• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III engine: torque, HP, transmission sweet spot

lucydad

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
All,

On a lark today I test rode a Kawasaki Ninja 400 twin. HP on the bike is claimed to be close to my Guzzi, about 48-50. But wow, a lot less torque! The Ninja was pretty, light, nimble and could get to speed. But I was in 5th and 6th gears almost immediately.

Reminded me how the V7 III really has a sweet spot of performance. Lot heavier than the Ninja though.

Next up is testing a Triumph 1200 CC Speed Twin with two times torque and HP of my Goose. We will see, pondering a new bike. Triumph weight similar to my Guzzi. And great dealer.

Still low confidence starting my bike, but it seems stable, for now.

Wish Guzzi had a quality Houston, TX dealer, and Luigi in Mandello would put the V85 engine into a more road bike frame with accessible, to me, seat height.

Wish Guzzi had a quality Houston, TX dealer, and Luigi in Mandello would put the V85 engine into a more road bike frame with accessible, to me, seat height.
A 750 V-twin vs. most any smaller inline engine will be pale in torque and sound.
If you’re in new Triumph territory $-wise, why not consider a GTM build? Mike Haven can keep it going forever, and I eliminate all of the electrical issues. I’ll have one for sale soon for $18.5k - 1100-2V powered, 90 rwhp, 425 lbs, 30” seat height.
I owned a 2016 Thruxton-R for a year for my rental fleet. Top heavy, good power but soulless (and a real PITA to work on; Dealer dependent). I’ll be curious to hear what you think compared to the V7 III.

A 750 V-twin vs. most any smaller inline engine will be pale in torque and sound.
If you’re in new Triumph territory $-wise, why not consider a GTM build? Mike Haven can keep it going forever, and I eliminate all of the electrical issues. I’ll have one for sale soon for $18.5k - 1100-2V powered, 90 rwhp, 425 lbs, 30” seat height.
I owned a 2016 Thruxton-R for a year for my rental fleet. Top heavy, good power but soulless (and a real PITA to work on; Dealer dependent). I’ll be curious to hear what you think compared to the V7 III.

Wow, temptation. The Triumph Speed Twin in Red I was considering: sold, gone. Popular bikes. My V7 III Special appears to have forgotten its starting problem? Italian women are definitely fickle. Mike is phenomenal, yet I worry about his health and longevity.

Ok, please let me know more. about your upcoming bike for sale. You hit the weight and seat height numbers as I am a small guy.
You never know, I am bored, already cancelled trips to Hawaii, NYC and Amsterdam...email me the specs please.

Sat on a Triumph Speed Twin yesterday-- excellent fit for my small frame. Dealer setting one up for a test ride. I am interested enough to see how the bike performs. Guzzi would be traded out if I move ahead with purchase. I will post impressions after test, and comparison to the Guzzi.

Ok, please let me know more. about your upcoming bike for sale. You hit the weight and seat height numbers as I am a small guy.
You never know, I am bored, already cancelled trips to Hawaii, NYC and Amsterdam...email me the specs please.
OK, email sent just now.

Test ride on Triumph Speed twin this morning: dealer put it in rain mode. Good fit to my small frame, mediocre performance in rain mode, but utterly lacking any "character, charm, panache". My V7 III Special gushes those elusive characteristics. Frankly, I just don't see the enthusiasm for the modern Triumph water cooled twins. Small block Guzzi punches above its weight. Keep wondering what it would be like to have a goose with higher HP and torque, but keep the low weight. Might find out.

Back