• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT NHTSA RECALL NOTICES

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V857000
Manufacturer Piaggio Group Americas. Inc.
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 371
Summary
Piaggio Group Americas. Inc. (Piaggio) is recalling certain 2020 Moto Guzzi V 85 TT motorcycles. The final drive output seal may leak oil onto the rear tire.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=19V857

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V858000
Manufacturer Piaggio Group Americas. Inc.
Components EQUIPMENT
Potential Number of Units Affected 399
Summary
Piaggio Group Americas. Inc. (Piaggio) is recalling certain 2020 Moto Guzzi V 85 TT motorcycles. The footrest mounting pin retaining clip may break, allowing the pin to disconnect and the footrest to fall off the motorcycle.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=19V858

Remedy on both:
The remedy for these recalls are still under development. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Piaggio customer service at 212-380-4433

I've heard the remedy for the final drive leak is to fill it with 20 ml less oil.

But the method of achieving the "correct" level is to use the "cap/dipstick" opening. How does one determine the new level if this is now incorrect? Filling with a specified volume of oil doesn't cut it.

Or am I just whining?

Because you aren't going to get all the oil out when you drain it. So you need to put in the specified amount minus the the oil quantity remaining. How are you meant to calculate this?

The drain hole is near enough to the bottom of the diff, stand the bike upright (I.e. on center stand) to drain and the amount of oil left would be so minuscule it would not matter. BTW I am a mechanical trades person with just on 40 years experience, so I at least have a basic understanding of suck matters. When I get mine this is the method i will use. Or should I say IF I ever get mine, ordered mid August for delivery November, then December and now due in January :mad:

Never used Redline, however In my previous Guzzi's I have run 50/50 the recommended oil and Morey's heavy duty stabilizer, worked very well. Especially in my Sport 1100 diff, it used to burn the oil within a few hundred K, the 50/50 mix stopped that and It was still had no discoloration at the 10000 k services. The Morey's also sticks like the proverbial.

Thanks for the info. I have just had a look to see if my V85TT has any recalls on it at
http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-motoguzzi_en.html
here is the result

"The sent VIN number is : ZGUKWA007KM004245

The request has been forwarded. Result of request:

This chassis number corresponds to vehicle
The following recall campaigns are pending for this vehicle
Footpeg circlips Safety recall campaign
Installation of the gearbox cover Safety recall campaign"

So a trip to the dealers beckons in the new year.

Merry Christmas
Al

Well, now we know what the procedure is going to be to fix the gearbox leak. But I thought the problem was leaking through the final drive output seal. Howz the gearbox cover repair going to fix this?

.. like that: guzzienduro.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=811&page=15

gearbox cover = final drive cover -by guzzi terminology?

-KG-

Thanks for the info. I have just had a look to see if my V85TT has any recalls on it at
http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-motoguzzi_en.html
here is the result

"The sent VIN number is : ZGUKWA007KM004245

The request has been forwarded. Result of request:

This chassis number corresponds to vehicle

So a trip to the dealers beckons in the new year.

Merry Christmas
Al

I have now received a letter from Piaggio confirming the recalls.

so are all the ones on dealers floors in the recall group?
So far the bike I'm to pick up next week at AF1 does not show up on the recall list. I don't know if that's because it's not on the list of if it's because AF1 already fixed it. I'll ask more questions next week when I get there.

One would think that after many years of building shaft drive motorcycles that Moto Guzzi would have figured out how to design a rear drive that will not leak?

Apparently, the part number for the bevel box kit is 2B0072291, valued at around 8 Euro / £7.60 GBP. It's described as a 'KIT COPERCHIETTO SCATOLA TRASMISSIONE' or 'TRANSMISSION BOX COVER KIT'. Has anyone had one fitted yet?

My V85TT also falls within the range of recalled VIN's. No letter received yet.

Apparently, the part number for the bevel box kit is 2B0072291, valued at around 8 Euro / £7.60 GBP. It's described as a 'KIT COPERCHIETTO SCATOLA TRASMISSIONE' or 'TRANSMISSION BOX COVER KIT'. Has anyone had one fitted yet?

My V85TT also falls within the range of recalled VIN's. No letter received yet.
The recall was done on my bike before I took delivery. If I'm looking at the right piece, all I can see is a tab on the top of the final drive unit. Not ready to take the wheel off yet just to take a look.

With these recalls do they happen quite quickly or does it take a few hundred miles? Also, where does the leak appear exactly?

It’s a process with your dealer. Requires a visual of VIN#, miles, parts and leak. This is what the rear drive leak looks like...

22D29040 9DFB 48E0 AD50 302363180BC7

2020 V85tt. Purchased bike in April 2020. Dealer delivered 125 miles to my driveway. Traded my '09 BMW R1200GS. First ride about 40 miles; really pleased. After ride beer, I noticed a small amount of oil on rear rim. Wiped it up and didn't worry about it. Next day, did some research and found a guy saying there was a safety recall on this known issue. Did another 40 miles. Noticed oil spun off the rim toward the tires grip surface. Damn, leak didn't fix itself! E-mail dealer; Oh, yeah, gotta replace a seal. Can you bring it to us this week. Not being set up to carry a broken bike 125 miles, I told him I'd see what I could do. He relented and sent one of his guys to pick it up. He did request that I figure out a way to come get it after repair. Fair enough. He didn't have to come get it; can't blame the dealer for the factory's screw-ups. Anyway, got a trailer hitch installed on my Jeep and bought a small motorcycle trailer. They had the repair done in about 4 days; went and retrieved it. So far, so good. Keepin' an eye on it...

20200506 152747

Back