• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Grrr....Valve Clearance

I can't speak for other Guzzi's , but the round head ones definitely tighten up when hot .

That's interesting that for round head Guzzis (and Harleys) the clearance reduces. I guess everybody should check theirs for each model they own. I know that dealing with a hot motor to check valve clearances ain't easy.

Half correct , the HD valve clearances increase ( a lot ) , the roundhead Guzzi clearances decrease . Which I find hard
to fathom . HD and Guzzi , both alloy cylinders and heads , both alloy pushrods , both with iron rocker box supports that
4 head studs go through and single cam and also alloy cases . Still has me kinda baffled , but I was called out on it and
took it to heart to prove him wrong ( My Bad ). That proved me to be wrong . Now I know . Peter

What Harleys are you talking about? Harleys have had hydraulic lifters for many years. No adjustments necessary except for preload if you are using adjustable pushrods. Then you take out the slack and then turn so many more flats to set them. I am confused.
kk

What does it matter? The factory specified clearances are specified as they are to be correct when the engine is at running temp. Set them within tolerance cold and they'll be within tolerance hot. Easy peasy!!

^^^ That was the point of the discussion , they have hydraulics because the clearance grows so much with heat .
My reference was to the fact that the Guzzi engine with so many similarities in design actually had clearances
shrink with heat . Hope that's a bit clearer

^^^ That was the point of the discussion , they have hydraulics because the clearance grows so much with heat .
My reference was to the fact that the Guzzi engine with so many similarities in design actually had clearances
shrink with heat . Hope that's a bit clearer

The Cali 1400 does not have hydraulic tappets.

Where did you get this information from? The service manual doesn't mention it, in fact quite the opposite.

I used a smidgeon of common sense. Do you ride around on your bike all day with the engine cold? (If so, how?) Of course they need to be correct when the engine is at its designed running temp.

^^ I believe you may have missed the remarks starting with reply # 20 .
In particular when reference was made to " Le Mans 2 " .

What about Nomex gloves?

And titanium gauges ?
( so the gauge doesn’t expand when used on the Hot engine )

:D
When the engine is running the valves are much hotter (longer) than when the engine is stopped!
The clearance is for a running motor, not for a warm engine stopped...

WHAT !
You want us to check the gap of a Running engine,
i tried but the wrenches kept flying off, and it was squirting so much Hot oil on my Covid face shield, I could hardly see !

Last edited:
When I check a Valve clearance I raise the rockers with one hand and put the jauge with the other.
So I measure a slightly larger clearance.

No.... why would you do that? It is counter to anything having to do with adjusting valve clearances. Get the engine to TDC, and then check with the engine COLD per the manual.

"ADJUST WITH COLD ENGINE, WITH PISTON AT TOP DEAD CENTRE (TDC) IN COMPRESSION
STROKE (VALVES CLOSED)"

Come on guys, do your reading instead of depending on "opinion". The only opinion that counts is that of the manufacture.

Back