• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 820cc 2V Big Bore Kit '09-16

I...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
749 to 820cc!
This thread is dedicated to our drop in GT MotoCycles® 820cc pistons for any '09-16 V7 models - click pic below for details or HERE. We will offer GTM® flow-ported heads for even more power.
I may also offer a cylinder core/swap for a complete turn-key kit, but if you're interested in it short term, grab the pistons now, and I'll honor the kit cost. Lead time once these are sold out is ~12 weeks.

Dyno graph below shows stock V7 (blue trace - 36 rwhp), GTM 820-2V (green trace with ported heads ~45 rwhp -- and below for ~51.5 rwhp) and GTM Quattrovalvole @749cc (no longer available ~55 rwhp) or see our GTM Quattrovalvole 820cc @~67 rwhp) dyno HERE.
OEMV7 8202V 8204V

Newest graph below on our in house Dyno with a 2015 V7, GTM ported heads, GTM 820cc 2V pistons and our GTM 2>1 exhaust:
DB8FD8B8 5F3E 44F0 B041 35E4492B7E5C

Todd,
Question: does the install have to be done at your shop, a dealer location, or can the kit swap be handled in the home garage?

I am very happy to see that you are developing this system into the full 4V kit with heads. The availability of the kit is pushing me closer to seriously considering a new V7II purchase. Having the option for additional GTech torque and power, on the compliant and beautiful V7 platform, removes the ongoing discussion about limited HP availability on the bike. For a larger rider like myself the additional performance is welcomed. Looking forward to seeing the new dyno specs, along with the revised metrics of your system. Thanks for all the R&D!

Craig K.

Question: does the install have to be done at your shop, a dealer location, or can the kit swap be handled in the home garage? I am very happy to see that you are developing this system into the full 4V kit with heads. Thanks for all the R&D!
Hi Craig, install could be handled in most people's garage, outside of the ECU flash. See Mike's post/thread here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/new-v7-with-4v-heads.14276/ - I'll be working on making it as plug-n-play as possible.
I'm going to give mwrenn all of the credit on the R&D, as without him, the kit wouldn't have come to be. He did all of the legwork and major parts gathering; I was happy to help with valves, pistons and a few minor items, but mainly fueling and timing... So together the kit was born.

If you can get a 10 hp gain with the kit that would really change the dynamics of the bike. A little more torque and HP would help pulling out of the turns and getting back up to a torque curve or staying in it. The one flaw I see with this motor is it's a little on the weak side once you get it on a twisty situation. Other then that it works fine.

For a bike that started life as a 350CC application this differential appears to be over built, it is comparable to a 1000cc boxer from what I can tell, maybe even more substantial. That being said I think you could take one of these motors out a good way without something showing up as a limitation.

These bikes have a great deal of potential, I'm surprised Guzzi have not up the Annie with this bike. It looks as if it can be done without modification to clutch, transmission and drive train.

If you can get a 10 hp gain with the kit that would really change the dynamics of the bike.
I'm not expecting to get 10 with the pistons alone. Mike got ~15 with the 4V head swap per below (red trace is a stock '13 V7, and blue trace is Mike's 4V, stock bore and stock V7 cam)... We're hoping to hit 60 rwhp (a 20 horse gain over stock) with the 820 pistons and 4V heads.

stockborev74v-vs-stockv7-dyno-jpg.8970

WOW. those heads change things a great deal.

Stock looks like it only made 38 peak HP? They advertise 50hp? Did I read that right?

My sincere apologies, I have neglected you all by waiting so long to write this but I was out riding so I hope you can understand.

Life at 750 was great and this is my second V7. I loved both but always wanted a little more punch and felt that the bike did too. The GT 820-2V Big Bore Kit fixed that. Now the bike really roars. The added torque in the low end is just what I was looking for. It pulls hard and smooth all the way through every RPM. It is also a huge plus in the 2-Up department along with Freeway riding when trying to get around traffic or distracted drivers (thank you CA for allowing splitting, shame on everyone else).

Highly recommended / Treat yourself.

Cd0ff9ee f76b 46c4 9d7b e62ec69a4801

Thanks for the post MMD!

This is the first 2V "V7" I've ridden that lifts the front tire on hard throttle in first gear. As Gruzzer says above, the bottom end torque is now really good (arguably what most people likely expect it to be), and the GTM® ported heads really wake things up above 4k RPM.

I'll try to keep one set of bored and re-nikasiled cylinders (with special GTM dark grey cast-look exterior coating) that I can offer as exchange with a core fee, and I'll also try to keep a set of GTM® ported heads for those so interested. Contact me via the tab above for those interested, or best to buy the pistons online first, and I'll be in touch.

Thanks to Gruzzer for being the first to step up! You're forgiven on the tardiness. ;)

Glad you finally have the bike you wanted! Nothing like a few extra cc's and a good fuel map to really wake up the V7's!
Nice looking bike, enjoy it!
Cheers.

Thanks for the post MMD!

I will be watching this thread, would love to see updates and further impressions as time goes by. Quick question for Todd: what is the turn around time for installing this kit? I am far off from being ready (haven't even picked my new bike up yet) but if I did bite the bullet, is it realistic of me to think that I could book an appointment with you and ride down to Cali to have the bike worked on and then ride back home to Quebec, Canada? Food for thought and thanks!

This kit is a real game changer, excited to see more people do it and hear about their thoughts.

will be watching this thread, would love to see updates and further impressions as time goes by. Quick question for Todd: what is the turn around time for installing this kit? I am far off from being ready (haven't even picked my new bike up yet) but if I did bite the bullet, is it realistic of me to think that I could book an appointment with you and ride down to Cali to have the bike worked on and then ride back home to Quebec, Canada? Food for thought and thanks!
This kit is a real game changer, excited to see more people do it and hear about their thoughts.
I just did the second install on our friend from Alberta below.
If I had everything here ready to go (cylinder boring and re-nikasil and re-powdercoating can be timely, but I have a set I am cycling through for easy exchange - along with cylinder heads that have been performance ported), it is possible, but I would allow ~4-5 days here for exchange and final map tweaks, as well as you would need to do 600m/1000k for the head re-torque and valve adjust before heading North.

PK V7II 820

Hey guys, I've had my '13 V7 Stone with the 820 2V + ported head mod for about 2000 miles now, approx 13000 miles on the bike total. Here's my little mini review... In short, it's pretty awesome.

First I think it's important to note that I have a serious thing for the V7, it's a beautiful looking bike and once you take care of the fueling, throw on a nice set of pipes, air filter and change out the suspension, etc., it really starts to shine, but I'd be fibbing if I said there weren't times I kinda sorta wanted a bit more when laying on the throttle. And so on occasion I'd find myself playing around with the idea of picking up a new Bonneville T120 or maybe a Ducati Scrambler, etc.... But regardless of hp, I can't really find a bike that appeals to me in the way the V7 does. Maybe I'm weird but it just looks, feels, and sounds like no other bike on the market today.

So then I thought what the hell maybe I'll just throw some more money at the V7, see what happens. Went ahead and purchased the pistons from the Guzzitech store and emailed Todd to schedule an install, -as I'm lucky enough to be living near his shop and who btw has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. Super knowledgeable and just an all around cool guy. But ok still to be honest after dropping it off, I wasn't all that sure what to expect. This mod isn't exactly cheap and I was sort of wondering about whether the improvement would be significant enough to justify the price. Couple weeks go by and and I finally get an email from Todd saying it's all done. I drive down and after a short convo, we fire it up...

And I was like damn...I don't remember my V7 sounding like a freaking beast! It now had this harmonic clackity racket quality with a deep twang to it when you twist the throttle. I don't even remember being able to hear the motor over the exhausts but now it was loud and it sounded kinda pissed off. Really brought a smile to my face. Still, how does it perform? Doesn't just sound cool no?

No, the thing freaking flies. Taking it down PCH for the first time, it performed how the motor sounded, pissed off, and any concern about investment vs return quickly disappeared. The power comes on effortlessly and the torque off the line feels dramatically improved, so much so that I am now blasting off the line at stoplights where before I was just kind of "taking off". The motor screams on acceleration and has a sweet sounding ring to it when letting off the throttle. And just when it hits 5.5k or so and I'd expect it to run out of breath, it catches me off guard with a surge of power like its inhaling the atmosphere & belching it out the pipes. Where I'd normally start feeling some resistance and a dip, it now has this IDGAF attittude that comes about and it just keeps on flying. I'd imagine that's due in part to the ported heads, a must if you're doing this mod.

All in all, money well spent and I couldn't be happier. I know the new V9 has a similar displacement but I'd be really surprised if it felt anywhere as niiice as this. So thanks again, Todd, really nice job with this one.
JKYgfIsezWBlU_3FTttJ1qLkUftDwnUnvcOvvj9iG-Vl9nLuJ3RTXuZVFCxLbuze5UxtRWIFk1MPx-PLNJu9-U5tp8IaJ0xS8ZB0sEULyI1LtHyfj4eg0SmnFd0E7YJy=s0-d-e1-ft

I'll give an update once I break it in more as the motor still continues to improve.

Last edited:
Todd - Can you add the 820-2V performance to the recent chart that you posted so that we can compare all 4 configurations?

Blue is stock, green is pre-fuel mapping for the 820-2V kit w/GT-Rx® ported heads, and red is the GT-Rx® 820-4V kit. That's all I have.

OEMV7 8202V 8204V

Did anybody ever get an updated Dyno of the 2v kit with the fuel mapping finished? I'm thinking of maybe doing this with some slip ons.

Last edited:
Did anybody ever get an updated Dyno of the 2v kit with the fuel mapping finished? I'm thinking of maybe doing this with some slip ons.
I have the mapping finalized, just not post dyno runs. It is the same as the green tracer lines shown, just much smoother with the dips filled in.

oemv7-8202v-8204v-jpg.11072

UPDATE - I have about 10K miles on the bike now post 820 and the engine is just getting better and better. Throttle response is extremely smooth at every RPM and It really sings from 4,500 on.

I missed the first v7 / v9 ride but hoping there is another one soon.

My sincere apologies, I have neglected you all by waiting so long to write this but I was out riding so I hope you can understand.

Life at 750 was great and this is my second V7. I loved both but always wanted a little more punch and felt that the bike did too. The GT-Rx 820-2V Big Bore Kit fixed that. Now the bike really roars. The added torque in the low end is just what I was looking for. It pulls hard and smooth all the way through every RPM. It is also a huge plus in the 2-Up department along with Freeway riding when trying to get around traffic or distracted drivers (thank you CA for allowing splitting, shame on everyone else).

Highly recommended / Treat yourself.

SPECIAL THANKS:

A) Todd (GuzziTech) for building a kickass kit that ticks all the boxes / giving me the v7 I always wanted AND for saving the day with his brand new Racer 2V performance ported/flowed heads (silver linings) when he discovered a cracked rocker oil supply tube that ultimately revealed a damaged valve and valve guide topped off with a faulty cam.

B) Sean Fader for installing the brand new ultra-hard coated camshaft that…

C) mwrenn, a man whom I have never met and and who was nice enough to literally donate the above mentioned camshaft AND To whom a long overdue apology is also owed - Thank you for kindness and for saving the day.

The Moto Guzzi Spirit is alive and well in Malibu, CA (and also in Enid, OK).

View attachment 9680
I have a 2014 V7 special. Is the kit still available and what's the cost of having it installed?

Now that I've got the kit on and got roughly 300 miles on the bike, I wanted to also add my thoughts. This is from my review of the kit:

Like my exhaust from Guzzitech, my biggest regret is that I didn't do this mod sooner. It's really hard to explain the transformation this kit achieves, but it's creates a whole new visceral and intuitive ride. The way the engine hums so perfectly in this rhythmic balance that gives the bike a whole new level of sophistication while maintaining that Guzzi character we seek. When coming out of a corner there is just this perfect balance of power to pull you away, and straight lines push you back into your seat where it feels like torque is constant. The engine runs so smooth while keeping that guzzi character, you get this new deep intimacy with the canyons that makes for a brilliant ride.

Then on the highway, you'll find yourself going faster than you think you are because the bike's power is delivering at higher RPMs and at higher speeds awhile staying brilliantly collected. It's got this ready to punch feeling to it at 85mph and can easily keep pulling where the stock pistons would drop off. This kit makes riding high speed multi lane freeways a dream, and transforms the bike to a canyon killer and a long travel hauler all at the same time. It's everything I wanted and then more. For the first time, this bike feels like a proper Guzzi that I've read of past generations from the life long Guzzi riders. Before this kit, I liked the v7 before but always found myself looking either towards the Griso or towards other brands because the bike felt great but just not having the "it" factor. After this kit, this bike is a lifetime bike.

For the first time, I look forward to riding "this" bike and not just "a" bike.

Back