• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tonti Guzzi for a Tall Rider

JAS

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi:

For a few years now I have been looking on and off at buying a Tonti framed Guzzi, however I am tall (188cm / 6ft 2 inches) and have a chronic lower back pain condition which makes comfort a priority for any purchase.

I really like the look of the 1000sp/nt and the T4 with the fairing and comfort, however I have read for riders over 6ft / 183cm they are not very comfortable, being quite cramped. I have heard the later Tonti framed bikes have a taller frame which is more suitable for taller riders, unfortunately I really don't like the looks of the later model Tonti bikes (apart from the mkV le mans and the 1000s [which is not an option as they are ridiculously expensive here in Australia]).

My question is to all those tall riders out there, is the 1000sp/nt and the T4 too cramped for comfort in your opinion? What about the Mk5 Le Mans, how comfortable is it? Is it still very sporty with a lot of weight on the hands? Are there any other options I should look at?

I am basically looking for a Tonti framed sports tourer that has a fairing for weather protection but has some sporting ability and is reasonably comfortable for a tall rider.

For reference I currently own a MG 1200 Sport and an MG Sport 1100. I find the 1200 Sport pretty comfortable, with the right amount of weight on the bars / seat / pegs, about the only criticism I have is the seat could be higher so I could have more seat to pegs room. The Sport 1100 has a good seat height and seat to pegs room, however the lean over to the handlebars is way too much putting a lot of pressure on my lower back and as a result I will probably sell it soon. In short I like a moderately leaned forward position like the 1200 Sport where I can balance my weight between the bars, seat and pegs. I have ridden cruisers for short periods, apart from not liking the looks, I found the riding position very uncomfortable, putting too much weight on my back.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Jas, Have you tried an EV series bike? The seat on the 1200 Sport can be modified to be taller. I had the saddle raised on my 1100 Breva. The seat maker added high density foam below the soft foam and made a new cover.

Even a stock Breva or Norge seat will be taller than the 1200 Sport seat. It seems they removed a lot of the foam in the 1200 Sport for reasons unknown to me.

Despite this, I also prefer the 1200 Sport seat over the Breva or Norge version. I'm not that short (5'10").

You could instead consider the lower footpegs kit such as Knights to provide a little more leg room.

I can understand your preference for the Sport seat as the foam on the Breva and Norge is too soft and you end up on the seat pan. For old guys like me I needed the extra space between seat and pegs for opening up knees and hips. I didn't want to sacrifice ground clearance and impact the peg to control relation so I raised the seat.

For a few years now I have been looking on and off at buying a Tonti framed Guzzi, however I am tall (188cm / 6ft 2 inches) and have a chronic lower back pain condition which makes comfort a priority for any purchase.
I'll save you the money... if you have a lower back issue, no twin shock bike will be good for you. The CARC monoshock is about as good as it gets. While I love the BB Tonti's (and always will), my back issues have largely kept me off of them these days. Same goes with the new 1400 unfortunately.

Thanks for the collective advice.

I am running Norge pegs on my 1200 Sport which I think are a bit lower, and more importantly have a rubber upper surface (my feet kept sliding of the standard metal pegs). Also I use an Airhawk seat cover on my bike which effectively raises the seat height and really improves comfort on long rides. I think I will in the long term get the seat raised as I agree with John, I don't want to lower the pegs and compromise the ground clearance.

Todd, having ridden other older bikes (twin shock r75/5 BM that my father used to own) I don't get pain much from road bumps (within reason, am sure a rigid rear end bike would cause a lot of pain), it is mainly the riding position, I need to be leaned forward a bit so I can brace my weight between the seat and my hands and the foot pegs, but not too much lean forward. I'm not too concerned anyway, this will just be a second bike to my 1200 Sport, I would not trust a 25-30 year old Guzzi enough to ride too far from home :)

Anyway having looked through my Guzzi books last night for bikes with the bigger frame (launched with the LM4) and what looks like a sports tourer riding position, I came up with this list:
- SP2
- SP3
- T5
- Mille
- Strada

Am going to aim for a later version of the sp2 (1986-87) as it has the 18 inch front wheel, I like the looks and it has the medium valve engine which I have read is a good compromise between power and flexible power delivery / lower maintenance requirements. Anyway given there are not a huge amount of these bikes around, will have a look at any of these models that come up.

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:
Hi Jason.
I too am 6"2/3 and own a 1200 sport.
I'm good for 40 miles or so, before my back starts playing up. (I also suffer chronic back pain)
At the same time, it's much more comfortable than a lot of bikes I've ridden, worst being a triumph 595. Now that's a back destroyer!
Other than an armchair softailed chop, the 1200 sport is a great bike for an achy old man!

I have a similar dilemma - interested in a Spada NT but I'm 6'4" with a 34" inside leg.

Sadly, I can't get to it to try it out. Am I right in thinking it really isn't going to fit?

Cheers,

Simon

I have a similar dilemma - interested in a Spada NT but I'm 6'4" with a 34" inside leg.
Sadly, I can't get to it to try it out. Am I right in thinking it really isn't going to fit?
Hi Simon, plenty of taller riders than you that happily ride a Tonti. You may need some minor modifications like perhaps a taller seat from a local upholsterer, but that is a simple one. Would this be your first Guzzi?

Ah, that sounds very hopeful. Yes, first proper big block. I had a bad experience with a V75 some years ago but have always wanted one of the big, round barrel bikes

Ah, that sounds very hopeful. Yes, first proper big block. I had a bad experience with a V75 some years ago but have always wanted one of the big, round barrel bikes
OK, V75 small block then? If yes, that is a tiny frame compare to the big block Tonti. Don’t think you’ll go wrong if the bike is solid otherwise, knowing you may to spend a little more to set up the bike ergos to your liking.

Back