• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bloody mechanics

BrianR

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
After just about working from front to back with the Stelvio, finally took it out and it went great, save for the fact when I got home it was leaking liking the Torrey Canyon (look it up!). However it looks like my mechanic had left off a washer on the oil pressure sensor. I'm definitely never using myself as a wrench again!
You might have to look at the picture from a different angle as it is coming down from the front of the left pot...my abilities with a camera are the same as those with a tool

Attachments

• leak 1.jpg
    leak 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 52
Oh well, lesson learned. You aren't the only one to make a mistake so don't beat yourself up about it.

If only that was the first or even the last. I have just had the starter on the bike apart as it doesn't seem to be totally unengaging when running. Just one more thing, but I love how the bike allows me to try to fix it, almost teasing me with "its really simple, how hard can it be" kind of look. I figure once I fix it and the bike is running, that we are together the sum total of both of our efforts and all the better for it. Both the Griso and the Stelvio now have 60,000 Kms from new in 2015 and 2016, and they run like tops most of the time and the advice and help from this site is amazing.

There is something very satisfying about wrenching your own bike. When things go well and the job is done the euphoria even outweighs the frustration of previous failures.

Paper, pen, checklist...

Properly working on a motorcycle, takes place on paper way BEFORE a wrench ever should touch the motorcycle.

A fair amount of the work in my workshop, comes from people who did not understand this fact.

They failed to realize, that for the average home mechanic, you have completely forgotten how something came apart, 10 minutes after you finished disassembling it, let alone, days, weeks, months, or even sometimes, years later.

It never ceases to amaze me how people dig their own grave willingly.

Another thing, in todays modern world, I cannot over-emphasize is to take lots of digital photos, before, all during, and at the end. It cost nothing but a few seconds time, but It is so unbelievably helpful, having pictures. Simply lovely.

Last edited:
Scott, I try, I really do, even with a list and photos, my overall cackhandedness just simply flows over every logical approach:worried::worried:. However, I really embrace the "stuckness" of every incident and do learn, so that the same mistake is never made again.
Consequently, I really appreciate all of the help that skillful engineers such as yourself can give me and 99% of the time, the knowledge of others gets me through, so all in all, I remain in that Zen place...that and several beers and the realization that every mistake can be fixed, given the limitations of my bank account:cool::cool:

It's even worse when you get a box of bits that someone else dissembled. That was my start to motorcycling.
That was my introduction to Moto Guzzi - bought several boxes containing a T3 Cali from North Notts in the early 80's, chucked it in the back of a mates van and off to my garage .... only took me two days to build it up and get it running ready for the MOT

Thank you Rushjob, for dropping me yet another place down in the league of mechanical skills on this site....only 4 days to build up a bike from boxes and get it running.:worried::worried::worried: Right now I am putting down the spanners and drink will be my best friend!
In all seriousness, that is a great achievement in 96 hours, Bravo:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you Rushjob, for dropping me yet another place down in the league of mechanical skills on this site....only 4 days to build up a bike from boxes and get it running.:worried::worried::worried: Right now I am putting down the spanners and drink will be my best friend!
In all seriousness, that is a great achievement in 96 hours, Bravo:clap::clap::clap::clap:
I thang you :cool:
In my defence the engine and gearbox were complete lumps so it was just a big lego / meccano set :nod::nod:. If they'd been in bits then a few days more would have been needed........

I live in Burnaby and have tinkered with a few bikes , if I can be of help in the future , don't hesitate to PM me .
(some times misery likes company :) ). Peter

After just about working from front to back with the Stelvio, finally took it out and it went great, save for the fact when I got home it was leaking liking the Torrey Canyon (look it up!). However it looks like my mechanic had left off a washer on the oil pressure sensor. I'm definitely never using myself as a wrench again!
You might have to look at the picture from a different angle as it is coming down from the front of the left pot...my abilities with a camera are the same as those with a tool
Just had a thought re the Torrey Canyon, courtesy of Blaster Bates........ "The RAF bombed it for two days, dropped one hundred 1000lb bombs on it and hit it twice! I tell you what, in the next war I'm gonna sit slap bang in the target area - after all, it was stuck on a rock and it wasn't even bl**dy firing back!" :D:D

Just had a thought re the Torrey Canyon, courtesy of Blaster Bates........ "The RAF bombed it for two days, dropped one hundred 1000lb bombs on it and hit it twice! I tell you what, in the next war I'm gonna sit slap bang in the target area - after all, it was stuck on a rock and it wasn't even bl**dy firing back!" :D:D

I wouldn't advise that with today's technology.

True, but this was 1967 we were talking about, a different world, combined with British humour ;)

The British have no sense of humor...except their 5 princes (Charles, Andrew, Edward, William and Harry) are the very definition of comical... :D

I feel so sorry for Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh...

Back