number of settings. You'll never be happy with just three.

I am going for Koso heated grips. Have Oxffords on my old bike, and they are splendid, however the Koso is so much more good looking on my expensive, dear bike.

Just make sure that the current that the Koso grips demand are similar or less than the Guzzi or Oxford versions. Too much current might destroy your dashboard circuitry. There is plenty of discussion on this thread regarding this concern.

After some research I bought the R&G fork protector kit, model FP0020BK. Very pleased with the fit and looks.

By popular request, Luigi from Mandello makes another guest appearance....

IMG 1968 IMG 1997 IMG 2003 IMG 1977 IMG 1994 IMG 1990

When I first saw the V85 from across the floor I was very excited to get up close. But then I saw the TFT display. Damn it, will someone make an ADV bike with traditional gauges? I’ll take the V7’s tach and speedo on an ADV Guzzi please.

Just FYI... sensor "foolers" are risky at best. If you use them, I highly recommend getting air/fuel data checked (local dyno operators typically) as to what it’s actually doing. It somewhat amazes me what WAG products people will blindly put on new and high $ machinery, but to each his own. ;)
Hi Todd, I'd be very interested as to why you think 'Booster plugs' are risky. Serious question, I'm not trying to incite a long debate.

Back