• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Starter switch fail - No Power - Power Loss

I suspect the battery. There is a good battery thread here that helped diagnose weird behavior last winter that turned out to be a weak battery. I replaced mine with a lithium just for piece of mind and weight savings. Solved.

Ok, here is how it all turned out. I kept a log for about a month of starting issues and clearly there was a correlation between low battery charge and the starting issue. Tried to start bike last weekend: bike completely dead, so I went to local auto-parts store, got a new Yuasa replacement battery, carefully set the battery up and charged it, and installed on bike. Poof: all starting problems gone. I also realized my leather gloves touch the left side of the starter switch: also part of the erratic issue, so now I start the bike with naked thumb, then put on gloves. Switch works best if pressed on far right side. Finally, I am spraying my starter switch with electronics cleaner after every ride to drive out moisture from our ultra-humid Houston climate. Saw no strong reason to spend extra $200 on lithium battery, wait to install, and also have to buy another charger. V7 III Special is not a racing bike, so I don't care about weight. All is good in Guzzi land, and the bike is running beautifully after full tune up by Mike Haven of MPH here in Houston.

hello everyone , had my v7 iii special new from last year , beautiful bike , mostly very happy . However just few months after buying I experienced sudden engine cut out and complete power loss whilst out riding one day , ( not a fun thing to experience when on the dual carriageway doing 60mph ! Took it in to be checked over and was told one of the sensors needed re - setting . Ok , all was fine , until several weeks ago it happened again . Back in for a service and told problem difficult to detect , may or may not happen again . It happened again today just 3 days after it's service . My dealer will take the bike back and take the matter further but I am dreading the drawn out wait that I may have to experience . Everything Guzzi / Italian related can unfortunately be so painfully slow . Please can anyone help , I have read similar posts regarding engine cut out and flashing warning lights on earlier v7 models . PLEASE don't let this be a bad bike buy !

so did you have flashing lights?
my first guess is a bad ignition switch or the connecting wires.
hello vagrant , thanks for your response , very much appreciated . I had flashing lights when it first happened last year , the bike would cut out then suddenly kick back into life , cut out again then kick back in and then run fine . After this I had the bike checked over by the dealer and was told one of the sensors needed re - setting ,programming , whatever it is . Bike then ran good until recently this year . Out on ride one day and suddenly without any warning lights coming on , bike just goes dead , completely cuts out . I roll to a stop , turn the ignition off and then on again , usual flashing lights come on , I fire up and she runs ok for rest of journey . Again I take it in for a service , they detect front speed sensor fault too long duration pressure , clear fault codes which were in the system as past codes , checked all wiring and connections , nothing loose . No recalls or bulletins . No fault codes in the ECU . Valve clearance done , test ride and running good . Two days later I am out riding and the bike suddenly goes dead AGAIN !! Same as before , no flashing lights , just cuts out then fires up again . NO , I AM NOT ACCIDENTLY HITTING THE KILL SWITCH . It's a brand new bike , near enough , and I should not really be experiencing this crap . It's also pretty scary when I am on the motorway or main road riding at speed with traffic behind me ! Hoping I could fix it myself as I could be waiting ages if the dealer takes it back in . Thanks , Stu .

Again i would reach down and fiddle with the key while ridding down the road. if you can safely reach the wiring harness do the same and also tap the housing the kill switch sits in.
I could be mistaken but I think I remember somebody having a solder connection fail on the back of another V7 switch. try googling it here.
Other than that I'm lost. do you have a lemon law there?

Again i would reach down and fiddle with the key while ridding down the road. if you can safely reach the wiring harness do the same and also tap the housing the kill switch sits in.
I could be mistaken but I think I remember somebody having a solder connection fail on the back of another V7 switch. try googling it here.
Other than that I'm lost. do you have a lemon law there?
thanks vagrant , I will try those things . Cheers

If everything is dying, then I would suspect the 30A fuse (F6). Bad connection in the holder or intermittent fuse. Worth replacing as an elimination check.
thanks kiwi dave , checking all fuses and connections this weekend . cheers , much appreciated .

Hey everyone, came across this today. My guzzi was idling to warm up and the check engine light came on. When I went to turn the bike off with the key the bike continued to run after the key was removed from the bike. In the Speedo it stated "Alarm Ga service" then the bike would shit off. I played with the ignition a few times and when the check eng light went out finally the bike would start and shut off normally. No other problems with the bike? Do I have a bad ignition?

Hey everyone, came across this today. My guzzi was idling to warm up and the check engine light came on. When I went to turn the bike off with the key the bike continued to run after the key was removed from the bike. In the Speedo it stated "Alarm Ga service" then the bike would shit off. I played with the ignition a few times and when the check eng light went out finally the bike would start and shut off normally. No other problems with the bike? Do I have a bad ignition?
Yes, it has been well covered here. The wires have likely come unsoldered. The Alarm showed because you removed the key.

hey Todd. will this cause the engine light? a lot of the guys here are saying it just causes the bike not to start? looking though the tech manual there is no "code" for the ignition switch? would it be like a lost of power code?

hey Todd. will this cause the engine light? a lot of the guys here are saying it just causes the bike not to start? looking though the tech manual there is no "code" for the ignition switch? would it be like a lost of power code?
It might, especially if you removed the key. About all I can post on here without seeing the bike. Thread merged, start with the first post here.

Have you seen more of these Todd? Is it pretty easy to get into the solder contacts?

Last edited:
Hello everyone
I have a V7/2 and I have no power when I turn the switch. Nothing.
Checked the battery and it reads 12.7
Replaced all fuses under the seat.
Sprayed the lock abd tried many times.
Nothing happened.
Measured the yellow 20 fuse wires behind the filter with battery connected and they read 9.5 volts.

i am stuck. Any ideas?

(pulling off the fuses makes clicking sounds on the various mechanisms they are connected to so could this be a key switch issue? )

Any help much appreciated.

Back